Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2022, 04:47 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,420,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Regardless of anyone's personal opinions here, I do think there are a lot more "pro-life" young people than is commonly assumed, and probably even more who simply don't see it as really effecting them, certainly not enough to uproot oneself and leave or to refuse a good opportunity.
The Pew Research Center is renown for the quality of its polls, polling much larger numbers of individuals than the vast majority of polls increasing the statistical probability of their detailed breakdowns.

Pew just released its most recent abortion poll, which surveyed 10,441 adults from March 7-13, before the Supreme Court leak. Polls subsequent to the leak and especially the release of the final Supreme Court decision in June IMO will increase the pro-choice percentages. My thinking is that some sizable portion of Americans haven't thoroughly considered until recently the ramifications of abortion restrictions on women's health and mental stability, public welfare and other social expenditures, insurmountable family financial burdens that result from an unwanted pregnancy, and family dysfunction if parents, especially single parents, are overwhelmed by a new birth, most especially if the mother's health is impaired. Firm opponents of abortion are ideologically driven and their opinions are NOT influenced by such actual realities.

Anyway, young cohorts are much, more opposed to abortion restrictions than older cohorts, according to the Pew March survey. In the 18-29 and 30-49 aged cohorts, 74 percent and 62 percent, respectively, said that abortion should be legal in all cases or with exceptions. For the 50-64 and 65+ cohorts, the percentages were 55 and 54 percent, respectively. Not surprisingly, the younger age cohorts must deal with the ramifications of abortion restrictions.

https://www.pewresearch.org/religion...ion-views_1_2/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2022, 05:09 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,432,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
The Pew Research Center is renown for the quality of its polls, polling much larger numbers of individuals than the vast majority of polls increasing the statistical probability of their detailed breakdowns.

Pew just released its most recent abortion poll, which surveyed 10,441 adults from March 7-13, before the Supreme Court leak. Polls subsequent to the leak and especially the release of the final Supreme Court decision in June IMO will increase the pro-choice percentages. My thinking is that some sizable portion of Americans haven't thoroughly considered until recently the ramifications of abortion restrictions on women's health and mental stability, public welfare and other social expenditures, insurmountable family financial burdens that result from an unwanted pregnancy, and family dysfunction if parents, especially single parents, are overwhelmed by a new birth, most especially if the mother's health is impaired. Firm opponents of abortion are ideologically driven and their opinions are NOT influenced by such actual realities.

Anyway, young cohorts are much, more opposed to abortion restrictions than older cohorts, according to the Pew March survey. In the 18-29 and 30-49 aged cohorts, 74 percent and 62 percent, respectively, said that abortion should be legal in all cases or with exceptions. For the 50-64 and 65+ cohorts, the percentages were 55 and 54 percent, respectively. Not surprisingly, the younger age cohorts must deal with the ramifications of abortion restrictions.

It's a pretty big drop in opposition to restrictions in those two groupings, in general, I think it's indicative of a gradual more conservative trend of aging. But regardless, it is one thing to say "I oppose abortion restrictions" and quite another to say "I will not live anywhere that has any abortion restrictions." I just don't think this is how people lead their lives. The number of people who get abortions every year is honestly not that large, especially compared to the entire population. Young professionals with white color jobs will always be able to get their abortions out of state if they want it. I don't see this as similar to needing to live near a major well respected medical institution for some chronic disease treatment. I think it's categorically quite different. Just my opinion.

Old 05-09-2022, 06:28 PM

14,668 posts, read 14,631,326 times
Speaking for myself, I’m not going to move just because of anti-abortion laws, but if I was to move it would be a serious consideration for my new home. The same way many people feel about freedom of gun ownership, people feel about ownership over one’s own body. Ohio is already not the most attractive destination given lack of an ocean and some of the greyest skies in the country…adding in repressive laws on a divisive issue like abortion definitely won’t help.

Old 05-09-2022, 08:50 PM

24,095 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roodd279 View Post
Well - that was certainly something NOT in the OP.

Back to that - nope - I don't think so - because your question implies that all young people are democrats.

And while it's probably true that a simple majority are - another thing that's true is - a HUGE majority of folks, red, blue, anything else - do not listen and do not care to the continuous noise that IS politics.

Most young people I know are woefully uninformed about any political matter, have never voted, never registered vote, and have no idea, for instance, that one party stands for one thing and another party, another thing.

Most folks do not live their life around politics.
One does not need to be a Democrat to be pro-choice. Barbara Bush was pro-choice.

Old 05-09-2022, 09:32 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,420,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
One does not need to be a Democrat to be pro-choice. Barbara Bush was pro-choice.
Barbara Bush likely is a RINO to much of today's Republican mainstream, especially as Trump has successfully vilified the Bush family. Look at "Repub/lean Repub" and "Cons/Mod" in the partisanship analysis here:

If I had more time, I would like to study this survey to learn what percentage of respondents either were "Mod/Lib" or "Cons/Mod." I suspect there may be a large potential base for a new, IMO badly needed, centrist party based on good government and scientific principles.

Old 05-10-2022, 01:50 AM

13,641 posts, read 9,698,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBideon View Post
For the most part, people are not moving for social issues or identity politics. They relocate or stay for work and work opportunities, cost-of-living, city/region vibrancy, and often weather.
Generally, yes. For similar reasons, and to summarize a related recent thread, a mass-migration due to climate change is also unlikely. People move primarily for reasons of jobs or family. Even weather or culture are secondary.

That said, one of my own considerations in leaving Ohio and moving to California was socio-political. While by no means has it been entirely a success, I do find that my current environment, which to oversimplify might be caricaturized as the "out of touch, coastal elite", much more closely aligns with personal views, than did my former locale.

Old 05-10-2022, 06:20 AM

1,212 posts, read 501,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
If the U.S. Supreme Court does overturn Roe v. Wade, enabling Ohio Republicans to ban or even more severely restrict abortion rights in Ohio, will there be a negative impact on Ohio housing prices and the state's ability to retain, let alone attract young workers? This Marketwatch.com article discusses the issue. Marketwatch is a Fox News organization closely affiliated with the Wall St. Journal and Barron's magazine.

<<And if you ask Americans, they’re likely to tell you this is the case. An October 2020 survey from Realtor.com found that 55% of people thought it was important to live in a place where people hold similar political views. Young people were more likely to say that political kinship with their neighbors was important.

Despite that, that same survey found that only 42% of respondents reported living in communities that mirrored their views, while 28% said their neighborhoods actually held opposing views. And migration trends that have played out during the COVID-19 pandemic would suggest that politics aren’t top of mind when Americans choose to purchase a home....

However, corporate relocation as a result of Roe v. Wade being overturned would likely have more power in influencing the house-buying decisions.>>

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/if...earch_headline

Yet if you're a couple of child-bearing age, do you want to live anywhere where laws might actually restrict a physician's willingness or even ability to discuss abortion options, perhaps to save a mother's life, let alone to perform those procedures?

<<
Anna's water had broken too early for the baby to survive. She and Scott spent the night of their wedding in the emergency room, trying to take in the heartbreaking news.

"Basically, the doctor looked at me and was like, well, the baby's underdeveloped," says Anna. "Even with the best NICU care in the world, they're not going to survive."

And as painful as it was to hear that, the doctors told Anna there was another urgent concern.
" 'You're at a high chance of going septic or bleeding out,' " she says the doctors told her — a risk of infection or hemorrhage, which could become deadly. " 'And unfortunately, we recommend termination, but we cannot provide you one here in Texas because of this law.' ">>

https://www.npr.org/2022/02/28/10835...n-law-6-months

Personally, I believe you have to be ignorant of the potential risk to choose to live in such a medically challenged state if you were a couple with a woman of child-bearing age, whether or not a pregnancy is contemplated (accidents still happen). What woman wants to live in a state that bans abortions after a rape, or even limits the ability of "day-after" pills? Ohio Republicans likely would ban abortion pills from being sold in Ohio pharmacies, and perhaps from even being shipped into the state.

https://www.tpr.org/bioscience-medic...-look-to-texas

Zero impact on housing prices, and the same for companies employers getting or retaining female employees...especially the ones with degrees that have mobility as they are the least likely to get an abortion.

Abortion rates, just like teen pregnancy rates, have plummeted massively over the past few decades.
The use of very effective, easy to get, and inexpensive contraception is the primary reason. This combined with there are about 3 days out of 30 that a woman can get pregnant really should relate to abortion should be a rare thing.

Old 05-10-2022, 08:12 AM

4,021 posts, read 1,872,571 times
One does not need to be a Democrat to be pro-choice.

Oh gosh, completely agree! But the OP was about "Ohio Republicans."

Thus, the assumption must be that the folks unwilling to move here are democrats.

Anyone (including young people) that actually DOES follow politics - knows that it changes, always. Let's say you move here now, because of republican policies - then should we be worried that republicans will leave the state if a democrat is in charge? No. Because it changes. The entire OP is a bit of a drama situation - not with regard to a serious topic, abortion, but with the idea that folks would center their lives around it - not just SOME folks, but enough that it will affect the housing market, etc. Seems unlikely. Not moreso than the last, oh, 100 years or whatever. Drama for no reason.

Old 07-08-2022, 06:33 AM

24,095 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roodd279 View Post
Well - that was certainly something NOT in the OP.

Back to that - nope - I don't think so - because your question implies that all young people are democrats.

And while it's probably true that a simple majority are - another thing that's true is - a HUGE majority of folks, red, blue, anything else - do not listen and do not care to the continuous noise that IS politics.

Most young people I know are woefully uninformed about any political matter, have never voted, never registered vote, and have no idea, for instance, that one party stands for one thing and another party, another thing.

Most folks do not live their life around politics.
It does not "imply that young people are all Democrats". It states the FACTS that most Americans - whatever their age - are at least 75% PRO CHOICE in many if not most circumstances.

People of childbearing years want to live in a state where THE LIFE of the MOTHER comes before that of a FETUS. So do their parents.

Many people do not have the means to deal with raising a severely handicapped child. It's a life long commitment. I have no relatives who would help is this situation. I am not alone is that.

Most people agree that RAPE is a deal breaker when it comes to bearing a child. I have never been raped, but the very idea of carrying a part of a person who brutally sexually assaulted me? OR having my daughter have to do that - or any girl or woman is REPUGNANT.
If you want your child to carry the product of an assault, you are in the minority.

When the daughter is THEIRS - you would be surprised - or maybe you wouldn't - about how many parents who are registered as Republicans do not want their daughters to give birth out of wedlock and before their education is complete.

If termination of pregnancy is made difficult or impossible, these wealthy people will contact a doctor friend who can provide a D and C, document it as needed for endometriosis, or heavy menstrual bleedings.
MY PARENTS - both registered Republicans told us this - before we even had our periods. They did not want to raise infants, and they believed in traditional childbirth after marriage. As mainline Protestants they never once thought of the termination of an unplanned and unwanted pregnancy as "murder".

Only fanatics like Sarah Palin believe this way. Her family is an unabashed train wreck.

I personally know of young people who were thinking of moving to Cleveland and changed their minds when this happened.

This ruling affects Ohio is a HORRIBLE and NEGATIVE way.

Old 07-08-2022, 08:42 AM

5,294 posts, read 5,235,996 times
This ruling is why the Ohio Democrat Party Leadership must do a much better job of getting out the vote...if 80% of registered Dems voted in this state we'd be able to turn the tide on these evil restrictions of women's rights.
Republican leadership has screwed this state up enough...under their leadership we continue to lose congressional seats...we continue to fall behind the rest of the country in quality of life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio