Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2023, 03:23 PM

29,507 posts, read 22,620,513 times

Advertisements

I didn't even know Oregon had such a restriction in place, until I visited Portland a few years ago.

https://autos.yahoo.com/oregon-ends-...183200983.html

Quote:
That's about to change. Oregon lawmakers last week gave final approval to a bill that ends the state's ban on self-service gas pumps, a prohibition that has been in place since 1951. The change will take affect ASAP after Gov. Tina Kotek signs the bill into law. The Oregonian newspaper says this leaves New Jersey as the only state remaining to require gas station attendants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2023, 06:07 PM

15,416 posts, read 9,049,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I didn't even know Oregon had such a restriction in place, until I visited Portland a few years ago.

https://autos.yahoo.com/oregon-ends-...183200983.html
This makes me sad for two reasons.

1. I'm sad for the tens of thousands of gas station attendants who are going to lose their jobs.

2. I'm sad because after eight years of sitting in my nice warm car while getting gas, I'm now going to have to get wet standing out in the rain and cold while pumping my own gas.

The Democrats in this state are worthless garbage. Even though they have the majority, all the Republicans have to do is walkout and the Democrats will promise them anything and everything they want to come back.

This is utterly hopeless. Even if you move to a Democratic majority state, the Republicans still control everything.

Old 06-26-2023, 07:52 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
It will be nice to not have your diesel vehicle filled with gas, at the imsistence of a pump jockey. Lots of Canadians will be spared very expensive towing and repairs.

I imagine Oregon residents will boycott to keep pumpers (not full service mind you).

That's the way it is there. (and always will be)

Old 06-26-2023, 08:03 PM

5,456 posts, read 8,169,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
This makes me sad for two reasons.

1. I'm sad for the tens of thousands of gas station attendants who are going to lose their jobs.

2. I'm sad because after eight years of sitting in my nice warm car while getting gas, I'm now going to have to get wet standing out in the rain and cold while pumping my own gas.

The Democrats in this state are worthless garbage. Even though they have the majority, all the Republicans have to do is walkout and the Democrats will promise them anything and everything they want to come back.

This is utterly hopeless. Even if you move to a Democratic majority state, the Republicans still control everything.
Don't worry. They are still required to have some pumps with attendants for snowflakes who don't want to pump their own gas.

Old 06-26-2023, 08:54 PM

8,213 posts, read 16,686,935 times
I actually saw it as positive since they will have both. You can't please everyone even if you try. Most of the time I prefer pumping my own gas. But during winter, if you want the red carpet pampering, just wait the guy/gal and you can have it your way. Its like Burger King! lol

I seriously doubt many on either side of the aisle cared too much given the hybrid option. That was likely part of the negotiation. I don't think the terrible right wing ruined this one as part of their master plan of doom. Although it might be written somewhere in the MAGA manifesto. Donald probably had a hand in it at least in part, or his minions bent on destruction. haha

Derek

Old 06-27-2023, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post
Don't worry. They are still required to have some pumps with attendants for snowflakes who don't want to pump their own gas.
No they won't. First you have to understand that the Republican Counties in Oregon, already had self-service gas. Now they are forcing it on Democratic Counties. This is a Republican agenda to get rid of gas station attendants. Get rid of jobs and create more homelessness. That is what Republicans do. That is what they have been doing for over 40 years. Combination full-service/self service gas stations have never worked anywhere. Either you have full service or you have self service. There is no inbetween.

But this problem is much bigger than just gas. We have a one party system in this country. The Republican party that controls everything, and a Democratic party that rubber stamps everything the Republicans want. What happened in Texas where the situation was reversed. Democrats walked out and went to Washington DC rather than pass a Republican anti-abortion bill. Then three weeks later they went back to Texas and passed the Republican bill anyway. But when the Republicans do the same thing in Oregon, the Democrats ask them to pretty-please come back. We'll table the gun control bill, we'll table the abortion rights bill, we'll fire the gas station attendants for you. Is there anything else we can do for you to get you to come back?

Oregon voters passed Measure 113 to prevent the Republicans from walking out, but Democrats won't enforce it. Voting Democratic is pointless. It means nothing. The Republicans still control everything.

Old 06-27-2023, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
I actually saw it as positive since they will have both. You can't please everyone even if you try. Most of the time I prefer pumping my own gas. But during winter, if you want the red carpet pampering, just wait the guy/gal and you can have it your way. Its like Burger King! lol

I seriously doubt many on either side of the aisle cared too much given the hybrid option. That was likely part of the negotiation. I don't think the terrible right wing ruined this one as part of their master plan of doom. Although it might be written somewhere in the MAGA manifesto. Donald probably had a hand in it at least in part, or his minions bent on destruction. haha

Derek
As has been discussed many times in this forum, there is no hybrid option. Once you start allowing self-service everything becomes self-service. There is no successful hybrid system anywhere. It's just a transition from full-service to self-service.

Old 06-27-2023, 05:34 AM

8,329 posts, read 2,959,252 times
Not having seen a full service station since the 80s(s) my heart bleeds for those that dread the option of pumping their own fuel.

Old 06-27-2023, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leona Valley View Post
Not having seen a full service station since the 80s(s) my heart bleeds for those that dread the option of pumping their own fuel.
I'm pretty sure your heart doesn't bleed for any thing, including the 10,000 Oregonians who are going to lose their jobs and end up living on the streets.

Old 06-27-2023, 08:35 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Pump jockeys are not full service (btdt since our family owned FS stations for decades).

There will be plenty of options to find and use pump jockeys in Oregon for many years to come. Surely there will be a law passed requiring a "qualified (?)" Person to plug in your EV.

Imagine 10,000 minds and bodies put to work serving the community, or inventing new products ! Rather than being exposed to dangerous chemicals for prolonged periods of time. The few minutes of exposure to DIY vs the prolonged exposure of fueling 100's of vehicles / day will save lives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon