Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 09:40 AM

253 posts, read 376,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpbear View Post
So here is the pattern I noticed. People start out in NYC, Arizona, Alabama, North Dakota, etc. Hot, or humid, or feezing but just happened to grow up in the area. Then decide to move to CA because of what they see on TV.

Then after a few years they get tired of CA and moved to one of the above-mentioned nice states.
Those are typical "the grass is always greener" people who are never going to be happy no matter where they go. You certainly can't blame CA for their lack of self-fulfillment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2007, 10:23 PM

56 posts, read 206,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevercoldcall View Post
There's a good reason they don't move to CA - it's called cost of living. Geez, good weather in Oregon? Are you smoking crack??
I don't think that it's nice you saying that someone is "on crack", there's lots of reasons why people don't like california, including rude people like yourself. I would take oregon weather any day of the week over south california.

Old 06-03-2007, 12:04 AM

395 posts, read 1,716,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fpbear View Post
Ramfeb31: have you been to Alaska? It is beautiful but keep in mind there are lots of mosquitos. In the winter there are days when the sun does not rise because of the northern latitude. Although it is wonderful to visit in the summer. It is a little extreme to compare this to Southern CA or any other place. Mentioning Alaska kind of misses the point.
Hi FP', yes, I've been a "regular' since 97'. This will be my 6th trip up there. Actually, I was pulling one of the critics leg though there were some truth. My other significant one would not go w/me mainly because of the the weather and because of the local family tie. Deets really keeps the mosqites at bay. But the fishing is great there.

Old 06-03-2007, 04:20 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,743,760 times
Yes, California weather is boring and it is the best too. But how important is it? How much are you willing to pay to enjoy it? How much do you enjoy it? How many minutes were you outside in the past week? That is, when you weren't working (presumably) inside, driving, shopping, watching movies or TV, going online, waiting in line somewhere like a bank, doctor's office, post office, or DMV. So, we're talking about ten or fifteen minutes per day during the week and maybe an hour a day on the weekends, right? (I lived in the San Fernando Valley and Ventura County for 45 years. I'll admit, my wife complains a bit in the winter on those 15 or 20 days when it is too cold to take our kids to the park. Here in Colorado we can't swim outdoors all year round. But we can go cycling, golfing, and jogging probably 47/52 weeks per year. This year was an exception - it was pretty bad.)

Think about it. A+ weather costs about three times more than B+ weather. It's that last ten percent that kills you. The weather isn't overrated; It's underutilized. Kind of like buying a Maserati and only driving it to the store to buy eggs once a week.

For 95% of people, perfect weather really isn't in the top five attributes of a location. Most of them just don't care (they may say they do and brag about it though). "Oh, look how nice it is outside today; hand me the remote please."

If someone gave you $300,000 cash to move to Colorado or Texas or Washington State or Florida and you had the same job there, would you do it?

Old 06-03-2007, 04:25 PM

4,610 posts, read 11,100,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
If someone gave you $300,000 cash to move to Colorado or Texas or Washington State or Florida and you had the same job there, would you do it?
NO!!!! I'm in Texas now and I know what 300K will get you and it isn't the type of home I would want.
So the answer is, no.

Old 06-03-2007, 06:49 PM

51 posts, read 523,589 times
if you love the so cal weather, it's worth the extra money. if you don't then it's not. it's really that simple. but i disagree that it's only important if you 'utilize' it. fact is, for many people (myself included) the weather can impact how you feel even if you're only experiencing it walking to the car or catching a sunset from your office building. you don't have to spend a lot of time outdoors each day to appreciate it.

Old 06-03-2007, 07:16 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,031,245 times
Actually, we DO utilize our California weather. We are not TV-aholics so we are not cooped up inside of our house at night. We go out and do things - even if we are just outside on the patio by the pool having dinner or drinks. We also go outside during the day (except for the times I'm in here on these forums! LOL) - even in 100+ degree weather. In fact we just got back from looking at houses (Griffin Ranch in La Quinta) and were outside quite a bit. Hubby'staking a nap now but when he gets his old ass up we are going out to dinner. I guess what I'm saying is that to us the weather is definitely worth paying a premium price.

Old 06-05-2007, 10:28 PM

27 posts, read 88,294 times
Funny, but when I lived in St. Louis, MO, I watched the weather channel daily. I moved out here to So. Cal. 14 years ago and found the weather channel very dull to watch....lol. Nothing happens weather-wise to speak about.

And, after living by the beach for 14 years, I've had all the cool weather and "marine layer" I can stand. We are looking at 2 places to move to, one being next to Death Valley! I'm actually looking forward to it...lol. Pam

Old 06-05-2007, 10:49 PM

3,814 posts, read 6,784,192 times
Well if I had to complain about southern california's weather it would be the june gloom you get on the coast. But really, there's not much to complain about.

Old 06-05-2007, 10:57 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,444,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonsavvy View Post
Well if I had to complain about southern california's weather it would be the june gloom you get on the coast. But really, there's not much to complain about.
I'll take the June gloom over an extra month of 90+ weather any time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County