Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2022, 08:09 AM

4,876 posts, read 4,210,962 times

Advertisements

Not that I'm the ultimate foodie or anything close...but the sandwich I crave most is Mr. Hero Romanburger.

It's the one thing I must have when I come to Cleveland.

Well, that and Malley's (but that's another thread!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2022, 02:10 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,453,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunetunelover View Post
Not that I'm the ultimate foodie or anything close...but the sandwich I crave most is Mr. Hero Romanburger.

It's the one thing I must have when I come to Cleveland.

Well, that and Malley's (but that's another thread!)

I never considered that Mr. Hero has locations only in northern Ohio, and as far south as Columbus.

https://rentechdigital.com/smartscra...-united-states

The Romanburger is very, very good. I suddenly want one!

Malley's -- Bourdeaux??? I gift boxes because I believe it's the best, most unique food product made in Greater Cleveland. Great subject for a thread!

Old 03-23-2022, 07:57 AM

4,876 posts, read 4,210,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
I never considered that Mr. Hero has locations only in northern Ohio, and as far south as Columbus.

https://rentechdigital.com/smartscra...-united-states

The Romanburger is very, very good. I suddenly want one!

Malley's -- Bourdeaux??? I gift boxes because I believe it's the best, most unique food product made in Greater Cleveland. Great subject for a thread!
OMG Bourdeaux are my absolute favorites!

Yeah, Mr. Hero is only in Ohio. I have tried to make them myself but they always fall short...

Old 04-01-2022, 02:28 AM

24,125 posts, read 32,504,304 times
Lake perch or Walleye sandwiches. I never had one until I moved to Ohio.

Best Italian hero sandwiches I have had are served at Jimmy's in Liberty.

Old 04-05-2022, 07:20 PM

13 posts, read 6,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
This article says a "Polish Boy" kielbasa sandwich, occasionally found in Greater Cleveland, is Ohio's best sandwich.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle/...dgntp#image=36

The only excellent Polish Boy that I've ever had was from Banter in the Van Aken Food Hall in Shaker Heights.

Menu — Banter Cleveland

Many Clevelanders would pick as the city's best a corned beef sandwich or Reuben, perhaps from Slymans. Of course, corned beef sandwiches aren't unique to Cleveland or Ohio.

So I might pick a fried yellow perch sandwich as Ohio's best, much more a regional specialty than corned beef.
We know corned beef sandwiches aren't unique to Ohio but we are the largest consumers of corned beef in the nation. And a fried yellow perch sandwich is definitely is not our trademark sandwich. Not sure where you are from but please go back and you can keep those perch sandwiches. Corned beef and Polish Boys is Ohio's sandwich.

Old 04-06-2022, 09:23 AM

11,066 posts, read 12,466,771 times
Did anyone grow up eating Polish Boys? I just kinda feel like it's a sorta manufactured phenomenon, at least personally, I had never had a Polish Boy until I finished college. I am not sure that anyone's moms ever made them Polish Boys for holidays or whatever.

Old 04-06-2022, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Did anyone grow up eating Polish Boys? I just kinda feel like it's a sorta manufactured phenomenon, at least personally, I had never had a Polish Boy until I finished college. I am not sure that anyone's moms ever made them Polish Boys for holidays or whatever.

Great point! Growing up near Lake Erie in the 1950s and 1960s, the perch were very plentiful. I grew up eating large amounts of fried perch in fishing season.

Never heard of Polish Boys until sometime in the past decade, not even when working downtown for many years in the 1970s and 1980s and eating regularly at the old Otto Moser's on East 4th St. When I first heard of Polish Boys, I had a hard time figuring out where to buy one!

I've always sought out restaurants that served fried perch. In that regard, I greatly miss the perch specials at Sokolowski's University Inn on Fridays.

I confess that I rarely wreck fried perch by ordering a sandwich, only when ordering takeout to eat in a car.

My dad loved fried sausage sandwiches. He used ring sausage purchased from a Central Ohio butcher of whom he had long familiarity. He would slice the sausages in half before frying, and serve them in sandwiches with caramelized onions and mustard. Much better than Polish Boys with coleslaw.

Nobody with any knowledge of American cuisine would classify corned beef sandwiches as special to Cleveland in any way.

Old 04-06-2022, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmills330 View Post
We know corned beef sandwiches aren't unique to Ohio but we are the largest consumers of corned beef in the nation. And a fried yellow perch sandwich is definitely is not our trademark sandwich. Not sure where you are from but please go back and you can keep those perch sandwiches. Corned beef and Polish Boys is Ohio's sandwich.

Please document that "we" are the largest consumers of corned beef in the nation. Fascinating, if true, but it's a claim that sounds ridiculously made up, especially given our relatively small Irish and Jewish populations compared to NYC.

If you weren't a one-post wonder and had read this forum for years, you wouldn't have any doubts about where I was from, so no other place to "go back" to, especially when requested to do so by some obnoxious poster. And many Greater Clevelanders, including several posters in this thread if you had bothered to read it, will gladly keep our perch sandwiches!

Old 04-09-2022, 06:58 PM

41,974 posts, read 75,239,807 times
Quote:
No need to be rude. And the question is Ohio's best sandwich, not Ohio's trademark sandwich. Reading is fundamental.

Old 04-10-2022, 03:38 AM

2,912 posts, read 1,250,313 times
Quote:
I can assure you in my part of Ohio (North Central), Fried Yellow Perch Sandwiches ARE the trademark sandwich. The Sandusky Fish Company and DeMore's Fish Den both see plenty of my business from May through October.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio