Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2023, 08:51 AM

19,499 posts, read 9,525,458 times

Advertisements

I remember years back, when gas lines had signs up saying Full Service or Self Service, but then one saw fewer and fewer Full Service signs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
I actually saw it as positive since they will have both. You can't please everyone even if you try. Most of the time I prefer pumping my own gas. But during winter, if you want the red carpet pampering, just wait the guy/gal and you can have it your way. Its like Burger King! lol

I seriously doubt many on either side of the aisle cared too much given the hybrid option. That was likely part of the negotiation. I don't think the terrible right wing ruined this one as part of their master plan of doom. Although it might be written somewhere in the MAGA manifesto. Donald probably had a hand in it at least in part, or his minions bent on destruction. haha

Derek
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2023, 08:53 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
It will be nice to not have your diesel vehicle filled with gas, .......

Always in Oregon, the owners of diesel motors and motorcycles have been legally allowed to pump their own fuel. So if you got gasoline put into your diesel tank, you have no one to blame but yourself. If you drive a diesel and wanted the attendant to do it for you, you are right there and can see which nozzle he picks up to place in your gas tank. Diesel nozzles are clearly marked.

The big issue about gas station attendants is that Oregonians were happy with the system and didn't want it changed. But lots of Californians moved in and were accustomed to filling their own tanks and they have outvoted the locals to get the law changed because they believed that things were done better where they came from. . Just a very obvious example of the incomers getting enough votes to change their new address into the place they moved away from.

Old 06-27-2023, 09:24 AM

10,065 posts, read 7,229,638 times
I used to be against getting rid of it just to keep the jobs available. I remember during the recession, some people had to fall back on gas station jobs.

But it's been hard to find gas attendants for the last year or two. A lot of times there's only 1 for a whole station and they're overwhelmed. Or the station has to close early for lack of attendants.

Old 06-27-2023, 09:40 AM

2,660 posts, read 3,855,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
No they won't. First you have to understand that the Republican Counties in Oregon, already had self-service gas. Now they are forcing it on Democratic Counties. This is a Republican agenda to get rid of gas station attendants. Get rid of jobs and create more homelessness. That is what Republicans do. That is what they have been doing for over 40 years. Combination full-service/self service gas stations have never worked anywhere. Either you have full service or you have self service. There is no inbetween.

But this problem is much bigger than just gas. We have a one party system in this country. The Republican party that controls everything, and a Democratic party that rubber stamps everything the Republicans want. What happened in Texas where the situation was reversed. Democrats walked out and went to Washington DC rather than pass a Republican anti-abortion bill. Then three weeks later they went back to Texas and passed the Republican bill anyway. But when the Republicans do the same thing in Oregon, the Democrats ask them to pretty-please come back. We'll table the gun control bill, we'll table the abortion rights bill, we'll fire the gas station attendants for you. Is there anything else we can do for you to get you to come back?

Oregon voters passed Measure 113 to prevent the Republicans from walking out, but Democrats won't enforce it. Voting Democratic is pointless. It means nothing. The Republicans still control everything.

Off the meds today, eh?

This partisan rant is off the wall.
Yea - Republicans walk out because of their hatred for gas station jockeys!! You are not even a serious debater anymore.

Alternate thought - freeing up citizen money from non value add expenditures like gas station attendants, makes state economy stronger. Thus more and better jobs are available.

Old 06-27-2023, 09:53 AM

4,022 posts, read 1,872,571 times
wow. So I should blame all the homeless in the other 49 states on lack of full-service? I never knew...

Look - I like when someone pumps my gas. Still like that in lots of Canada.

The thing is - I like pumping it AT MY OWN PACE a whole lot more. Full service is not fast service, not always. So while I do indeed freeze in the winter and get wet in the rain and sweaty in the summer - at least my gas stop is 100% predictable in terms of time required. Seems a simple thing - but once you're used to it, a full service location is infuriating.

Meantime - that type of job is not the job that stands between you and "Homeless." That job is the very same job you'd have if you applied at McDonalds instead of BP. Same pay. Probably less in some places. If it were a job that paid 80-100K per year - and now thousands of families are out of that income - I guess it'd be a better argument - but that's not the case.

Old 06-27-2023, 10:30 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
Rarely are BOTH answers to a question, Yes or No, equally silly. But this is such a case.

Old 06-27-2023, 11:59 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Always in Oregon, the owners of diesel motors and motorcycles have been legally allowed to pump their own fuel.....
Actually... it is the legal discretion of the service station owner in Oregon to allow self dispensing of Fuels to Motorcycles and Diesels. Many have signs disallowing, for various reasons (Which can legally be the sole discretion of the proprietor). Nearly all who disallow will declare "Insurance reasons".

Most of the Canadians we have hosted who got Oregon petrol in their diesel cars were told they were not allowed to pump, + they expected the attendant to READ / know the difference. They arrived very late and very frustrated. (and much poorer).

Been fighting it for 45 yrs, so I know where to direct people to fill while in OR (DIY).

Old 06-27-2023, 02:19 PM

1,252 posts, read 1,102,471 times
Pumping gas was one of my high school and early college summer jobs. It was an OK job. To me it surely beat any type of food service job (did two of those). Anyway, it will be sad to see the service, and attendants go.

I would guess this mainly comes from the service station owners. To make ends meet it would be easier if they don't have to pay ~$15 per hour to attendants. I also hear it's getting harder to find people to work the pumps. Last summer I was at the coast and got fuel at a chain station. I asked the attendant if she'd lived in Lincoln City (or Newport) for long? She said: "Oh no. I live in the Seattle area. I normally work in the corporate accounting department, but due to the shortage of attendants all the corporate staff have to spend a 45 day rotation working at stations pumping gas." She said she'd been in Lincoln City for two weeks and was moving on to Corvallis next for a few weeks.

Old 06-27-2023, 02:58 PM

10,065 posts, read 7,229,638 times
The labor shortage is why this is happenning.

Old 06-27-2023, 03:48 PM

88,515 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Oh Noes. New Jersey is the only one left!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon