Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2021, 01:41 PM

6 posts, read 11,026 times

Advertisements

Which beachtown do you think is OC's best - Laguna or Newport?

Personally, I think Laguna is better as it keeps its beach heritage alive and incorporates a unique culture of art and tolerance. I love how the city sometimes feels like a work of art itself when I take in the views at the main beach.

Newport is nice too, and is full of beautiful houses. However, I just can't help but get a weird vibe from the locals. People seem obsessed with money, vanity, looks, etc. It seems like Newport is the town of keeping up with the Joneses, complete with yachts, luxury cars, ostentatious mansions, etc.

Laguna residents seem like beach people who happen to be rich, while Newport residents seem like rich people who happen to live on a beach.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2021, 04:07 PM

1,231 posts, read 1,659,658 times
I think each beach city is unique in it’s own way. Last summer, I vacationed in Laguna Beach spending about a week in August and three days in September. Laguna Beach has been known as an artist colony since its founding with a certain bohemian vibe that goes along with that. The city is host to the Summer Festival of Arts and Pageant of the Masters. Laguna Beach has a population under 25,000 with only two access routes, the Coast Highway (SR-1) and Laguna Canyon Road (SR-133).

Whereas Newport Beach is a larger city (about 85,000-90,000 population) that’s more commercial oriented given its close proximity and accessibility to Irvine, Costa Mesa, Santa Ana, and the John Wayne Airport. One thing I like about Newport Beach is the Crystal Cove State Park and Beach.

I really enjoyed my visit to Laguna Beach, so much so that I made a return visit in September. However next time I’m in Orange County, I would like to explore Newport more, particularly Corona del Mar and Crystal Cove.

And don’t forget that Huntington Beach, Seal Beach, Dana Point and San Clemente have great attributes as well.

Last edited by sacreole; 02-06-2021 at 05:20 PM..

Old 02-06-2021, 05:00 PM

2,209 posts, read 1,780,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacreole View Post
I think each beach city is unique it’s own way. Last summer, I vacationed in Laguna Beach spending about a week in August and three days in September. Laguna Beach has been known as an artist colony since its founding with a certain bohemian vibe that goes along with that. The city is host to the Summer Festival of Arts and Pageant of the Masters. Laguna Beach has a population under 25,000 with only two access routes, the Coast Highway (SR-1) and Laguna Canyon Road (SR-133).

Whereas Newport Beach is a larger city (about 85,000-90,000 population) that’s more commercial oriented given its close proximity and accessibility to Irvine, Costa Mesa, Santa Ana, and the John Wayne Airport. One thing I like about Newport Beach is the Crystal Cove State Park and Beach.

I really enjoyed my visit to Laguna Beach, so much so that I made a return visit in September. However next time I’m in Orange County, I would like to explore Newport more, particularly Corona del Mar and Crystal Cove.

And don’t forget that Huntington Beach, Seal Beach, Dana Point and San Clemente have great attributes as well.
Yes, the lack of multiple access points to Laguna Beach is a real pain the Summer. Not to mention parking. Now I like the downtown area and the beaches, but Newport Beach has far more as it includes Newport, Balboa, the Balboa island (and other islands in the bay), Corona Del Mar State Beach and Crystal Cove. Easier to go to other areas as well. Different vibes, but both cities are nice for sure. I would pick Newport over Laguna as it is easier to go to Laguna just when you want to, than living there with the road access issues.

Old 02-06-2021, 05:42 PM

14,299 posts, read 11,677,294 times
Both of them have absolutely gorgeous beaches. A beach without cliffs behind it does not look right to me!

I have a special place for Laguna Beach because of strong family ties that go back to the 1960s. My grandmother lived down by Woods Cove for a number of years, and we made at least one visit to the Art Festival every year, to see several of the local artists who were close friends, and also to the Sawdust Festival. My parents started taking me there when I was still in a stroller, and when we kids got a little older and quickly tired of talking to artists, we'd just walk down to Main Beach for a while. It's all embedded in my memory. (And I can say that even back in the 1970s, traffic coming back up the canyon road on a summer night was a nightmare!)

On the other hand, I also love Corona del Mar. My own kids and I had a beach day there with friends every Friday all summer long, for years. These are also very special memories. I love walking around the neighborhoods there, too.

Newport/Corona is easier to get to than Laguna and i do love it, but if I had to choose just one, I'd have to pick Laguna. It is more historical and more unique.

Old 02-18-2021, 09:11 AM

36 posts, read 43,205 times
I live and work in Laguna Beach. I am a local real estate agent. Laguna Beach has a town feel and is chill. People here love nature and being outdoors. This is not a place where you find people looking for Grand.

Newport has more nightlife. If you are looking for "fancy" and creature comforts go to Newport. If you are looking for nature goto Laguna Beach.

Old 02-18-2021, 10:45 AM

1,221 posts, read 1,046,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacificwave View Post
Which beachtown do you think is OC's best - Laguna or Newport?

Personally, I think Laguna is better as it keeps its beach heritage alive and incorporates a unique culture of art and tolerance. I love how the city sometimes feels like a work of art itself when I take in the views at the main beach.

Newport is nice too, and is full of beautiful houses. However, I just can't help but get a weird vibe from the locals. People seem obsessed with money, vanity, looks, etc. It seems like Newport is the town of keeping up with the Joneses, complete with yachts, luxury cars, ostentatious mansions, etc.

Laguna residents seem like beach people who happen to be rich, while Newport residents seem like rich people who happen to live on a beach.
They're both great in their own ways. Laguna Beach is more charming in my eyes (architecturally, artist community vibe) but Newport Beach is more livable with wider streets and easier access to freeways.

Old 02-19-2021, 10:54 PM

4,477 posts, read 3,297,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacificwave View Post
Which beachtown do you think is OC's best - Laguna or Newport? Personally, I think Laguna is better as it keeps its beach heritage alive and incorporates a unique culture of art and tolerance. I love how the city sometimes feels like a work of art itself when I take in the views at the main beach. Newport is nice too, and is full of beautiful houses. However, I just can't help but get a weird vibe from the locals. People seem obsessed with money, vanity, looks, etc. It seems like Newport is the town of keeping up with the Joneses, complete with yachts, luxury cars, ostentatious mansions, etc. Laguna residents seem like beach people who happen to be rich, while Newport residents seem like rich people who happen to live on a beach.
I think you have a very superficial understanding of each town. Newport is four times bigger and has distinct, unique neighborhoods. Balboa Island is nothing like Corona del Mar and nothing like the Peninsula and different from West Newport and so on. Laguna Beach does have distinct neighborhoods too. If you want to see "obsessed with money, vanity, looks, etc" in Laguna Beach, look at Emerald Bay and Irvine Cove.

Old 02-27-2021, 07:09 PM

661 posts, read 832,364 times
Laguna gets less of the riffraff than Newport. Newport gets inland Santa Ana trash and others frequenting the beaches causing problems in the area, drunken bar fights etc etc.

Old 03-27-2021, 02:31 AM

6 posts, read 10,616 times
I've always enjoyed Laguna. Both Newport and Laguna have their benefits, but personally I am more attracted to the small town beach feel. Downtown Laguna is always a pleasure to walk around. Worst part about Laguna is definitely the traffic, but I guess anywhere along PCH on the Orange Coast has bad traffic...

Old 03-27-2021, 11:03 PM

104 posts, read 376,015 times
If you’re rich enough, Newport Beach is better. I’d much rather live in Pelican Hill or Crystal Cove compared to expensive homes in Laguna Beach. If I only had $2M to spend then ya I’d probably pick Laguna Beach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County