Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2021, 06:49 PM

1,853 posts, read 1,954,036 times

Advertisements

As someone who has been a visitor (albeit for a few months every stretch of time), I would say both communities are great in their own ways. I prefer Laguna to live due to it's topography, small town, laid back vibe. However, as far Newport is concerned, it has all the urban amenities one could need: professional offices, great restaurants, shopping, and a lot to do in an upscale environment. It really is dependant on your preferences and what you value.

On a personal note, I thought I would enjoy Newport Beach more than Laguna as I am business owner, Republican and enjoy dining out however the network of friends that I have built in Laguna, those early morning jogs down Cress passing by Bluebird Park, and weekday afternoons at Thousand Steps beach made me a Laguna lover.

Having said all of that, I just want to say that whether it's Newport or Laguna, you all are very lucky to be in such a beautiful part of the country. I have been watching Laguna/Newport real estate for a buying opportunity. Even as I build up my latest venture in New York City, I have kept an eye out for West Coast (Newport) office presence, should the opportunities align. Next year, I'll be back in the area for 2-3 month break to recharge. Besides a week in Santa Barbara, I'll be staying put in Laguna.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2021, 09:11 PM

12,807 posts, read 9,532,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forzalugano View Post
Laguna gets less of the riffraff than Newport. Newport gets inland Santa Ana trash and others frequenting the beaches causing problems in the area, drunken bar fights etc etc.
IdK, I was in Laguna lasat weekend ,and there was definitely the #merica type riff raff.

Old 05-03-2021, 11:56 AM

162 posts, read 231,431 times
If I had the means to choose, I’d go with Newport, up in the hills where it isn’t so crowded. Laguna appeals to me more as a place to hang out, but the houses there are all built one right on top of The next and it’s just way too stuffy and cramped for my tastes.

Old 05-10-2021, 09:48 AM

10,988 posts, read 6,852,461 times
Laguna Beach, hands down. Newport is too trendy and superficial for my taste. And IMO Laguna is more beautiful. YMMV.

Old 06-05-2021, 10:03 AM

5,093 posts, read 2,654,205 times
This is an informative thread. Does anyone know if there a noticeable presence of gay people in Laguna? Also, what is the average rent for a decent (standard not luxury) 1 or 2 BR apartment in the area?

Old 06-05-2021, 01:12 PM

2,209 posts, read 1,780,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongymjunkie View Post
This is an informative thread. Does anyone know if there a noticeable presence of gay people in Laguna? Also, what is the average rent for a decent (standard not luxury) 1 or 2 BR apartment in the area?
Can't tell you how many Gays are there now, but when growing up in OC, Laguna Beach was very full of them, restaurants were there specifically for them also. Not a problem then, and now I have no idea and don't care. Never a problem of any kind.

Old 06-05-2021, 11:54 PM

4,477 posts, read 3,297,632 times
Quote:
A 1 bedroom is $2,000-3,000. 2 bedrooms start at around $3,500.

There isn't a "noticeable" presence of gays because no one seems to care anymore. Laguna Beach was a gay Mecca up until maybe 12 to 13 years ago, but all the gay bars, coffee houses and restaurants have closed, but because I think not many people think they are still needed.

I'd be willing to bet that Laguna still has a sizable gay population, relative to the rest of the county, but "noticeable"isn't a word I'd use.

Old 06-06-2021, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
A 1 bedroom is $2,000-3,000. 2 bedrooms start at around $3,500.

There isn't a "noticeable" presence of gays because no one seems to care anymore. Laguna Beach was a gay Mecca up until maybe 12 to 13 years ago, but all the gay bars, coffee houses and restaurants have closed, but because I think not many people think they are still needed.

I'd be willing to bet that Laguna still has a sizable gay population, relative to the rest of the county, but "noticeable"isn't a word I'd use.
Thank you for the information. That particular question was directed primarily at gay people or those who know gay people. Whether most people "care" about the presence of gays is debatable, but it is still good to be around others who are like you in some ways, especially in a world that is decidedly heterosexual. The disappearance of gay venues seem to follow similar patterns in other high-cost cities where the gay population may not be large enough to support such venues. That's my theory anyway.

Old 06-06-2021, 06:00 AM

4,477 posts, read 3,297,632 times
Quote:
Thank you for the information. That particular question was directed primarily at gay people or those who know gay people. Whether most people "care" about the presence of gays is debatable, but it is still good to be around others who are like you in some ways, especially in a world that is decidedly heterosexual. The disappearance of gay venues seem to follow similar patterns in other high-cost cities where the gay population may not be large enough to support such venues. That's my theory anyway.
Laguna Beach is a very small city. It was probably only 19,000 or so when the gay clubs were at their peak, it was never supported by the gay population in LB alone, it was the population of all of Orange County that kept the clubs open. Guys from LA would go down to the Boom Boom Room on Sundays for its famous beer busts, but the need for the clubs seems to have dried up. The clubs were in Laguna Beach because the owners knew the LB police wouldn't hassle them.That's my theory anyway.

Old 06-06-2021, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
Laguna Beach is a very small city. It was probably only 19,000 or so when the gay clubs were at their peak, it was never supported by the gay population in LB alone, it was the population of all of Orange County that kept the clubs open. Guys from LA would go down to the Boom Boom Room on Sundays for its famous beer busts, but the need for the clubs seems to have dried up. The clubs were in Laguna Beach because the owners knew the LB police wouldn't hassle them.That's my theory anyway.
I'm not really sure what your interpretation of "need" is. If by "need" you mean places where gays go to avoid being hassled, that was certainly an element 40+ years ago. But apart from that, gay venues are also a means by which gays socialize and meet other gay people, just like mainstream bars and mainstream food and entertainment venues for which there still is a demand. Gay venues still exist in some cities throughout the country. There is much debate about whether the internet has caused reduction of their presence in some cities or not. While tech is definitely a factor, I tend to think it also relates more to regional gentrification, costs, and globalization affecting some areas more than others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County