Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2023, 07:40 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,700,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccjarider View Post
Also - frankly, I have found OR to be a good place to make money. The overall population (your competition if you will) has such crap work ethic that is it not hard to be a rock star and do pretty well.
I've thought about this. But lower wages persist compared to many other states while cost of living (housing) and income tax remain high (progressive).

Back to pumping gas. It could be interested to see what happens with all these new found freedoms.

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 07-07-2023 at 07:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2023, 06:43 PM

2,662 posts, read 3,859,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
I've thought about this. But lower wages persist compared to many other states while cost of living (housing) and income tax remain high (progressive).

Back to pumping gas. It could be interested to see what happens with all these new found freedoms.
Everyone's situation is likely different I suppose but for me, I have found wage/bonus scenarios here to be commensurate to national opportunities. You are absolutely correct though on the income tax reality here.

When we moved here from Chicago area 14-15 yrs ago. Housing was a bargain compared to NW suburbs of Chicago. Scenario is different today.

Funny pics btw.

Old 07-08-2023, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccjarider View Post
Everyone's situation is likely different I suppose but for me, I have found wage/bonus scenarios here to be commensurate to national opportunities. You are absolutely correct though on the income tax reality here.

When we moved here from Chicago area 14-15 yrs ago. Housing was a bargain compared to NW suburbs of Chicago. Scenario is different today.

Funny pics btw.
Interesting. It might depend on your area of specialization. When we first moved here, I looked at the IT jobs in Portland and the wages were significantly lower than CA. Although I had a remote position I brought with me, I was still interested in exploring local opportunities. So, I spoke with a local PDX recruiter. He basically said that wages are below most major metros including remote opportunities from them. That was consistent with what I observed as well.

There was a point in which I was making a significant change in my role no longer working for our CA clients earning CA wages. Although I looked locally, I eventually found a position of comparable salary out of Kansas City, MO above local wages. We also have customers in Chicago where I saw similar salaries. I guess if I was forced to work local, I would look harder. But then I have to add back Oregon income tax even though living in WA. So, it would need to be higher to even be a break even. I think for those who have remote options, its become harder to work locally for lessor pay and more hassle (daily rush hour/extra gas/wasted time).

It might also depend if you got in early like you did ~15 years ago. If you worked your way up to the top of the heap, pay may be higher than the average bear. Although I'm more of a senior level techie in my area, it seems like those higher paying positions are much fewer and further between. And the number of companies are more limited as well at least among the major players, Nike, Intel, OHSU, California based companies with branches ('area adjusted/reduced' pay), etc....

When big companies adjust down for 'local' Portland wages, I don't think they take into consideration recent COL changes in housing. So, the lower going pay keeps things artificially lower and out of synch with current costs until something else gives.

ETA: I looked up some recent comparisons and PDX pay isn't all bad. It's just that in IT, CA is far and away the highest, then other large metros follow such as Seattle. After that, it really becomes situational from what I've seen. For example, I have some friends working at HP in Vancouver who are senior and do really well. But HP is also known for big layoffs. So, I've never personally been a fan. But for some it works...

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 07-08-2023 at 09:20 PM..

Old 07-09-2023, 07:51 AM

19,521 posts, read 9,540,055 times
I suppose it’s possible for the person pumping gas to watch car repair at the station. Maybe help out when not busy pumping and eventually working and making more money repairing vehicles?

Old 07-09-2023, 11:32 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,806,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I didn't even know Oregon had such a restriction in place, until I visited Portland a few years ago.

https://autos.yahoo.com/oregon-ends-...183200983.html
Good. Could they please convince NJ to do the same? Having to have someone pump your gas at the service stations on the NJ Turnpike is the 7th circle of h*ll.

Last edited by UNC4Me; 07-09-2023 at 11:45 AM..

Old 07-11-2023, 02:02 PM

335 posts, read 154,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Combination full-service/self service gas stations have never worked anywhere. Either you have full service or you have self service. There is no inbetween.
Uh, no... We have these in Canada, as well as full serve and self serve only. There are many handicapped people who drive that are incapable of getting out to pump their own gas. Of course, the cost is slightly higher in the full serve lines to pay the gas jockey's wages.

Quote:
This is a Republican agenda to get rid of gas station attendants. Get rid of jobs and create more homelessness. That is what Republicans do.
Of course. It's a deep running conspiracy.

Old 07-11-2023, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickIlhenney View Post
Uh, no... We have these in Canada, as well as full serve and self serve only. There are many handicapped people who drive that are incapable of getting out to pump their own gas. Of course, the cost is slightly higher in the full serve lines to pay the gas jockey's wages.

Of course. It's a deep running conspiracy.
Right, it's a deep state conspiracy from the right - code name MOPA a.k.a Make Oregonians Pump Again
or MOTHA Make Oregonians Think Hard Again
or MOMA Make Oregonians Modernize Again.

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 07-11-2023 at 03:12 PM..

Old 07-11-2023, 06:37 PM

3,072 posts, read 1,682,055 times
Pumping our own gasoline will not save us a dime at the pumps. Won't save time for the people waiting behind us either because we pay cash only for our gas. More lower-skilled people out of work. Oh, well! The homeless problem keeps increasing, anyway.

Old 07-11-2023, 10:30 PM

5,447 posts, read 7,740,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckystrike1 View Post
Pumping our own gasoline will not save us a dime at the pumps. Won't save time for the people waiting behind us either because we pay cash only for our gas. More lower-skilled people out of work. Oh, well! The homeless problem keeps increasing, anyway.
Gas stations face a shortage of workers already. So I don't think the homeless are jumping at those jobs anyway.

Old 07-12-2023, 07:02 AM

7,566 posts, read 3,248,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
Gas stations face a shortage of workers already. So I don't think the homeless are jumping at those jobs anyway.
You are right. The labor shortage is actually likely what is driving this change now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon