Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2021, 04:26 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,435,692 times

Advertisements

This article says a "Polish Boy" kielbasa sandwich, occasionally found in Greater Cleveland, is Ohio's best sandwich.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle/...dgntp#image=36

The only excellent Polish Boy that I've ever had was from Banter in the Van Aken Food Hall in Shaker Heights.

Menu — Banter Cleveland

Many Clevelanders would pick as the city's best a corned beef sandwich or Reuben, perhaps from Slymans. Of course, corned beef sandwiches aren't unique to Cleveland or Ohio.

So I might pick a fried yellow perch sandwich as Ohio's best, much more a regional specialty than corned beef.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2021, 07:41 PM

41,957 posts, read 75,183,468 times
Walleye sandwich at Brennan's in Grand River. Load up the fries with vinegar.
Italian sub (or any sub, really) from Milano's in Dayton.
Corned beef sandwich from Izzy's in Cincinnati, with extra kraut from the crock on the table, and a piping hot potato pancake.
Barbecue sandwich (coleslaw on top with a Hudy 14K on tap to wash it down) at the City View in Cincinnati.

Oh, heck, I can't decide.

Old 12-31-2021, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Walleye sandwich at Brennan's in Grand River.
I prefer Brennan's Lake Erie Yellow Perch sandwich to the Lake Erie Walleye Sandwich. The perch is just more tasteful.

https://brennansfishhouse.com/menu/

Ditto, the Lake perch sandwich at the fun Jolly Roger's in Port Clinton, Ohio, a bargain-priced perch sandwich. A lake walleye sandwich also is offered at Joly Roger's, a fast casual restaurant.

https://m.facebook.com/menu/photo/?p...=page_internal

Quote:
Corned beef sandwich from Izzy's in Cincinnati, with extra kraut from the crock on the table, and a piping hot potato pancake.
Izzy's sounds great!!!

Corky & Lenny's, Greater Cleveland's iconic Jewish deli, offers corned beef and latke sandwiches (see "Beef and Latkes" under favorites). I've eaten corned beef sandwiches all over the U.S., and this is my favorite, although Corky & Lenny's offers great traditional corned beef sandwiches and Reubens.

https://www.corkyandlennys.com/menu-...-0b8557d7-556a

Old 12-31-2021, 06:38 AM

Dave's Cosmic Subs are legendary in Greater Cleveland, but I've never thought any subs compared well to those I consumed voraciously in New Jersey with sub rolls provided by the Italian People's Bakery in Trenton.

https://www.davescosmicsubs.com/

Italian Bakery | Trenton & Mercerville, NJ, Levittown, PA

Old 12-31-2021, 08:42 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,617,672 times
The fried bologna sandwich in Marion, Ohio. I forgot the name of the restaurant.

Old 12-31-2021, 10:33 PM

157 posts, read 110,249 times
Quote:
Walleye sandwich at Brennan's in Grand River. Load up the fries with vinegar.
Italian sub (or any sub, really) from Milano's in Dayton.
Barbecue sandwich (coleslaw on top with a Hudy 14K on tap to wash it down) at the City View in Cincinnati.

Oh, heck, I can't decide.

I have to agree with you about Izzie's, great food there. If a bit pricey.

Old 01-01-2022, 03:53 AM

2,912 posts, read 1,248,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
The fried bologna sandwich in Marion, Ohio. I forgot the name of the restaurant.
That's at the G&R Tavern in Waldo.

Old 01-02-2022, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
This article says a "Polish Boy" kielbasa sandwich, occasionally found in Greater Cleveland, is Ohio's best sandwich.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle/...dgntp#image=36
I left out my dislike of sandwiches which include French fries, such as a Polish Boy. I always take off the French fries in such sandwiches, partially because I don't enjoy eating messy sandwiches, but also because the fries ruin the taste of other ingredients, such as a great piece of sausage as in the Banter Polish Boy.

The removed French fries aren't very good either, often soggy with sauce that doesn't well compliment the fries. I agree with another poster that a light coating of vinegar is my favorite condiment for French fries, with catsup on the side as dip second.

Old 03-12-2022, 03:19 PM

8,886 posts, read 4,580,593 times
Foot Long Hot Dog with Sauce and Pickle at the Shake Shoppe in Gallipolis.

A close second is Sally's Hillbilly Cheeseburger (fried bologna) at the Red Door Tavern in Grandview (Columbus urb)

Old 03-13-2022, 06:50 AM

50,371 posts, read 63,964,084 times
Swenson's, Galley Boy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio