Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2021, 01:57 PM

15,574 posts, read 40,417,480 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
There was an interesting discussion of homelessness on CBS Sunday Morning today. Some cities are having an impact with 'home first' programs. Self-contained basically studio apartments for which the occupant pays 1/3 third of their income. Data shows that those residents decrease their impact on other community services significantly, if that were factored in it is my opinion that those units cost the community nothing. It is worth a try.
The MWVAA (a non-profit) is now buying the Super 8 and using it for transitional housing for the chronic homeless and fire displaced homeless. That is 80 rooms so they can house about 160 people in there since I think they are all twin bed rooms in there. They are supposed to be up and running by the end of the summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2021, 04:12 AM

441 posts, read 439,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
The MWVAA (a non-profit) is now buying the Super 8 and using it for transitional housing for the chronic homeless and fire displaced homeless. That is 80 rooms so they can house about 160 people in there since I think they are all twin bed rooms in there. They are supposed to be up and running by the end of the summer.
It's a start. Maybe if this one is successful they can get more up and running.

We do need as others have said more services for drug and alcohol abuse as well as mental health help. How many people get degrees in this area? Maybe incentive's will help more to earn these degrees if there aren't enough. I don't know how many counselors there are in the state or how many we would need. Just a thought.

Old 05-28-2021, 10:23 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,103,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
The one in Salem? I actually stayed there once years ago, I'd be glad to see it serve a better purpose.

I would bet that like Seattle and other big cities, the homeless in tents along the streets are not locals that lost their jobs, but are people that came there because they heard about the mild climate, lack of police bothering them, and generous tourists for panhandling. Those that really want help getting back into housing are more likely to be in an organized homeless camp, such as Dignity Village on Sunderland, with some even working but not yet able to come up with first/last month rent.

Old 05-30-2021, 09:58 PM

435 posts, read 453,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejisme View Post
What's this 6% sales tax... and I have to pay property and income tax too. Where'd my MJ dispensary go? Now I have to drive to Washington or Oregon to get my stress/pain relief supplies? Maybe it won't be such a good idea becoming part of Idaho?
if taxes worry you you'll be pleased to know that Idaho's income taxes are significantly less than Oregon's in every income bracket. But if "what about muh weed" is your biggest concern then idk what to tell you. Not a serious issue.

Old 06-01-2021, 11:38 AM

483 posts, read 353,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW R1100 View Post
If I was homeless, and I have been before, I would want to be in SoCal for the weather. Best on the planet. There was a long editorial in the Sunday LA Times re: homelessness, and what to do about it, a lot of blathering about housing people who don't really want to be housed. What they want is to be able to live their lifestyle; do drugs, drink, with no social responsibility whatsoever. Housing the homeless, which is not very cost-effective at all, does not address the root cause of homelessness. Drugs, alcohol, and the lack of mental health are the root causes, and until those are addressed, there will be no lasting solution to the problem. I wonder, do the Scandinavian countries, with their huge social welfare programs, have a homeless problem, and how do they handle it?
I grew up in Portland but now live in Norway. Norway only has a few homeless in the summer months and they are mostly Romanian gypsies who come to the country to steal, panhandle and deal drugs.

In Norway having a home is a right and the taxpayers will provide housing for anyone lacking one. Typically municipalities will rent housing on behalf of those unable to provide for themselves.

One smart thing Norway has done is to encourage remodels of single family homes to have a separate dwelling unit. As long as the homeowner occupies more than 50% of the livable area any rental income is tax free. The tricky part for the homeowner is building the rental unit so it doesn't impede negatively on their own lifestyle. One of the great things about this policy is it enables densification without destroying the fabric of neighborhoods and allows homeowners flexibility in using their homes. Most recently built single family homes in Norwegian urban areas have rental units. Even if you don't end up renting out that area and using it yourself the value of your home is higher by a couple hundred thousand dollars because you could.

Note though that Norway focuses on keeping people from getting poor and there is a high focus on self-sufficiency from grade school and up. Where the US focuses on policing, punishment and cleaning up messes Norway focuses on prevention.

Old 06-01-2021, 12:35 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,103,317 times
We took a drive down to Portland Sunday. We haven't been since 6 months before the pandemic. Before that went 3-4 times a year, visiting some favorite places that we don't have here, like the Portland Nursery on Stark, Cracker Barrel for lunch, and before it closed my wife would go to Fabric Depot on SE 122nd.

This time, after we crossed the bridge and headed into Portland we were amazed at the graffiti and the homeless tents. We really didn't notice either at all before, now it's "in your face" all over the city. In fact, I would say that the graffiti is far worse than Seattle now, and the number of homeless is rapidly catching up.

I looked it up this morning, and by last count Seattle's total is 5,500, Portland 3,800.

We did have a great time there, however, and just avoided downtown.

Old 06-01-2021, 07:30 PM

330 posts, read 428,308 times
Quote:
Note though that Norway focuses on keeping people from getting poor and there is a high focus on self-sufficiency from grade school and up. Where the US focuses on policing, punishment and cleaning up messes Norway focuses on prevention.
I would move there if they would have me. Same with many other countries, too.

Old 06-02-2021, 12:05 PM

1,252 posts, read 1,103,672 times
Since most Presidents and both political parties are anti tax for basically 40 years, with only some sporadic talk of taxing the rich to fix the poor (talk for the cameras, but likely no action), it's unlikely a national solution will be found to fix the homeless problems in the USA. Certainly nothing similar to the situation in Norway and the tax base in that country. Portland, and Oregonians, should not have to pay the whole tax bill to fix the problems in Oregon. Many of the homeless in the state moved from other locations to get to better/friendlier homeless situations that Oregon presents. We can complain about how the Portland/Oregon politicians are doing nothing, but to a point why should they take on this national problem locally?

Basically, if the population of Portland/Oregon has had enough, and are becoming anti-homeless, then politically voters can support candidates that are more draconian and will pass laws that will impact the current homeless landscape in the state, Portland, or the city you live in. Vote for candidates that support moving homeless into designated camps or move them out of state or your city at least, and make and enforce criminal laws against non-government sponsored homeless camps. Or, continue to support political candidates that allow easy access to drugs, easy ability to establish make-shift homeless camps, allow trash of all types to accumulate on streets and in public parks (public for all the public to use not just the homeless). If you want to provide more government funded services and homes for the homeless, then think about a special Oregon sales tax targeted to address the homeless situation. Kind of hard to convince people in La Grande, Baker City, Burns, Lakeview, etc. to pay a sales tax to fix a mainly Willamette Valley and coastal problem though.

"The Homeless - something must be done." We are the ones that should be doing something. What do you want to do? My take? All solutions take money. Start the Oregon Sales Tax to pay for homeless services, rehabilitation and housing, and get more draconian and setup designated homeless camp locations and enforce the relocation of homeless into these camps. I think the situation has reached the point where the public in general has been adversely impacted enough by the minority homeless, to at least enforce some type of relocation into designated areas. Kind of a: Pay so we don't have to see/deal with the problem people, but provide government services and support to help those that can be helped back into society.

Old 06-02-2021, 01:59 PM

15,574 posts, read 40,417,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavlov's Dog View Post
I grew up in Portland but now live in Norway. Norway only has a few homeless in the summer months and they are mostly Romanian gypsies who come to the country to steal, panhandle and deal drugs.

In Norway having a home is a right and the taxpayers will provide housing for anyone lacking one. Typically municipalities will rent housing on behalf of those unable to provide for themselves.

One smart thing Norway has done is to encourage remodels of single family homes to have a separate dwelling unit. As long as the homeowner occupies more than 50% of the livable area any rental income is tax free. The tricky part for the homeowner is building the rental unit so it doesn't impede negatively on their own lifestyle. One of the great things about this policy is it enables densification without destroying the fabric of neighborhoods and allows homeowners flexibility in using their homes. Most recently built single family homes in Norwegian urban areas have rental units. Even if you don't end up renting out that area and using it yourself the value of your home is higher by a couple hundred thousand dollars because you could.

We have ADU laws here in Oregon, and the city of Salem has been waiving the system development charges to encourage people to build them, but only 77 have been so far. The cost of construction is so high right now that they aren't going to be built. It isn't taking off here because we already have smaller yards to start.

Scandinavia is a different culture. I'm half Finnish and spent many summers there at my grandparents' home. What they have there won't be replicated here because how the community thinks about itself is just different.

Old 06-11-2021, 12:05 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,694 posts, read 58,012,579 times
Default Oregon will allow homeless individuals to sleep on public land in all communities

Solution?

Oregon will allow homeless individuals to sleep on public land in all communities

I think not.

I would much prefer the money and efforts spent to clean places up, be deferred to organizations who are providing more sustainable solutions than a spot on the sidewalk.

YTMV

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/or...?ocid=msedgntp
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon