Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 11:33 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,444,507 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtran103 View Post
Colorado? Please. It's like living in Canada. Always freezing cold most of the year.
You sure about that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2007, 12:31 AM

111 posts, read 447,505 times
Why is California weather boring? I got everthing right here in california?

Old 05-23-2007, 07:59 PM

1,658 posts, read 7,574,341 times
Smile Good question

[quote=
What does OC have that San Diego doesn't?[/QUOTE]
OC has knottsberry farm disneyland,nice beaches,people going about there lives 24/7.Also most places are open longer and the cities are bigger. I live in the largest city(outside of sd) which only has 210,000 people.Another thing,right next to LA(that has its good and bads)
But SD has poor public transport,tourist like crazy,gangs like crazy,and auto theft/break ins for everyone who lives here.Plus it has a small town fell because people don't really go out past 830 or 9 at night.
Me as a whole SD IS THE MOST OVERRATED PLACE I KNOW OF!!!
LIKE ANY OTHER CITY I'VE BEEN TOO!!!

Old 05-23-2007, 10:01 PM

59 posts, read 428,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jksouthbay88 View Post
OC has knottsberry farm disneyland,nice beaches,people going about there lives 24/7.Also most places are open longer and the cities are bigger. I live in the largest city(outside of sd) which only has 210,000 people.Another thing,right next to LA(that has its good and bads)
But SD has poor public transport,tourist like crazy,gangs like crazy,and auto theft/break ins for everyone who lives here.Plus it has a small town fell because people don't really go out past 830 or 9 at night.
Me as a whole SD IS THE MOST OVERRATED PLACE I KNOW OF!!!

Hey, be excited about whatever you want to be excited about. When you get the chance to live someplace else, take it.

You mention San Diego being too touristy but it's funny because you kinda sound like an OC tourist, hitting Huntington, Balboa or Downtown Disney on weekends but not someone who spends day in, day out in a place, making a living, maybe raising a family.

Much of OC - like SD - is bedroom community/suburban family vibe, not 24/7 trip the light fantastic, sorry to break it to you. My guess is, most people spend most evenings at home, watching TV or shooting hoops in the driveway, or at their kids' sporting events. Maybe they hit Chili's or a local spot for dinner but then it's home to watch "Grey's Anatomy" or the latest DVD. Have you been to Yorba Linda at night? It doesn't get much deader after 8:30-9 p.m. than Dana Point and San Juan Capistrano. Can't imagine it's going off in Mission Viejo. What compares in scope to downtown San Diego? Do you even venture uptown?

Tourist crazy? Do you know how many people visit Disneyland a year? Laguna and Newport and Huntington and Knott's Berry Farm? Do you think all of those people eating at the Rainforest Cafe and ESPN Zone live in the 714 and 949? My guess is that if you lived in, say, Irvine, you'd tire of the Spectrum like you've apparently tired of - I dunno - Hazard Center.

Gang crazy. Go really visit places such as Anaheim, Santa Ana, Garden Grove, Stanton, Westminster, Fullerton. Heck, even Costa Mesa has its sections and report back to us.

Poor public transport? Let me know what you find in OC. This is GOP-reppin', auto-loving country.

Auto thefts comment doesn't even deserve a response. (My car was broken into in Fullerton, BTW.)

Fun, interesting people, esp those with $ or no kids, can carve out fun, interesting, nightlife-friendly lives in either county.

Old 05-24-2007, 01:35 AM

1,156 posts, read 3,781,350 times
It depends on what suits your personality. Up here in Washington state, it has been raining pretty much every day since last September. There are four seasons here in the south Puget Sound and it snows very briefly and just barely enough to cover the ground for a day or two, but the seasons are always shadowed by a seemingly perpetual overcast condition. The summers are very temperate, though. Again, it is all down to how much rain you like (and how much of the suprisingly high crime you can take here).

The advantage of living in California is being able to go to a ballgame and not needing a dome on the stadium or worrying about weather canceling it, the roads are rarely affected by adverse weather conditions (except for those driving high profile vehicles such as trucks during Santa Ana wind conditions) and you can walk around in bare feet as much as you likeand eat at outdoor restaurants. Yeah, you have to run your air conditioning for three months at a jot, but the convenience that the SoCal lifestyle affords makes the electric bills worth it. There are also fewer power failures than where I live.

So it depends on what you are willing to trade off. I'll take the "boring" California weather.

Old 05-24-2007, 02:53 AM

253 posts, read 376,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jksouthbay88 View Post
SD IS THE MOST OVERRATED PLACE I KNOW OF!!!
I'd have to agree on that one, I moved to OC from the Phoenix area where everyone goes to SD in the summer and raves about it, but from the times I've been down there I came away with the impression that it's like a Phoenix suburb with a beach. I also didn't find it to be very friendly. It seems to be a lot like Scottsdale, Arizona - a lot of phony people who want to pretend to be living in LA or Newport and have a chip on their shoulder about it.

That's just my experience, I'm sure there are plenty of good people there like everywhere else, but I just wasn't impressed. Especially after going to La Jolla ... I was told it's the "Newport of SD" but it struck me as very old and average ... again, totally overrated.

Old 05-24-2007, 09:25 AM

4,610 posts, read 11,100,293 times
fpbear,

I'll trade ya!!! I'm in yucky, I mean, beautiful Texas!! Right now, it is humid (which is always lovely), cloudy and going to rain all week. Oh, and all the cute little bitting bugs are out (fun, got to love that).

HELP!!!! GET ME OUT OF HERE!!!!!!!

Last edited by Roma; 05-24-2007 at 09:44 AM.. Reason: I couldn't forget about the cute bugs, could I???

Old 05-24-2007, 09:43 AM

177 posts, read 815,057 times
Roma,

I sympathize!! My husband's job almost took us to Texas and I said 'no way' because I had heard that the bugs are the size of house cats there!!! Yikes!!! Someone told me once that Austin was nice however!!

Old 05-24-2007, 11:55 AM

59 posts, read 428,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevercoldcall View Post
I'd have to agree on that one, I moved to OC from the Phoenix area where everyone goes to SD in the summer and raves about it, but from the times I've been down there I came away with the impression that it's like a Phoenix suburb with a beach. I also didn't find it to be very friendly. It seems to be a lot like Scottsdale, Arizona - a lot of phony people who want to pretend to be living in LA or Newport and have a chip on their shoulder about it.

That's just my experience, I'm sure there are plenty of good people there like everywhere else, but I just wasn't impressed. Especially after going to La Jolla ... I was told it's the "Newport of SD" but it struck me as very old and average ... again, totally overrated.
Coldcall, you're clueless, but there is still hope for a myopic recovering Zonie/Newport Coast newbie. Heck, we SD County folk call Newport the La Jolla of OC (OK, not really, no need.)

A Phoenix suburb? Dem's fighting words. San Diego, for all its faults, is a city. One with a walkable downtown (good chunk of it, at least) and uptown, with urban neighborhoods where lots of people live and play and work (Give me a job, SD Chamber!) Damn yuppie gentrification.

Downtown Phoenix? My wife and I stayed two nights at Hotel San Carlos probably seven years ago - so maybe it's changed, but it was as dead as can be. Even after the hockey game, everyone seemed to file into their cars and go home. I asked the doorman about it and he said it was mostly a business-oriented downtown despite the sporting venues. The brewpub next to Bank One was closed. So much for a downtown ballpark's year-round influence, eh?

"Very old and average"?

Um, don't you know that you're supposed to replace "old" with "historic"? In San Diego, we have architecture that goes back farther than 20 years. I guess I wouldn't recommend walking or driving around Kensington. Some of the houses there are more than 70 years old. Ick.

It's certainly your right not to like La Jolla; There's too many people on Prospect as it is.

"It seems to be a lot like Scottsdale, Arizona - a lot of phony people who want to pretend to be living in LA or Newport and have a chip on their shoulder about it."

Yowzer. All that time talking to and studying residents and visitors to really get a feel for the area. Did you even have time to meander above the cove or check out the caves? Share a quiet moment with your SO? No wait, you simply milled about Girard absorbing the area's pretentions, sorta like osmosis. I guess I should behave more like a sociologist when I visit places.

Why would people who can own in La Jolla even think about pretending to live in Newport and vice versa? They're both famous coastal cities for people like me to visit and rich people like you to call home.

Last edited by northcountystooge; 05-24-2007 at 12:38 PM..

Old 05-24-2007, 12:10 PM

68 posts, read 192,000 times
I think I will take boring over the lovely weather we are having in Calgary today. It is May 24th and we are still dealing with snow storms!! I can't wait until we move to California next year. The following is from the news reports this morning.

"Heavy snow has downed trees and power lines across the city.

In all quadrants of Calgary, residents woke up Thursday morning to fallen branches on streets and power lines.

Enmax crews expect to be busy all day cleaning up, repairing lines, and restoring power.

The good news is that Environment Canada is not forecasting any more snow for the Calgary area.

The snow is also causing problems outside of Calgary.

The sidewalks and streets in Strathmore are also covered with branches and downed trees.

In Red Deer many traffic lights are out, and homes have been left without power.

Crews are working to get the power back on, but the snow is still falling in that city making it difficult for crews to keep up with the outages. "
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County