Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2018, 11:49 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,852,123 times

Advertisements

In one of the fairly recent threads on coastal areas (I think they were discussing the Florence area), a poster was saying that a realtor told him that you could hear the noise from the local gun club near the property "all over town." Other posters chimed in to say the statement wasn't true.

Having to listen to the activity at a gun club from my back yard wouldn't be high on my list, either.
City-Data Terms of Service: https://www.city-data.com/terms.html
City-Data FAQ: https://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2018, 11:55 AM

423 posts, read 289,912 times
Yes there can be the sound of gun shots anywhere. Once in rural Texas the guy across the road decided to open a gun repair store in town. He 'tested' guns at all hours. So I decided to increase my rooster population to 50+
But one thing about it- no one tried to burglarize my house in the over 20 years I lived there.

Old 04-04-2018, 12:50 PM

47 posts, read 53,046 times
Yep, that's what I thought too-- but read some comments about "oh I don't want to live there coz there's a gun club next door". I probably should look into acquiring a shotgun and go "join the club" myself I box for fitness, but that ain't gonna do me much good if an intruder decides to pull a weapon on me.
In your opinion, what is the best coastal town for a single 40 yr Female looking for a calm lifestyle? Not into partying or excessive socializing, kinda enjoy my solitude. Do need the essentials of a good vet, emergency medical, reliable internet for work. Maybe make a few friends: Live and Let Live approach towards Life in general.

--------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackberryMerlot View Post
Gun clubs? Why should you be concerned? Lots of rural and small town people have guns for hunting and home defense. There are target practice ranges in the national forests. It can take a long time for the police to arrive out in the country. Heck, at my place I don't even have cell phone service or a land line. But I do have a shot gun and a big ole biting German Shepherd.

Old 04-04-2018, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Yes there can be the sound of gun shots anywhere.
Not from most in-city properties, where discharge of firearms is not permitted. Out in the country, sure.

Old 04-04-2018, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Yes there can be the sound of gun shots anywhere. Once in rural Texas the guy across the road decided to open a gun repair store in town. He 'tested' guns at all hours. So I decided to increase my rooster population to 50+
But one thing about it- no one tried to burglarize my house in the over 20 years I lived there.

Old 04-04-2018, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid26 View Post
In your opinion, what is the best coastal town for a single 40 yr Female looking for a calm lifestyle? Not into partying or excessive socializing, kinda enjoy my solitude. Do need the essentials of a good vet, emergency medical, reliable internet for work. Maybe make a few friends: Live and Let Live approach towards Life in general.
What kind of emergency medical? As has been mentioned in various coast threads, a lot of the small hospitals on the coast airlift out - some of the larger ones only airlift out for serious trauma, some of the smaller ones for all kinds of issues.

When you live outside the metro areas, it is good "insurance" to carry a membership to your participating air ambulance service (MercyFlights or the like).

I like Yachats, Florence, Bandon, Gold Beach, but then I am only a summer visitor.

Old 04-04-2018, 01:05 PM

Yep, I agree. I lived about 30 miles from Fort Hood a few years ago, and every time they tested their tanks, I could feel the booms in my floors and walls. It didn't bother me all that much coz it was a few days every few weeks/months, plus i was dating the army dude who was making all that racket over there at the time. LOL

---------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
In one of the fairly recent threads on coastal areas (I think they were discussing the Florence area), a poster was saying that a realtor told him that you could hear the noise from the local gun club near the property "all over town." Other posters chimed in to say the statement wasn't true.

Having to listen to the activity at a gun club from my back yard wouldn't be high on my list, either.

Old 04-04-2018, 01:14 PM

Just basic EMT services if I were to ever need it..good to be informed and prepared.

Do you have a summer home for your visits or do you rent/ air B&B or the likes when you stay there during those months? I may have to consider a part time arrangement of sorts until I can figure out where exactly I want to settle down (that idea just now occurred to me...hmmm). Any words of advice?
----------------------------------

Quote:
What kind of emergency medical? As has been mentioned in various coast threads, a lot of the small hospitals on the coast airlift out - some of the larger ones only airlift out for serious trauma, some of the smaller ones for all kinds of issues.

When you live outside the metro areas, it is good "insurance" to carry a membership to your participating air ambulance service (MercyFlights or the like).

I like Yachats, Florence, Bandon, Gold Beach, but then I am only a summer visitor.

Old 04-04-2018, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid26 View Post
Do you have a summer home for your visits or do you rent/ air B&B or the likes when you stay there during those months? I may have to consider a part time arrangement of sorts until I can figure out where exactly I want to settle down (that idea just now occurred to me...hmmm). Any words of advice?
Keep in mind that outside the city limits a lot of areas rely on volunteer firefighters and ambulance. Depending on staffing, response times can be pretty mixed.

At Bandon I camp (in my small trailer) at Bullard's Beach State Park. They have a 14 day max stay. I've also camped at Bastendorff Beach (county park), Humbug Mountain, Alfred Loeb (on the Chetco River at Brookings) and Harris Beach (also Brookings). The two big state parks (Bullard's Beach and Harris) are VERY popular in the summer and hard to get long reservations. They open reservations 9 months prior to your stay date and the weekends and prime spots fill up fast.

Otherwise I have gone with private rental (nothing I recommend, frankly) and VRBO.

ETA: also look at Coquille - a little inland, but a bit less foggy and warmer than the coast proper at Bandon or Coos Bay.

Old 04-04-2018, 01:32 PM

Default Thanks

What is your opinion of Coos Bay (full-time residence)?

----------------------------------

Quote:
Keep in mind that outside the city limits a lot of areas rely on volunteer firefighters and ambulance. Depending on staffing, response times can be pretty mixed.

At Bandon I camp (in my small trailer) at Bullard's Beach State Park. They have a 14 day max stay. I've also camped at Bastendorff Beach (county park), Humbug Mountain, Alfred Loeb (on the Chetco River at Brookings) and Harris Beach (also Brookings). The two big state parks (Bullard's Beach and Harris) are VERY popular in the summer and hard to get long reservations. They open reservations 9 months prior to your stay date and the weekends and prime spots fill up fast.

Otherwise I have gone with private rental (nothing I recommend, frankly) and VRBO.

ETA: also look at Coquille - a little inland, but a bit less foggy and warmer than the coast proper at Bandon or Coos Bay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon