Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 02:06 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,734,665 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwest Indiana View Post
When you say south Hammond, do you mean the Forest/Ivanhoe district? If so, then that is also a good choice...That is a nice area!
yes ... the closest area to Munster.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2010, 03:33 PM

59 posts, read 140,199 times
thank you for the heads up, i figured it would be cold in the winter, i guess i was asking if it gets pretty warm in the summer? we are getting excited about the move and look forward to meeting some of the fine folks up your way. Jeff Boy

Old 01-28-2010, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffersonvillenative View Post
thank you for the heads up, i figured it would be cold in the winter, i guess i was asking if it gets pretty warm in the summer? we are getting excited about the move and look forward to meeting some of the fine folks up your way. Jeff Boy
the lake affects the weather year round ... lake effect snow ... cool lake breezes ... but it can get hot and humid, but not for extended periods like down here in southern indiana. Be prepared for a lot of eastern european last names you won't have any idea how to pronounce ... yikes! But on the flipside ... you'll be in ethnic food HEAVEN!!! And don't poo poo Chicago. Once you get familiar with the area, you'll have the south shore train to take you into the city for a day of fun! No need to drive!

Old 01-29-2010, 06:47 AM

Ive visited Chicago once, i found it was pretty cool. Im just not a big city kinda guy. But my wife has a childhood friend who lives up there so im sure we will "go into town " often.

Old 01-29-2010, 12:40 PM

44,360 posts, read 20,066,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffersonvillenative View Post
I've lived in NWI my entire life (except for several months in 1981). Yes, it gets real cold up here! When I got up this morning in Valpo it was 6 degrees. (But I happen to LOVE bitter cold, so I was happy with that!) June through September can produce daily high temps anywhere from low 60s to mid 90s (some dips or spikes lower or higher than those). July and August get pretty hot and humid most years.

I agree with poster NorthwestIndiana that Dyer would be a good choice for you. I'd push for Valpo, but the drive would be another 45 minutes - at least - longer drive to your work than Dyer would.

I have a good friend who lives in Greenville, IN, and have visited her several times, so I'm familiar with beautiful downstate IN. That some pretty scenery you've got there! Though we don't have the same beautiful, hilly country up here, we do have the Indiana Dunes State Park and Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore. Nice beaches on Lake Michigan, and plenty of good places to take your pups for a run! Lots of great communities around NWI with plenty of great shopping, parks and easy access to Chicago and to SW Michigan, which is another great place to visit.

Good luck with house hunting, congrats on the job, and welcome to NWI!

Old 01-29-2010, 01:27 PM

Thanks PJ8, If everybody is as nice and friendly as you guys on this forum, im sure we will love it! It was 16 degrees this morning down here and we are supposed to get some snow tonight (1-3 inches). Which will probably shut the city down LOL. Greenville is really nice, we love going up to Hubers farm and winery( goood cheap buzz). We do love the beaches and cant wait check out the Dunes. Thanks again. Jeff Boy

Old 01-30-2010, 07:43 AM

302 posts, read 607,966 times
I wanted to take a moment to sincerely thank everyone on this thread for all their information and greatly appreciate everyone sharing their knowledge of the area.

Depending on the winter weather, I am also planning to move to NW Indiana by early March. However, I currently live south of Boston, Massachusetts. There is no family here and when I moved here over a year ago, only knew 1 person. I have been blessed to make several great friendships and have found that people are friendly in this area. The employment rate is the worst that it's been since the 70's and although I have many qualifications...there are apparently many more people qualified. Add to this, the fact that all my friends are married and I'm single, so there isn't much nightlife or potential dating possibilities for me....LOL.

Being fortunate in not having much to keep me here, I can relocate anywhere. There are no children; just my pup.

My original plan was to move to Texas, where it's much warmer and snows less....LOL. That's a big difference from Indiana...you may say. Yes, I concur with that! Indiana though has someone that has become very special to me....so for the sake of love! So, here I find myself interested in finding information about the state that I'll soon call "home"!

If anyone should know of jobs available, kindly let me know. Thank you in advance for any assistance that you may be able to provide.

P.S.. I was told that folks are nice there, which is obviously apparent.

Old 01-30-2010, 08:36 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,350,394 times
JeffBoy--One more thing you will definitely appreciate about NWI is that they know how to do snow removal right! Experience pays in this case. I also agree with suggestion of Dyer.

angelfish, you seem like a very nice person, and I love seeing someone that sees the glass as half full. I hate to continue to say this repeatedly, but jobs are scarce in NWI. The Ford plant JeffBoy is referring to is not likely to be hiring new people. I saw a news segment a couple of days ago that indicated they will call back laid off workers and pull in transferees first.

Old 01-30-2010, 11:20 AM

rrah .. you got the snow removal issue right!!!! holy cow, I've never seen such incomptence in my life as I do down here in dixie-ana.

"there's an ice storm coming! there's an ice storm coming" <--------we hear this for at least 2 days
then the city acts surprised when everyone is skidding off the roads because there wasn't any action taken during the warning period.

it makes me want to jump in a martini and not come out until the spring thaw.

Old 01-30-2010, 11:39 AM

You are correct domer, it is pathetic how bad louisville metro is about road prep for weather. As far as the ford plant hiring, we were told that in the ford system there is only 400 laid off, so the likelyhood of them hiring in people at the new second tier pay scale is pretty good. Of those 400, 260 of them are from L.A.P, we get first crack at the jobs in Chicago but most of those wont or cant leave louisville. We are getting updates daily on how it will all shake out. Jeff Boy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana