Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2023, 11:48 PM

8,495 posts, read 8,780,831 times

Advertisements

I searched for threads about living in Pendleton and there aren't many. I read a half dozen of the bigger ones; and while the comments are useful, most of them are 7-15 years old. Anybody have new comments on the town these days?

I am looking at the newspaper and some other sources but thought I'd ask here. I know some of the basics, mainly interested in what is new or changed recently.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2023, 10:48 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,022,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
I searched for threads about living in Pendleton and there aren't many. I read a half dozen of the bigger ones; and while the comments are useful, most of them are 7-15 years old. Anybody have new comments on the town these days?

I am looking at the newspaper and some other sources but thought I'd ask here. I know some of the basics, mainly interested in what is new or changed recently.
Higher cost of housing (the dispersion of America).

If serious about relocating there, I would try to find an updated CEDS (this is 2019)
Comprehensive Economic Development Strategy
https://www.statsamerica.org/ceds/pd...00_6_1_289.pdf

this is more current info, and a good place to start for understanding the LT infrastructure and forward looking vision of the community. (bit overzealous (that's their job), but visionary, and just might pan out - at least it offers direction for the future, and contact with those passionate and invested enough to make it happen)
https://www.prosperinpendleton.com/

I'd hang around these people as well, since I consider colleges to be an asset to communities. Especially rural communities. It can be their new 'lifeblood' of activity.
https://www.bluecc.edu/about/locations/bmcc-pendleton

Old 07-17-2023, 11:42 AM

8,214 posts, read 16,693,408 times
What are you looking for in Pendleton compared to other cities in that region? What about TriCities?

Derek

Old 07-17-2023, 02:20 PM

Thanks for the Prosper Pendleton and CED plan links. Will review. The fast internet claim is new to me and relevant.

Pendleton has relatively low housing costs, even if accelerating more than national average.

Low snow is a plus for me, especially if I went to a 2 place, divided calendar.

Pendleton's location puts it within about 4 to 6 hours of 7 larger metros. Much more & better choices of neighbors than where I am at now.

Most of my possible interest in Oregon has been focused on LaGrande and Baker City. Pendleton would be another option. I have looked a little before, but wanted to update my understanding of it. Pluses and minuses. Not considering Tri-Cities WA to live but being closer to it has some advantages in general and in comparison to driving longer to Boise from other OR and ID locations.

Last edited by NW Crow; 07-17-2023 at 03:10 PM..

Old 07-17-2023, 03:32 PM

It does appear to true that 2 companies offer plans up to 1 gigabyte speed there and broadly. That is vastly more than available in my fairly remote location.

I now see LaGrande is claiming up to 6 gigs where available.

Last edited by NW Crow; 07-17-2023 at 04:36 PM..

Old 07-17-2023, 03:40 PM

Pendleton is a small city. These amenities are not that surprising but good to confirm presence of them:

Rec center, aquatic center, convention center, outdoor event arena, flights to Portland, multiple museums, art center, 40 restaurants, brewery & distillery, public transit, 5 screen cinema, modest library, 4-5 radio stations in the region I might listen to, 2 newspapers, Walmart, 2 other department stores, full-size grocery, hardware store, pharmacy, small hospital (built new 10 years ago), community college...

Don't know what a place has and does not until you dig. Not a big or even medium sized place compared to the norm but that is pretty decent for me.

(I can access those kinds of things now... if I drive 20-30 miles.)

The longer, more usable spring & fall could be nice.

Walla Walla is another option.

Distance to preferred natural areas is a consideration.

Last edited by NW Crow; 07-17-2023 at 04:34 PM..

Old 07-17-2023, 06:08 PM

Walla Walla is worth considering, since it's in the neighborhood. It's a very nice small city and far more variety (and greener) than Pendleton (plants / terrain and people / sustainability). (I like Waitsburg, WA for a nearby rural town (without amenities), very interesting architecture!

I attend events here:
https://www.slcww.org/
and at the (3) higher edu schools in Walla Walla (always plenty to do)

Walla Walla is pretty liberal, but is also AG, (crop growers) vs Pendleton (Cowboy central) vs La Grande (Timber centric)
The towns each have very different personalities, so you'll need to try them all on to see what best suits you. I like them all, but Walla Walla would get my vote as a retiree / later chapter in life. But I also much prefer WA neighbors over Oregon neighbors when it comes to community engagement, education, and solutions (together as a community).

If you're driving... Spokane is pretty close to Walla Walla (easy day trip RT). Boise / Portland options from your other choices can be a long haul, (overnight might be necessary) especially during winter weather. Moscow, ID is also a nice closeby town to Walla Walla. I have friends in all these and enjoy visiting them and learning more about their communities. (and why they are there, and why they stay). For that region, I would seriously consider Moscow or Walla Walla if I wanted a city. There are several nice small towns in the region. One of my boss gals (in Olympia) grew up in Dayton, WA. She is very well adjusted to life. (a capable / understanding / and talented person with a very open perspective to help others). i.e. there are some very good people in each of your areas of choice.

Old 07-17-2023, 11:45 PM

5,440 posts, read 7,733,177 times
Walla Walla would be my choice of a small city east of the Cascades. It is a very nice place. And just big enough to have a diversity of options.

Old 07-18-2023, 09:57 AM

Walla Walla is certainly a good target.

But it is 80% denser in the city than Pendleton and houses on average are 40% more expensive. I am generally in favor of lower density. Would need to find the right neighborhood, in town or outside, and the right price.

Different options considered. Live in Walla Walla immediate area, or Pendleton or Milton-Freewater or Waitsburg or Dayton or La Grande or Baker City and go into Walla Walla perhaps a couple times per month.

WW is a slightly bigger metro than the one I am near now and quite a bit denser and still growing. Not sure if I want to go "bigger" metro in general, though the difference is only slight in this case. Continue to debate the right size going forward and right time. Pluses and minuses of being closer to the center of things.

Moscow is a pretty good target too and has been considered quite bit.

Focus in this thread is updating evaluation of Pendleton.

Last edited by NW Crow; 07-18-2023 at 10:12 AM..

Old 07-18-2023, 11:30 AM

Sounds like you are considering splitting your time between chosen destinations.

What months would you be in Pendleton?
Look to the airport weather and wind charts (monthly)
Pendleton has more extreme weather, probably due to topography and prevailing winds. (LaGrande is similar siting but more temporate (Sheltered, rather than Exposed to incoming weather systems) It is very Dry and HOT compared to your other mentioned choices. +/-

For WY comparisons (one of my past & future destination states) Pendleton is the Laramie of Oregon, not the Torrington (Walla Walla), or the Powell / Sheridan (LaGrande)

Of course you have been reading the news, but... for the next reader looking for a Pendleton update...
WHAT TO LOOK FOR IN 2023
https://pendleton.or.us/sites/defaul...nuary_2023.pdf

https://www.pendletonprojects.com/projects/all

https://www.eastoregonian.com/news/l...851a359cd.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon