Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2021, 05:32 PM

11,061 posts, read 12,456,973 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
Statewide, it has to be good right? Lots of Ohioans have moved elsewhere in the country, and I have to think a decent number of them will move back if they can keep their current employment.

On the downside, I think it could hurt a lot of urban revitalization efforts and lead to further sprawl since commutes won't matter as much. I expect to see not only with where people choose to live, and also with where companies choose to locate (presuming they still have some degree of physical operations, even if not a full time 40 hour on-site workforce)
Communities do matter and I think this last year should prove that to people. I really don't think there is evidence of any further sprawling, at least at greater rates than normal. I think we are all viewing very very young "trends" are inevitable but I don't think that's necessarily the case. For example, I don't really think remote work is going to be dominant, probably more flexible remote policies. But people are going to still work at physical places, as we always have as humans for our entire history. I am far from the only one that appreciates leaving home. Also, I saw some stat in the Plain Dealer the other day saying that downtown Cleveland apartment vacancy rates took a hit of.... 4% since last year. I'm not even sure that accounts for some of the new buildings available now or not. But regardless, that seemed like pretty good news to me. The single worst year in probably all of our lifetimes and the hit is just 4%, I'll take that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2021, 03:57 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,443,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
I really don't think there is evidence of any further sprawling, at least at greater rates than normal.
I've seen considerable sprawl in less developed communities in Lake County. In Painesville and Concord Townships, just in the last year remaining farmland rapidly is being converted to housing projects. Sadly, I suspect similar trends would be evident in portions of Geauga County, Medina County and Lorain County. IMO, it's a disaster long-term, as in the not distant future we'll need all of the temperate farmland possible. Additional, development precedes congestion.

Old 03-17-2021, 05:55 AM

11,061 posts, read 12,456,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
I've seen considerable sprawl in less developed communities in Lake County. In Painesville and Concord Townships, just in the last year remaining farmland rapidly is being converted to housing projects. Sadly, I suspect similar trends would be evident in portions of Geauga County, Medina County and Lorain County. IMO, it's a disaster long-term, as in the not distant future we'll need all of the temperate farmland possible. Additional, development precedes congestion.
Yes, this kind of thing has been destroying the countryside for a while and it's especially a shame because nobody will even inhabit these in 30 years, yet they will still be standing and deteriorating (only made to last about that long anyway). However, I do not believe this is related to anything from the last year. People have had bad taste for a long time.

Old 03-24-2021, 09:17 PM

3,298 posts, read 3,892,853 times
Ohio has to stay red to grow. Money is moving to the Republican exurbs.

Old 03-29-2021, 11:26 AM

611 posts, read 365,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post

What does that mean..?

Old 03-30-2021, 05:42 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,068,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYO View Post
Does anyone have an estimate of how much of Columbus's growth is from intrastate moves vs out of state? I know a lot of people who have moved there from other parts of Ohio, but none who moved from a different state.

Ohio State is about 30% out of state students. I wonder how many of them stick around after they graduate.
Late reply, but no one else answered.
Columbus, specifically, no, but we do have numbers for Franklin County. Migration estimates for 2014-2018 is the latest available. During that time, Franklin County gained net from 36 states/territories including Ohio, PR and DC, so Columbus almost definitely gained from most of those places since it is the biggest attractor in the county by far. Here were the average annual estimated gains and losses from each state during that period.

Ohio: +7,022
North Carolina: +742
New Jersey: +709
Pennsylvania: +688
New York: +627
Virginia: +548
Michigan: +383
Illinois: +350
Idaho: +250
Puerto Rico: +221
Washington: +193
Indiana: +173
Delaware: +172
West Virginia: +165
Minnesota: +158
Massachusetts: +146
Tennessee: +142
DC: +141
New Hampshire: +141
Utah: +140
Kentucky: +137
Rhode Island: +112
Louisiana: +111
Connecticut: +107
Nevada: +99
Alaska: +88
Vermont: +57
Nebraska: +36
Hawaii: +32
Montana: +21
Arizona: +12
Arkansas: +12
Alabama: +4
Iowa: +3
Wyoming: +3
Maine: +1
South Dakota: 0
Mississippi: -5
Wisconsin: -25
Oklahoma: -75
Colorado: -78
New Mexico: -115
North Dakota: -132
Oregon: -219
Missouri: -239
Maryland: -244
Kansas: -462
South Carolina: -745
Georgia: -1,016
Florida: -1,034
Texas: -1,099
California: -1,147

Here are the annual totals per region.
Northeast: +2657
Midwest w/Ohio: +7267
Midwest w/o Ohio: +245
South: -1892
West: -721

In terms of the last 4 states, the the losses all seem heavily concentrated into one particular area of those states. For California, more than half of the loss is to Santa Clara County (-591). For Florida, Polk County takes about 40% (-412). For Georgia, Gwinnett County takes 70% (-702), and for Texas, 36% of the loss is to Harris County (-399).
It's also interesting to note that long-term trends show Ohio's contribution has been gradually decreasing while the non-Ohio contribution has been increasing. This is true not just in percent, but in totals. If there is any coming criticism that Columbus gets most migration from Ohio, almost every major city gets the majority from its home state.

Old 04-05-2021, 09:57 AM

4,009 posts, read 5,733,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
I could not disagree more. We need a better educated work force. The Republicans want to dumb down the populace. There needs to be more high tech jobs. This is the way of the future and will help our state prosper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio