Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 09:05 PM

3,070 posts, read 11,923,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillside View Post
there is something false in what i said. columbus has the 2nd largest somali population in america. not sure on the total number of africans, but there seems to be a lot of ethiopians and eritreans as well. my apologies.
Oh. So much for "trust me, it's true." I found a link but this is from wikipedia, so I dont know how true it is: African immigration to the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ,Columbus isnt in the top 10, but it is briefly mentioned.

Anyways back to the number of African-Americans in the metros(from wikipedia also, but the numbers check out)List of U.S. metropolitan areas with large African-American populations: - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
17. Cleveland: 419,000
34. Cincinnati: 216,000
35. Columbus: 206,000

For what thats worth. Clevelands metro has the most, with as many African-Americans as Cincinnati and Columbus metros combined, and this is not even including Akron-Canton. All 3 of them have pretty large African-American Communities though. Not sure what that means for the best and worst though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2008, 09:14 PM

2,204 posts, read 6,717,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cle440 View Post
Oh. So much for "trust me, it's true." I found a link but this is from wikipedia, so I dont know how true it is: African immigration to the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ,Columbus isnt in the top 10, but it is briefly mentioned.

Anyways back to the number of African-Americans in the metros(from wikipedia also, but the numbers check out)List of U.S. metropolitan areas with large African-American populations: - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

For what thats worth. Clevelands metro has the most, with as many African-Americans as Cincinnati and Columbus metros combined, and this is not even including Akron-Canton. All 3 of them have pretty large African-American Communities though. Not sure what that means for the best and worst though.
A stat like this should never be used this way.

The correct way would be to post percentages.

Old 10-20-2008, 09:19 PM

3,070 posts, read 11,923,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincy-Rise View Post
A stat like this should never be used this way.

The correct way would be to post percentages.
Why not? the numbers alone prove that there is at least a large community in all 3 areas. And all 3 metros have generally around the same population since Clevelands doesnt even include Akron. Cleveland- 2.3 million, Cincinnati- 2.1 million, Columbus- 1.7 million.

Also the percentages are in the link:
Cleveland: 18.6%
Cincinnati: 11.7%
Columbus: 13.4%

Old 10-20-2008, 09:42 PM

1,071 posts, read 4,452,854 times
Quote:

well, you found out it was true, didn't you?

"Anyways back to the number of African-Americans in the metros". we were never on that. that was you talking about it, so you could pull out that stat.

Old 10-20-2008, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Why not?
Well ... who has the largest black population: NYC or Detroit? NYC, right ... since it has about 2.3 million black people? Well, if NYC's population is ~28-29% black then why do blacks make up about 83% of Detroit's population since NYC has more blacks.

Easy math, friend. You will use percentages almost 98% of the time when discussing cities and 99.9% of the time when comparing them.

Quote:
... the numbers alone prove that there is at least a large community in all 3 areas. And all 3 metros have generally around the same population since Clevelands doesnt even include Akron. Cleveland- 2.3 million, Cincinnati- 2.1 million, Columbus- 1.7 million.

Also the percentages are in the link:
Cleveland: 18.6%
Cincinnati: 11.7%
Columbus: 13.4%
Since I could go online and change wiki's MSA on Cincy to 10 million people, let's stick to the census ... besides, there's no way us urban freaks missed the headlines: "Cincinnati metro passes Cleveland's"

Here you go, haus: Annual Estimates of the Population of Metropolitan and Micropolitan Statistical Areas (http://www.census.gov/popest/metro/CBSA-est2007-annual.html - broken link)

Population Estimates Data Sets (http://www.census.gov/popest/datasets.html - broken link)

Cincinnati: 2,133,678
Cleveland: 2,096,471
Columbus: 1,754,337

Old 10-20-2008, 10:12 PM

A little tidbit ... I'm a guide on ChaCha (human answering service - for fun) and we're not allowed to use Wiki to answer questions. I'll use it every now and then, especially if I know the figure but can't remember the exact number, but I'll remember it when I see ... that kind of thing, but I try to avoid it. People like you and I can go on and edit the info. Also, many speech professors will not allow you to use wiki in speech debates.

Last edited by Cincy-Rise; 10-20-2008 at 10:36 PM..

Old 10-20-2008, 10:17 PM

... something else in case anyone forgot what an MSA is or how it is formed ... from the Census:

About Metropolitan and Micropolitan Statistical Areas
The United States Office of Management and Budget (OMB) defines metropolitan and micropolitan statistical areas according to published standards that are applied to Census Bureau data. The general concept of a metropolitan or micropolitan statistical area is that of a core area containing a substantial population nucleus, together with adjacent communities having a high degree of economic and social integration with that core. Currently defined metropolitan and micropolitan statistical areas are based on application of 2000 standards [ PDF | Plain text ] (which appeared in the Federal Register on December 27, 2000) to 2000 decennial census data. Current metropolitan and micropolitan statistical area definitions were announced by OMB effective June 6, 2003.

Standard definitions of metropolitan areas were first issued in 1949 by the then Bureau of the Budget (predecessor of OMB), under the designation "standard metropolitan area" (SMA). The term was changed to "standard metropolitan statistical area" (SMSA) in 1959, and to "metropolitan statistical area" (MSA) in 1983. The term "metropolitan area" (MA) was adopted in 1990 and referred collectively to metropolitan statistical areas (MSAs), consolidated metropolitan statistical areas (CMSAs), and primary metropolitan statistical areas (PMSAs). The term "core based statistical area" (CBSA) became effective in 2000 and refers collectively to metropolitan and micropolitan statistical areas.

OMB has been responsible for the official metropolitan areas since they were first defined, except for the period 1977 to 1981, when they were the responsibility of the Office of Federal Statistical Policy and Standards, Department of Commerce. The standards for defining metropolitan areas were modified in 1958, 1971, 1975, 1980, 1990, and 2000.

Defining Metropolitan and Micropolitan Statistical Areas

The 2000 standards provide that each CBSA must contain at least one urban area of 10,000 or more population. Each metropolitan statistical area must have at least one urbanized area of 50,000 or more inhabitants. Each micropolitan statistical area must have at least one urban cluster of at least 10,000 but less than 50,000 population.

Under the standards, the county (or counties) in which at least 50 percent of the population resides within urban areas of 10,000 or more population, or that contain at least 5,000 people residing within a single urban area of 10,000 or more population, is identified as a "central county" (counties). Additional "outlying counties" are included in the CBSA if they meet specified requirements of commuting to or from the central counties. Counties or equivalent entities form the geographic "building blocks" for metropolitan and micropolitan statistical areas throughout the United States and Puerto Rico.

If specified criteria are met, a metropolitan statistical area containing a single core with a population of 2.5 million or more may be subdivided to form smaller groupings of counties referred to as "metropolitan divisions."

As of June 6, 2000, there are 362 metropolitan statistical areas and 560 micropolitan statistical areas in the United States. In addition, there are 8 metropolitan statistical areas and 5 micropolitan statistical areas in Puerto Rico.

Principal Cities and Metropolitan and Micropolitan Statistical Area Titles

The largest city in each metropolitan or micropolitan statistical area is designated a "principal city." Additional cities qualify if specified requirements are met concerning population size and employment. The title of each metropolitan or micropolitan statistical area consists of the names of up to three of its principal cities and the name of each state into which the metropolitan or micropolitan statistical area extends. Titles of metropolitan divisions also typically are based on principal city names but in certain cases consist of county names.

About Metropolitan and Micropolitan Statistical Areas

Old 10-21-2008, 06:51 AM

2,365 posts, read 4,375,044 times
to avoid all the arguments from the past. IMO msa and csa's are subjective and ever changing. i always thought this pic of populations in ohio shows it best. seeing is believing..... N.E. Ohio has 4.5 million of the states population, almost half of the states total.

Old 10-21-2008, 06:56 AM

2,365 posts, read 4,375,044 times
and i will also say , marion and mt.vernon are no where near columbus but get counted in their csa.. very subjective is my point.. sorry for getting off topic

Old 10-21-2008, 09:50 AM

1,071 posts, read 4,452,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1watertiger View Post
to avoid all the arguments from the past. IMO msa and csa's are subjective and ever changing. i always thought this pic of populations in ohio shows it best. seeing is believing..... N.E. Ohio has 4.5 million of the states population, almost half of the states total.
northern kentucky or se indiana isn't on that map.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio