Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2021, 12:31 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,974,368 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Right, but OC is not oriented on a north-south axis that way. If you are pedantic about geography and cardinal directions, you end up with a map like this one. (Rancho Santa Margarita is unquestionably in south OC, but if you draw a line which divides the county into north and south at its northern border, you end up including part of Huntington Beach in the south, and part of Lake Forest in the north, and that's ridiculous.)
Exactly which is why I think it's just semantics when talking about the geographic location of NB compared to Irvine because it doesn't matter how the county is oriented. Pretend there are no county borders. If you look at the city limit maps of both cities, NB is underneath Irvine in a south/sw direction, while Costa Mesa is more west, Santa Ana more W/NW from Irvine, etc.

If you go back to my earlier posts, I considered Irvine the transition zone into South OC with more in common with those cities versus others north of it like Santa Ana. And as you go east/south through the city, and especially once you get near UCI, the vibe feels more South OC but you're still in Irvine. The business parks on that side definitely have this feel as you transition from Irvine to the other South OC cities... you hardly notice you've gone into another city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2021, 05:55 PM

4,477 posts, read 3,299,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
Since your family was there since the 1920s, you'd know that Corona del Mar was its own city with its own post office, so the old PCH became it's "downtown main strip" until it was eventually annexed into Newport Beach.
Do you just make up everything? Corona del Mar was never a city, it was unincorporated OC. Newport Beach annexed the unincorporated area in 1924 and the U.S. post office went in in 1926.

Quote:
You can definitely consider Irvine as the start of South OC.
NO, you CAN'T. That is more make believe stuff. The regions of OC are long standing and well established DESPITE you wanting to make stuff up.

Quote:
See I'd move that line up to Jamboree or maybe Culver. The only reason why more of the further reaches of South OC doesn't look like Irvine there is because Irvine is mostly flat so packing in development was easier while those other areas of South OC have more hills/mountainous terrain.
Irvine has plenty of hills, Shady Canyon, Turtle Rock, Orchard Hills, etc. and you can't just change the boundaries to what you think they should be, they are what they are.

Quote:
If you go back to my earlier posts, I considered Irvine the transition zone into South OC with more in common with those cities versus others north of it like Santa Ana.
The definition of the regions of OC were established long before there were any cities in them.

Old 07-16-2021, 07:52 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,974,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
Do you just make up everything? Corona del Mar was never a city, it was unincorporated OC. Newport Beach annexed the unincorporated area in 1924 and the U.S. post office went in in 1926.
I was wrong about the years but still doesnt take away from what PCH was for the community, and that it's also a decently sized walkable area. It might get busy at times but plenty of streets do that have a ton of pedestrians.

Quote:
Irvine has plenty of hills, Shady Canyon, Turtle Rock, Orchard Hills, etc. and you can't just change the boundaries to what you think they should be, they are what they are.
Yes and these are the areas of Irvine I said have more of the South OC vibe because of it and why Irvine feels like the transition zone.

Quote:
The definition of the regions of OC were established long before there were any cities in them.
Someone just posted an LA Times article from the 80s about it so its not like it was well established at all. Here it is again: https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-...004-story.html

I'm done but I still will think of Irvine as a transition zone into south oc, and yes PCH in CDM can be a nice walkable experience (at least pre pandemic).

Old 07-17-2021, 04:26 PM

2,209 posts, read 1,781,929 times
Quote:
I was wrong about the years but still doesnt take away from what PCH was for the community, and that it's also a decently sized walkable area. It might get busy at times but plenty of streets do that have a ton of pedestrians.

Yes and these are the areas of Irvine I said have more of the South OC vibe because of it and why Irvine feels like the transition zone.

Someone just posted an LA Times article from the 80s about it so its not like it was well established at all. Here it is again: https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-...004-story.html

I'm done but I still will think of Irvine as a transition zone into south oc, and yes PCH in CDM can be a nice walkable experience (at least pre pandemic).
Basically it was. North OC was North of it and "Irvine" was empty and was for decades, even having a Lion park there. You found South OC beyond it.

Old 07-17-2021, 05:00 PM

14,302 posts, read 11,688,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer46 View Post
Basically it was. North OC was North of it and "Irvine" was empty and was for decades, even having a Lion park there. You found South OC beyond it.
Lion Country Safari opened in 1970, and the City of Irvine was incorporated in 1971 after being under development for a decade. Of course Irvine was by no means full of people at that point, but it's incorrect to say the area that is now Irvine was "empty for decades" except for the lion park.

Old 07-17-2021, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Lion Country Safari opened in 1970, and the City of Irvine was incorporated in 1971 after being under development for a decade. Of course Irvine was by no means full of people at that point, but it's incorrect to say the area that is now Irvine was "empty for decades" except for the lion park.
Prior to 1970 and Lion Country Safari, it was just the Irvine RANCH and had been for decades going back before Statehood. I grew up in OC on the 1950's and 60's and it was a ranch. Quite big, but a ranch with no development. Drove by it many times.

Old 07-17-2021, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Prior to 1970 and Lion Country Safari, it was just the Irvine RANCH and had been for decades going back before Statehood. I grew up in OC on the 1950's and 60's and it was a ranch. Quite big, but a ranch with no development. Drove by it many times.
Sure, but it wasn't "empty for decades except for the lion park." It was empty for decades, then it wasn't empty and there was also a lion park.

Old 07-18-2021, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Sure, but it wasn't "empty for decades except for the lion park." It was empty for decades, then it wasn't empty and there was also a lion park.
That is the point. It was always after the county was formed, a divide between north and south. Yes full of homes, etc, now, but still kinda viewed as the dividing line. Now I always looked at Newport and Corona Del Mar as "south", but most of the people then and now, looked at Laguna Beach as the divide point on the coast. Irvine was the inland divide.

Old 07-18-2021, 09:53 AM

Quote:
That is the point. It was always after the county was formed, a divide between north and south. Yes full of homes, etc, now, but still kinda viewed as the dividing line. Now I always looked at Newport and Corona Del Mar as "south", but most of the people then and now, looked at Laguna Beach as the divide point on the coast. Irvine was the inland divide.
I grew up in the 1970s as far north and west as you can get in OC...the top left corner of La Habra, up against the Whitter /LA County border. My grandmother lived in Laguna Beach and I well remember driving down the 5 to Laguna Canyon Road through mostly-empty fields lined with eucalyptus windbreaks. Laguna Beach was South County. San Juan Capistrano, where all the school kids took field trips to the mission, was South County. Mission Viejo existed; my husband grew up there. But the Irvine area was just what you had to drive through to get from North to South County and vice versa. So really it was kind of a no man's land and it's no wonder there is some dispute about where it belongs now.

Old 07-18-2021, 05:00 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,448,391 times
Quote:
Newport Beach is NOT considered south of Irvine, and neither city is considered south OC. At least not by most people; I suppose there could be a little wiggle room for opinion, but if we are going to draw the line between cities and not in the middle of cities, this map shows where it would be (in my opinion as a 50+ year OC resident). It should follow the city boundaries but I am not that skilled.
Most people agree that The 55 divides the O.C. It's the only freeway that completely crosses the county on that axis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County