Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2022, 09:16 AM

2,295 posts, read 2,370,269 times

Advertisements

The single, undisputed best sandwich in Ohio, is a Tony Packo's Hungarian Hot Dog from Toledo. Spicy Hungarian sausage, split, and grilled, with Hungarian chili, mustard, onions, and cheese. A Toledo staple since the 1930s. For non-believers, go the original Front Street location, ask for two dogs, and a beer, then thank me later. Just enjoyed one all the way down in San Antonio, Texas courtesy of a surprise Christmas delivery!

I will concede the Polish Boy is a close second.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2022, 10:08 AM

19,788 posts, read 22,688,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXStrat View Post
The single, undisputed best sandwich in Ohio, is a Tony Packo's Hungarian Hot Dog from Toledo. Spicy Hungarian sausage, split, and grilled, with Hungarian chili, mustard, onions, and cheese. A Toledo staple since the 1930s. For non-believers, go the original Front Street location, ask for two dogs, and a beer, then thank me later. Just enjoyed one all the way down in San Antonio, Texas courtesy of a surprise Christmas delivery!

I will concede the Polish Boy is a close second.
Packo's was my choice. Maybe only due to childhood memories. It was a treat to go there when I was a kid living outside of Toledo in Graytown. Last time I had a Packo's original was about 30 years ago. Damn they are good.

Old 03-14-2022, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Packo's was my choice. Maybe only due to childhood memories. It was a treat to go there when I was a kid living outside of Toledo in Graytown. Last time I had a Packo's original was about 30 years ago. Damn they are good.
Was near Toledo in the mid-90s for an Army recruiting stint, in Amish country of all places, and was able to grab them on a semi-regular basis. Got a shipment from family this Christmas of frozen dogs, and chili. Really hit the spot!

Old 03-15-2022, 11:43 AM

3,343 posts, read 10,939,919 times
The Italian Sub at Brother's Pizza and Restaurant is the best Italian sub I've had anywhere. Cortland, Ohio. Cash ONLY.

Old 03-16-2022, 10:51 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,987,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
Corky & Lenny's, Greater Cleveland's iconic Jewish deli, offers corned beef and latke sandwiches (see "Beef and Latkes" under favorites). I've eaten corned beef sandwiches all over the U.S., and this is my favorite, although Corky & Lenny's offers great traditional corned beef sandwiches and Reubens.
Corky and Lenny's is all right, but I don't think it lives up to the hype. The Matzo Ball soup is really good.

I prefer Jack's Deli on Cedar, specifically Rafael's Potato Pancake Sliders (one corned beef, one pastrami). Comes with Don Hermann pickles on the side, which are the best pickles I have ever had. You can get those at Heinen's though, so it's not specific to Jack's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Swenson's, Galley Boy.
Good answer, but definitely NE Ohio only.

Frisch's Big Boy might be the more overall Ohio answer. Tartar sauce on a burger isn't found very often outside of Ohio.

Quote:
The single, undisputed best sandwich in Ohio, is a Tony Packo's Hungarian Hot Dog from Toledo.
Packo's is definitely a better restaurant experience, and has all of the history and fame around it, but I really like Rudy's a lot better. I love the no frills cafeteria style dining.

Old 03-17-2022, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
Packo's is definitely a better restaurant experience, and has all of the history and fame around it, but I really like Rudy's a lot better. I love the no frills cafeteria style dining.
I like Rudy's as well, but for a just plain good Coney dog, there's no place like Charlie's! The snap of the natural casing dogs, the house made chili, the perfect fries on the side, amazing! His location in Southwyck Mall, just called Coney Island was a regular stop on weekends. The owner always used to tease me as a kid, asking if I wanted a beer. He'd then bring me root beer in a frosted mug. The first time I came home on leave from the Army, he got me a real beer, and refused to let me pay for it. Good man.

Old 03-18-2022, 07:59 AM

7,082 posts, read 8,950,769 times
Quote:
The single, undisputed best sandwich in Ohio, is a Tony Packo's Hungarian Hot Dog from Toledo.
Klinger always mentioned Tony Packo’s on M*A*S*H

Old 03-21-2022, 06:47 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,450,165 times
Default Food & Wine's best sandwich pick for Ohio

Here's the prestigious "Food & Wine" magazine pick for best Ohio sandwich:

<<All-beef down to the casings shipped from Germany, the hickory smoked ring bologna from Troyer's—in business for just shy of a century, with the same family still in charge—has very much earned its spot on the food pyramid in Ohio's Amish heartland, a year-round destination for hungry travelers. There are other sandwiches in the state that are easy to love, but the nearly primitive hot bologna and swiss on a bun, made to order with serious efficiency at the very historic Troyer's General Store, has achieved longevity for a reason: its stark simplicity. That, and we're talking bologna that is really damn delicious. The whole experience—the sandwich, the vintage country store energy, the brusque pair we've often found behind the counter, working with extreme efficiency—belongs in a museum.>>

https://www.foodandwine.com/travel/r...ca-every-state

Troyer General Store is in Dundee, Ohio (the article omitted the location), in the northwestern corner of Tuscarawas County at the intersection of state routes 93 and 516.

https://troyerstrail.com/

It shouldn't be confused with Troyer Country Market in Millersburg in Wayne County. The Country Market sells "Troyers Trail Bologna," but I'm not certain it's the same product made at the General Store in Dundee. It probably is, but perhaps call the general store and confirm.

https://troyerscountrymarket.com/pro...trail-bologna/

https://troyerscountrymarket.com/

https://www.ohiosamishcountry.com/ar...country-market

Dundee is 20 miles from Millersburg.

Old 03-21-2022, 07:27 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,450,165 times
Default Food Network lauds Banter's Polish Boy

The Food Network picked Banter's Polish Boy sandwich as one of the best sandwiches in America. See slide 31:

https://www.foodnetwork.com/restaura...hes-in-america

Banter reportedly plans to reopen a Cleveland location at the former Minh Anh (sadly, a very good, now closed Vietnamese restaurant) at Gordon Square.

https://www.news5cleveland.com/lifes...-gordon-square

The Banter location in Shaker Height's Van Aken District is easily reached by taking the Green Line rail rapid from the Tower City Transit Center to the Green Line terminus at Van Aken.

An acclaimed food critic has rated Banter as one of the 10 best restaurants that he has visited globally, mostly for its poutine. I like the Polish Boy much more, but I would ask for the French Fries on the side (I hate French Fries on sandwiches).

https://www.cleveland.com/entertainm...s-of-2018.html

This article features the restaurant closed and not yet reopened in Gordon Square. Sokolowski's, linked in the article, also is closed. COVID wreaked havoc on the Cleveland restaurant scene.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...ine/829453002/

Note that in 2017, Larry Olmsted, the author of the list, included Michael Symon's Mabel's BBQ in downtown Cleveland on East 4th St. on his best restaurant list. Mabel's and the Map Room, also downtown, also reportedly serve up Polish Boy sandwiches, but I've never had them.

https://www.thisiscleveland.com/blog...h-boy-sandwich

BTW, see slide 58 for the best sandwich I ever had -- the Tri-Tip from the Firestone Grill in San Luis Obispo, CA. It doesn't look like much, but the taste is the thing! Perhaps I was just famished. This sandwich is widely acclaimed in California.

Old 03-22-2022, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
Troyer General Store is in Dundee, Ohio (the article omitted the location), in the northwestern corner of Tuscarawas County at the intersection of state routes 93 and 516.
One of the very few bright spots of being an Army Recruiter in the Ohio Amish country, Troyer's Trail Bologna, and the various Amish restaurants in the area. Der Dutchman, The Amish Door, etc. They were a very welcome change to the normal recruiting diet of what ever you could grab from a drive-thru window between points A and B.

It was always fun in the 90s processing paperwork, sending it up to MEPS in Cleveland, and getting it kicked back for spelling errors, then spending 30 minutes on the phone with some inky staff drone explaining that Gnadenhutten, and Tuscarawas were indeed spelled correctly. We finally sent them maps from the Tuscarawas country road department to minimize the back and forth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio