Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 03:10 PM

1,531 posts, read 3,099,947 times

Advertisements

Work hard? Not seeing that. Speak English? Only when forced to. Drive badly? Absolutely!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2013, 08:43 AM

339 posts, read 975,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchdaride View Post
Alot of them come here for the benefits . Nothing wrong with that but it should only be temporary till you get a good job and some savings

You do know that puertorricans can get the same welfare and food stamps in PR right? They don't have to move to Florida for those benefits. They are moving to Florida for jobs and safety, the goverment benefits they can get back at home.

Old 02-08-2013, 10:00 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,123,127 times
You do realize that Puerto Rican people are U.S. citizens just like the rest of us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchdaride View Post
Alot of them come here for the benefits . Nothing wrong with that but it should only be temporary till you get a good job and some savings

Old 02-08-2013, 10:42 AM

5,779 posts, read 14,573,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 912 View Post
Work hard? Not seeing that. Speak English? Only when forced to. Drive badly? Absolutely!
Work hard? Yes they do, some of the hardest working people I know are Puerto Rican

Speaking English? I know Puerto Rican people who only speak English and don't know Spanish

Drive badly? So do most other people in this city regardless of race

Your logic is null and void

Old 02-10-2013, 02:16 PM

3 posts, read 7,108 times
I've lived in Orlando for 16 years. I am a very hard worker. I've done a lot of general labor jobs and have sometimes worked 14 hours in one day. I'm Puerto Rican and I don't speak much Spanish at all. I don't even understand most of it. I like living around other Ricans because We can relate as far as our culture and history is concerned.

Jobs are hard to come by ( especially with good compensation), If you don't have a License or car then it's very hard to get around ( Public transportation not good), and some laws here are horrible.

It is much safer here then places in Chicago, New York, Philadelphia etc.... Where a lot of Ricans live as well.. I'd liked to know where outside of Florida is there a safe city or suburb where a good amount of Puerto Ricans live as well.. I just like diversity.

Old 02-11-2013, 07:37 PM

93 posts, read 235,936 times
Quote:
Jobs are hard to come by ( especially with good compensation), If you don't have a License or car then it's very hard to get around ( Public transportation not good), and some laws here are horrible.
This is the Bottom line on this place. They don't call the south "dirty" for nothing.

Quote:
It is much safer here then places in Chicago, New York, Philadelphia etc.... Where a lot of Ricans live as well.. I'd liked to know where outside of Florida is there a safe city or suburb where a good amount of Puerto Ricans live as well.. I just like diversity.

Try Reading and Allentown Pa.

Old 02-11-2013, 08:31 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,319,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly Stress View Post
This is the Bottom line on this place. They don't call the south "dirty" for nothing.

Try Reading and Allentown Pa.
Reading?
It's as or more dangerous than Orlando

readingeagle.com/mobile/article.aspx?id=266369

And much more poor

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/27/us...anted=all&_r=0

Old 02-11-2013, 11:47 PM

457 posts, read 627,067 times
Dear WSJ,

There are a lot of Puerto Ricans in Kissimmee. Big deal.

I'd rather live in Orlando than New York, too.

Sincerely,

Me

Old 02-12-2013, 12:17 AM

38 posts, read 67,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by americandreamdead View Post
This is why Osceola is what it is today.

A horrific road filled with ancient mom and pop motels where child predators reside alongside homeless families (192).

A 'master planned' community set in swampland because the Rat couldn't do anything else with it (Celebration).

Class C 'attractions' like Old Town, ripoff helicopter rides and no maintenance go kart tracks.

Don't forget the hordes of abandoned buildings and illegal ticket sellers too.

All these benefits and endless Spanglish. Who could ask for more.
This sounds a lot like South Florida !!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-13-2013, 08:24 AM

27,196 posts, read 43,886,661 times
Interesting the hypocrisy between this being a good thing for Central Florida yet nearly any mention of South Florida is hardly praiseworthy for most. Anyone disputing the parallels clearly has no handle of South Florida's evolution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando