Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 11:23 PM

73 posts, read 448,927 times

Advertisements

From what I've been reading so far it sounds like people living in terrible climate zones (hot desert, humid south, extreme cold) are mostly the ones who think of CA weather as being paradise.

I don't hear a whole lot of people who want to move to CA from places like Idaho, Colorado, Wyoming, New Mexico, Oregon, etc. They know better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2007, 12:52 AM

253 posts, read 376,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fpbear View Post
I don't hear a whole lot of people who want to move to CA from places like Idaho, Colorado, Wyoming, New Mexico, Oregon, etc. They know better.
There's a good reason they don't move to CA - it's called cost of living. Geez, good weather in Oregon? Are you smoking crack??

Old 05-25-2007, 01:46 AM

Mentioned Oregon by accident; instead consider Idaho, Colorado, Wyoming, New Mexico... native Californians have been out-migrating to these states.

So here is the pattern I noticed. People start out in NYC, Arizona, Alabama, North Dakota, etc. Hot, or humid, or feezing but just happened to grow up in the area. Then decide to move to CA because of what they see on TV.

Then after a few years they get tired of CA and moved to one of the above-mentioned nice states.

Old 05-25-2007, 05:12 AM

323 posts, read 1,390,676 times
I live in Quebec, Canada where the weather changes day by day. I grew up in Los Angeles. I was in Hemet last year for four months and the sameness of the weather was horrible! It never rained and everything on the side of the road that doesn't get water curls up and dies. Plus the instense heat of the Inland Empire is just too much. When I came back to Canada I noticed just how green everything was. Unfortunately it is also very humid.

I notice that Hemet can get humid too. I grew up in ideal weather in L.A. but the crowds, high rent, high crime is daunting. You can get use to extreme winter though. It takes getting used to of course. Down coat helps and easy slip on boots. Plus a vacation down south would help too when the winter gets to be too much.

Old 05-25-2007, 06:44 PM

395 posts, read 1,716,725 times
After living in S.Ca more than 50 years and mostly in O.C.,I am going to escape this 'boring' weather and go up to Alaska where I can freeze my butt off, and if I should get sick, die w/o good medical attention. Then, I will spend all my days and nites reading comic books because where I am going the closest music center and opera house is over 200 miles away. Yes, there is even a library and they even have books which will load into a good size PU truck if they have to move. My newspaper would be weekly. When the central satellite dish is working I can even get a few channels. Of course, if snow is tireing, I can have rain which seem to be at least 3 times a week all year around. But fishing is really great as well of the lack of traffic. In winter, I plan to be like a bear and hibernate since the days are so short. But I won't be bored with the weather.

Old 05-26-2007, 04:29 PM

Ramfeb31: have you been to Alaska? It is beautiful but keep in mind there are lots of mosquitos. In the winter there are days when the sun does not rise because of the northern latitude. Although it is wonderful to visit in the summer. It is a little extreme to compare this to Southern CA or any other place. Mentioning Alaska kind of misses the point.

Old 05-29-2007, 10:11 AM

177 posts, read 815,057 times
Bank Holiday Britain Colder Than Lapland - Yahoo! News UK (broken link)

fpbear, maybe this climate would suit you better? - LOL))) - and the irony of this news article is that you can't really go ANYWHERE on a bank holiday (in England) anyway because the roads are so snarled up and congested!!! Better to stay and home and forget having a life.

Old 05-29-2007, 11:42 PM

Of course if you pick a dreary cloudy place like Britain, our smoggy and bone dry Southern CA desert will look good in comparison.

Old 05-30-2007, 07:43 AM

1,341 posts, read 4,906,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeenAroundTheBlock View Post
All ya gotta do is take a few weeks vacation! Visit a new place, experience another climate. I miss S. Ca living and especially the climate. You can always plan a nice outdoor event and not worry about being rained on. Come to FL where it rains every day all summer long with crazy thunderstorms and hurricane threats.
Ditto moved (had to, got married and dh's job was in NY) 10 years ago and I have to say the sticky NY weather...and the "snow topped" post cards..yeah its been real alright...Try having snowstorms in march/april...and the humidity...dont even get me started on it..I live for days that are over 75 degrees and this week its in the upper 80's..I'll take it, humidity and all. No choice...being sticky over being cold..that is the choice.

It really just boils down to climate..do you like a change of seasons or not. That being said, yes there is NO place like walking and seeing the christmas tree in december..and grabbing some hot cocoa versus shopping at newport fashion island is shorts and a sweatshirt. BUT again, talk to MOST people after christmas and the new years and they have had a enough of the gloom..you seriousely can get depressed.

I think that sunshine really is good for the soul, good for children...even if you dont go outside because of the heat..at least the windows and blinds are open, and you sunshine.

Nah, give me desert and the OC sun anyday...we just dont have family left over there anymore....so If we relocate somewhere it will have to be a warmer climate on the east coast. But Hey, again, I'll take it...I can stand the snow and bundling up..give me shorts and tank top anyday.

Old 05-31-2007, 11:15 PM

662 posts, read 1,281,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fpbear View Post
Mentioned Oregon by accident; instead consider Idaho, Colorado, Wyoming, New Mexico... native Californians have been out-migrating to these states.

So here is the pattern I noticed. People start out in NYC, Arizona, Alabama, North Dakota, etc. Hot, or humid, or feezing but just happened to grow up in the area. Then decide to move to CA because of what they see on TV.

Then after a few years they get tired of CA and moved to one of the above-mentioned nice states.
Dry is good. No one has ever said "I'd like a little humidity".

They move to those areas, not because of the weather, but because those states are impossibly cheaper than CA. People are also moving to Arizona/Nevada/Texas, horrendously awful weather. The weather in any of those states really suck but housing is massively cheaper and they are being priced out of California.

To debate California weather versus any other state is pointless. Those other states can't compete. Colorado, Wyoming, New Mexico? Please. Good weather is not synonymous with any of those states. People move to those states for reasons other than weather such as good traffic/job housing market. It's cheap because so few people live in those states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County