Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2021, 04:23 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,974,368 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossy View Post
Here in the bay area Los Gatos, Palo Alto and Los Altos have nice downtowns you can walk to with restaurants and shops. I think Laguna would be the closest to what I am thinking. Thank you for the suggestions. The job would be near UC Irvine. I know the area is pretty spread out.
There aren't too many walkable downtowns where Irvine is. Tustin has this thing called "The District" that's okay. Anaheim has a couple spots like Garden Walk and Downtown Disney. But Laguna Beach, SJC, and Dana Point have those traditional walkable downtown areas that you're looking for. PCH in Newport has a few spots too, and can't forget Balboa Island which is very nice to walk around. You'll definitely have your fair share and each offerings something different. More variety than the Peninsula in my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Yeah, I see quite a few Lambos. Teslas, Audis, Range Rovers, Mercedes etc seem more common than Toyotas where I live.
You might live near me lol. A lot of Cayennes too. I think the only cars in the area that aren't luxury models or high-priced models of "normal" cars are those for UCI students. Pull up at almost any shopping center in South OC and the majority of cars are luxury models.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2021, 08:31 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,191,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
I suppose that is true if you think the only route from Irvine to "LA" (in this case DTLA) is the 5 Freeway. I get from my home in Corona del Mar to my office in DTLA in less than an hour most days. I won't give up my secret route, but in the days of Waze, it isn't hard to duplicate. It also helps to have a working knowledge of all the freeways that are possible (5, 605, 710, 91, 105, 110, 60) and an Express Pass.
So maybe you can do the drive in under an hour, but you’re proving my point that SoCal traffic is a way of life unless you know the “secret” routes. There’s just no way around it, you will end up scheduling your life around traffic if you live in OC.

Old 07-10-2021, 07:55 AM

12,829 posts, read 9,547,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
There aren't too many walkable downtowns where Irvine is. Tustin has this thing called "The District" that's okay. Anaheim has a couple spots like Garden Walk and Downtown Disney. But Laguna Beach, SJC, and Dana Point have those traditional walkable downtown areas that you're looking for. PCH in Newport has a few spots too, and can't forget Balboa Island which is very nice to walk around. You'll definitely have your fair share and each offerings something different. More variety than the Peninsula in my opinion.

You might live near me lol. A lot of Cayennes too. I think the only cars in the area that aren't luxury models or high-priced models of "normal" cars are those for UCI students. Pull up at almost any shopping center in South OC and the majority of cars are luxury models.
Eh. District is a huge shopping center to me. Nice shops or whatever. But pass. Yea the cars in Irvine are just insane

Old 07-10-2021, 10:04 PM

276 posts, read 747,419 times
funny that you are looking to escape to Irvine. We are looking to escape to Texas based on insane cost of living down here in OC. We are not outdoorsy people, so didn't benefit from living here. Irvine is well placed as its about 10 degrees hotter mid-day than by the beach to our west and about 10 degrees cooler than the mountains to the east. So its ideally placed.

My kid has ASD as well and northwood high school had been a disaster to the point where they now fully fund her tuition at a special school. the schools here are brutal, the atmosphere is competitive.

Once we list the house for sale, we are OUTTA HERE

Old 07-11-2021, 11:14 PM

4,477 posts, read 3,299,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
So maybe you can do the drive in under an hour, but you’re proving my point that SoCal traffic is a way of life unless you know the “secret” routes. There’s just no way around it, you will end up scheduling your life around traffic if you live in OC.
When you live in an area of 20 million people, there is going to be traffic, but it isn't paralyzing. OC to DTLA traffic isn't even as bad as it was 30 years ago because there are so many other business centers. I see as much traffic heading into Irvine and I do leaving it on the freeway.

Quote:
There aren't too many walkable downtowns where Irvine is. Tustin has this thing called "The District" that's okay.
Tustin has this thing called "Old Tustin" that IS its downtown.

Quote:
Anaheim has a couple spots like Garden Walk and Downtown Disney.
Anaheim too has a real downtown that is very nice, but I'd never send my kids to school in Anaheim.

Quote:
But Laguna Beach, SJC, and Dana Point have those traditional walkable downtown areas that you're looking for.
Almost all the older cities of North OC have downtowns; Fullerton (very nice one), Brea, Orange, Garden Grove and even Seal Beach, but the OP asked about schools too and that makes things more complicated.

Old 07-13-2021, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Anaheim too has a real downtown that is very nice, but I'd never send my kids to school in Anaheim.

Almost all the older cities of North OC have downtowns; Fullerton (very nice one), Brea, Orange, Garden Grove and even Seal Beach, but the OP asked about schools too and that makes things more complicated.
No one is going to any of these as a destination besides Fullerton and Orange, and for DT Anaheim all anyone goes to there is the Packing District. Those three are a nice trek from South OC where all the great schools are. The rest of the ones you named are not anything to write home about, especially Tustin and Garden Grove. DT Santa Ana is better than all of them except Fullerton although it looks like Brea has been building up. Being in South OC and going between Corona del Mar, San Clemente, Laguna B, and Dana Point is going to be more of an entertaining "old downtown" walking experience than the one block downtown that Tustin has for example.

Old 07-13-2021, 04:09 PM

Quote:
No one is going to any of these as a destination besides Fullerton and Orange, and for DT Anaheim all anyone goes to there is the Packing District.
If you think DT Anaheim is just the Packing House you have obviously not spent much time there. The Rinks and Center Street Promenade are hugely popular as is the Muzeo Museum.

Quote:
Those three are a nice trek from South OC where all the great schools are.
The two highest ranked high schools in OC are in Fullerton and Orange. Valencia in Placentia is #10.

Quote:
The rest of the ones you named are not anything to write home about, especially Tustin and Garden Grove.
Tustin has a great downtown with many great restaurants, including Chaak Kitchen, Christakis, Barolo, Kitajima and many others.

Quote:
DT Santa Ana is better than all of them except Fullerton
DT Santa Ana certainly has made a comeback, but the threat of gang violence still looms large.

Quote:
although it looks like Brea has been building up.
The only thing wrong with DT Brea is that Brea Blvd is a 6 lane street, not the quaint 2 lane streets of several other.

Quote:
Being in South OC and going between Corona del Mar, San Clemente, Laguna B, and Dana Point is going to be more of an entertaining "old downtown" walking experience than the one block downtown that Tustin has for example.
There is no downtown in Corona del Mar. There is a mile and a half strip of Coast Highway from Gallo'sDeli to Rothschild's.

Old 07-13-2021, 06:32 PM

426 posts, read 353,074 times
Quote:
Those three are a nice trek from South OC where all the great schools are.
? What? Fullerton, Yorba Linda, Orange (OCHSA), Tustin (Beckman/Foothill), and Irvine all have schools that are just as "great" if not "greater" than South OC schools.

You couldn't pay me to live in the new developments of South OC (AV, MV, Lake Forest, Ladera Range, RSM, etc). SJC, DP, and SC are great but they're really secluded and a pain to get to any stuff in North OC or LA.

Old 07-14-2021, 01:27 AM

Quote:
If you think DT Anaheim is just the Packing House you have obviously not spent much time there. The Rinks and Center Street Promenade are hugely popular as is the Muzeo Museum.

The two highest ranked high schools in OC are in Fullerton and Orange. Valencia in Placentia is #10.

Tustin has a great downtown with many great restaurants, including Chaak Kitchen, Christakis, Barolo, Kitajima and many others.

DT Santa Ana certainly has made a comeback, but the threat of gang violence still looms large.

The only thing wrong with DT Brea is that Brea Blvd is a 6 lane street, not the quaint 2 lane streets of several other.

There is no downtown in Corona del Mar. There is a mile and a half strip of Coast Highway from Gallo'sDeli to Rothschild's.
Isnt the OP looking for homes in South OC thouvh? Why recommend Fullerton?

Agree to disagree on Tustin's downtown hecause you are just talking about two blocks essentially.. To me it is not much at all and you dont get that walkable downtown experidnce. Also never said there was a downtown in CDM but like you said you still get a lengthy old walkable downtown vibe experience (which you will not get in Tustin). Definitely not saying dont go to Tustin though and it might even be a good spot for OC. And also Tustins downtown is way better than Irvine's nonexistent one.

I last went out in DT Santa Ana back in Fall 2019 and even then would not recommend for a newcomer. Still has some work to do in Santa Ana.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amokk View Post
? What? Fullerton, Yorba Linda, Orange (OCHSA), Tustin (Beckman/Foothill), and Irvine all have schools that are just as "great" if not "greater" than South OC schools.

You couldn't pay me to live in the new developments of South OC (AV, MV, Lake Forest, Ladera Range, RSM, etc). SJC, DP, and SC are great but they're really secluded and a pain to get to any stuff in North OC or LA.
I hear you but collectively South OC has better schools across the board. I also consider Irvine as South OC (the start of it). With the OP saying the job is in Irvine why recommend Fullerton or Yorba Linda which would be an annoying commutes. If money isnt an issue and the job is in Irvine I'd just stick with South OC where you dont have to check school boundaries.

Old 07-14-2021, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Isnt the OP looking for homes in South OC thouvh? Why recommend Fullerton?
I didn'trecommend Fullerton or any North/Central OC city. I am just correcting bad information that those places don't have downtowns that people visit.

Quote:
Agree to disagree on Tustin's downtown hecause you are just talking about two blocks essentially.. To me it is not much at all and you dont get that walkable downtown experidnce. Also never said there was a downtown in CDM but like you said you still get a lengthy old walkable downtown vibe experience (which you will not get in Tustin). Definitely not saying dont go to Tustin though and it might even be a good spot for OC. And also Tustins downtown is way better than Irvine's nonexistent one.
Old Town Tustin stretches from 1st Street to Sixth Street, C Street to Prospect Ave. It has buildings dating to the 1880s, it is how downtowns are supposed to feel in my mind.

My family has been in CdM since the 1920s. I can guarantee you there is zero feel of a downtown or a downtown experience. There is only busy, crowded Coast Highway.

Quote:
I hear you but collectively South OC has better schools across the board. I also consider Irvine as South OC (the start of it). With the OP saying the job is in Irvine why recommend Fullerton or Yorba Linda which would be an annoying commutes. If money isnt an issue and the job is in Irvine I'd just stick with South OC where you dont have to check school boundaries.
Irvine is not South OC despite what you might consider it, it is Central OC. The link below opens a PDF.

https://tinyurl.com/jy79rrfn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County