Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2021, 04:15 PM

1,254 posts, read 1,107,463 times

Advertisements

This seems to be a Multnomah County (maybe Washington County too) problem mostly in the Portland area. I just got back from another visit to family. I came in on I-84, to I-205, and then out to Wilsonville. I noticed all the camps along the freeway, but they stopped at the Clackamas County line along I-205. I did spend most of my time in the Lake Oswego, West Linn, Oregon City, Wilsonville, and then out to Newberg in Yamhill County. I didn't see any homeless camps in those areas. Family said they are all mostly in Multnomah County, and especially downtown. Are Clackamas and Yamhill county keeping them out? if so, what could Multnomah County copy to keep them out of there, or at least under control?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2021, 04:58 PM

89 posts, read 59,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejisme View Post
This seems to be a Multnomah County (maybe Washington County too) problem mostly in the Portland area. I just got back from another visit to family. I came in on I-84, to I-205, and then out to Wilsonville. I noticed all the camps along the freeway, but they stopped at the Clackamas County line along I-205. I did spend most of my time in the Lake Oswego, West Linn, Oregon City, Wilsonville, and then out to Newberg in Yamhill County. I didn't see any homeless camps in those areas. Family said they are all mostly in Multnomah County, and especially downtown. Are Clackamas and Yamhill county keeping them out? if so, what could Multnomah County copy to keep them out of there, or at least under control?
I think it's just a typical scenario that more homeless will congregate closer to the downtown areas. Suburbia isn't typically very conducive to a homeless lifestyle, especially places like Newberg which are a little more separated from the main Portland metro area. I think it also is a slightly different lifestyle. In the city, you're closer/greater access to get your fix, seems to have more of the substance-abuse types of homeless. Out in the burbs it typically seems to be more panhandlers in my experience. Obviously, not a hard and fast rule. I've come across syringes in the forest behind my place out in Hillsboro. Just fewer and farther between as you get away from the city.

Old 06-21-2021, 04:54 PM

146 posts, read 154,317 times
You guys get what you vote for, plain and simple. Just like Seattle does…

The ad in the New York Times is a sign of the sadness for all of the businesses in Portland that will continue to suffer the lawlessness and homelessness. Maybe someday people will realize they are spending over 100,000 per homeless person with only more of them to show for it, and only people doing better are politicians getting rich.

Neighbors super liberal lesbian daughter moved up to Portland from California to be “accepted”. She complains so much that the homeless can sleep on her building steps and defecate all over with no consequences. Her car has already been broken into 3 times in less than 2 months.

Old 06-21-2021, 08:35 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,485,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam812 View Post
I just spent a little over a week on the central coast, mainly Newport. I was amazed how few homeless I seen compared to previous trips. Not sure how long they have been there but noticed signs everywhere saying it is against the law to give people items/cash out of your car. If new I really like the idea of fining the enablers instead of the homeless.
The reason Newport and other coastal towns have fewer visible homeless is because they camp on public lands. We call them the “blue tarp people”.

Old 06-21-2021, 09:51 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,717,994 times
Quote:
Oregon's homeless issues go far beyond Multnomah and "maybe Washington County too".

Old 06-21-2021, 10:39 PM

2,661 posts, read 3,858,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlud View Post
Y

Neighbors super liberal lesbian daughter moved up to Portland from California to be “accepted”. She complains so much that the homeless can sleep on her building steps and defecate all over with no consequences. Her car has already been broken into 3 times in less than 2 months.

That is actually a kind of funny story.

I wonder if this person has had any wake up calls "i.e. liberalism = crap life?"

Old 06-22-2021, 09:20 AM

5,459 posts, read 8,178,236 times
Portland homeless camps force organizers of Portland Classic LPGA tournament to move location out of Portland to West Linn.

“The tournament director told KOIN 6 News they decided to relocate the 2021 tournament to the Oregon Golf Club in West Linn, citing the city’s rise in homelessness, including the area surrounding Columbia Edgewater. They also cite the health and safety of the LPGA players, staff, fans and local community.”

https://www.koin.com/news/civic-affa...less-concerns/

Old 06-22-2021, 09:30 AM

15,577 posts, read 40,430,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccjarider View Post

I wonder if this person has had any wake up calls "i.e. liberalism = crap life?"
Having liberal values doesn't have to mean a crap life, but there is a line between compassion and enabling. Portland just stepped way over that line and here they are. I think Salem started to lean in that direction, saw that it wouldn't work, and is trying to solve the issue with practical solutions. I think Salem's housing first solution is the way to go, personally. It is fiscally cheaper to house people and be proactive rather than being reactive and dealing with the constant issues that come with homelessness. Housing first is still a liberal approach to solving the problem, but public-private partnerships are a more conservative approach.

Old 06-22-2021, 10:24 AM

1,254 posts, read 1,107,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccjarider View Post

Haha, nice if it was a learning experience for her, but she will just blame someone else, like those damn conservatives in Eastern Oregon that that blocking all the liberal help to the homeless, lol!!

Old 06-23-2021, 01:44 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,717,994 times
Quote:
Haha, nice if it was a learning experience for her, but she will just blame someone else, like those damn conservatives in Eastern Oregon that that blocking all the liberal help to the homeless, lol!!
? You're not making any sense. What are you trying to say?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon