Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2021, 01:12 PM

15,572 posts, read 40,413,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullArmor View Post
It would be nice if Salem would take some action. They're literally living in filth in most of the camps. Especially under the Market street bridge. It looks like a few garbage trucks just backed up and dumped their loads under there.
Not to mention they've had shootings and found dead bodies more than once...

My barber (a small woman) was attacked in the parking lot of her business at noon a few weeks ago. She ended up in the hospital.

I wish this was just a "people need homes" issue. But it is so much worse than that.
Salem can't take action for the bridges other than complain to ODOT. That is ODOT jurisdiction and it has been their policy through Covid to not displace the homeless people in ODOT right of ways. That is why you see them all over the highways and overpasses.

The city has a list of organizations that are all working on the problem together if you are interested in helping out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2021, 11:18 PM

6 posts, read 6,673 times
I have lived in Salem since 2010. I used to feel safe living here, now it is almost like running the gauntlet when I have to traverse through downtown to cross into West Salem. My wife and I are strongly considering relocation in 5-7 years when we retire. I discovered these forums, while exploring new venues.
We live in the Hayesville area of the NE. There is a pretty large homeless camp on Portland Road, at the end of Lancaster. I stopped going to the McDonalds just down the road. Too many people loitering and trashing the bathrooms.
I don't have an answer for the housing problem. I will say that rents are high, because of real estate values and property taxes.
We have to set aside $500 per month for our property taxes and insurance.
I don't know how retired folks can afford to stay in their homes once retired.

I had a co-worker who was homeless for a few months. He explained that there are two types of homeless people here in Salem. The underlaying issue for most are: mental disabilities, untreated mental health issues, and of course addictions.
His definition of the two types are: Violent and non-violent.
He further explained that most that are non-violent, form family groups for protection and a sense of community. They pool what resources they get, and look after one another. They all mostly live in fear of the violent ones that seem to be mostly centered around the downtown bridge and adjacent areas. He says that there is a serious problem of violence within the homeless community. The worst being females being assaulted by men. My friend also indicated that many of the homeless prefer to live on the streets and do not seek any of the programs except meals from time to time.

Old 07-13-2021, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugsley View Post
I have lived in Salem since 2010. I used to feel safe living here, now it is almost like running the gauntlet when I have to traverse through downtown to cross into West Salem. My wife and I are strongly considering relocation in 5-7 years when we retire. I discovered these forums, while exploring new venues.
We live in the Hayesville area of the NE. There is a pretty large homeless camp on Portland Road, at the end of Lancaster. I stopped going to the McDonalds just down the road. Too many people loitering and trashing the bathrooms.
I don't have an answer for the housing problem. I will say that rents are high, because of real estate values and property taxes.
We have to set aside $500 per month for our property taxes and insurance.
I don't know how retired folks can afford to stay in their homes once retired.

I had a co-worker who was homeless for a few months. He explained that there are two types of homeless people here in Salem. The underlaying issue for most are: mental disabilities, untreated mental health issues, and of course addictions.
His definition of the two types are: Violent and non-violent.
He further explained that most that are non-violent, form family groups for protection and a sense of community. They pool what resources they get, and look after one another. They all mostly live in fear of the violent ones that seem to be mostly centered around the downtown bridge and adjacent areas. He says that there is a serious problem of violence within the homeless community. The worst being females being assaulted by men. My friend also indicated that many of the homeless prefer to live on the streets and do not seek any of the programs except meals from time to time.
Yes, the Portland Rd land is the city-owned property and they are using those temporary structures to house people there. Church @ the Park is managing it and I believe they are buying more of those structures to expand that space so it will get bigger.

MVCAA does a lot with housing and the homeless community and with the money that the permanently disabled homeless can get from SSI, they say that they have to be able to rent for $250 a month. I have a big front porch at my office, and I chat with the homeless people that sleep on it when I ask them to leave in the mornings. Most are eligible for some funds but based on what they tell me, they could not pay more than $500 a month in rent otherwise they can't buy food and normal living items.

I don't know that they "prefer" the streets, but being poor with mental health issues is difficult in America. If you have mental health issues and get fired from every job, or get evicted regularly, there is a certain freedom from that stress when you live on the streets. I think of it more as deciding which stress you prefer to have. I can see that for some, living on the streets is easier than dealing with job loss and evictions on a regular basis. It wouldn't be my choice, but I can see how someone can spiral into that thinking. If life is going to be a battle for you, which battle is easier to cope with?

Old 07-13-2021, 02:14 PM

Good news for the bypasses. ODOT has lifted its restrictions and will start clearing the bypasses. Our market street underpass will be cleared starting July 19th.

Old 04-21-2022, 08:49 PM

11 posts, read 5,218 times
Homeless in Silverton? Not as bad as the bigger towns and cities but just outside Silverton there is a road that goes to Mt.Angel and then to Woodburn. There was a small homeless camp in the ditch by some rail road tracks near a nice house.

It's unfortunately rampart here and will get worse especially if the politicians want to continue to allow legalized drugs because it's common for those in dire situations to turn to drugs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon