Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 10:43 AM

5,779 posts, read 14,581,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Interesting the hypocrisy between this being a good thing for Central Florida yet nearly any mention of South Florida is hardly praiseworthy for most. Anyone disputing the parallels clearly has no handle of South Florida's evolution.
So you think Central Florida is headed the same direction South Florida is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2013, 11:53 AM

4,167 posts, read 9,343,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Interesting the hypocrisy between this being a good thing for Central Florida yet nearly any mention of South Florida is hardly praiseworthy for most. Anyone disputing the parallels clearly has no handle of South Florida's evolution.
It's racist not matter where it's happening. I was always annoyed by visitors to SFL saying dumb remarks like "are we in America?" or "speak English this America". I wanted to tell them "this is Miami, learn to speak a second language." The truth is most Spanish speakers (or any other language for that matter) are now bilingual, both here and SFL. If they're only speaking Spanish there's a reason, most of times because they don't want ignorant people to understand what's being said.

Old 02-14-2013, 07:02 AM

27,224 posts, read 43,956,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
So you think Central Florida is headed the same direction South Florida is?
Yes I do, much of South and East Orlando (as well as Kissimmee) in particular. I grew up in South Florida and watched the metamorphosis during the 1980s in particular. The Hispanic immigrant migration pattern historically involves transforming an area into something more similar to their homeland and once the change occurs for better or for worse, there is no going back. The Hispanic communities tend to be insular and by design drive out non-Spanish speaking residents.

Last edited by kyle19125; 02-14-2013 at 07:15 AM..

Old 02-14-2013, 11:42 PM

457 posts, read 627,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crane's Rooster View Post
It's racist not matter where it's happening. I was always annoyed by visitors to SFL saying dumb remarks like "are we in America?" or "speak English this America". I wanted to tell them "this is Miami, learn to speak a second language." The truth is most Spanish speakers (or any other language for that matter) are now bilingual, both here and SFL. If they're only speaking Spanish there's a reason, most of times because they don't want ignorant people to understand what's being said.
I do think that if you move to a new country, you should (unless you are old) learn their language. Nobody should expect the whole country to learn their language. Common sense.

I also think that if you're going to live in central or south Florida, you should learn at least some Spanish. Common sense, again.

I do not think people who have yet to master Spansih are "ignorant people." That's a rather mean thing to say.

I also think that if you can, you should refrain from excluding those around you by speaking a language they don't understand. Goes for all people and all languages. It's rude...and kind of mean.

It will be easier for everyone if we are all as polite and inclusive as we can be.

It does not help for everyone to be flinging insults around.

Old 02-15-2013, 08:36 AM

4,167 posts, read 9,343,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvOrlando View Post
I do think that if you move to a new country, you should (unless you are old) learn their language. Nobody should expect the whole country to learn their language. Common sense.

I also think that if you're going to live in central or south Florida, you should learn at least some Spanish. Common sense, again.

I do not think people who have yet to master Spansih are "ignorant people." That's a rather mean thing to say.

I also think that if you can, you should refrain from excluding those around you by speaking a language they don't understand. Goes for all people and all languages. It's rude...and kind of mean.

It will be easier for everyone if we are all as polite and inclusive as we can be.

I agree with you whole heartedly. It's been my experience that non-English speakers will clam up and speak their native tongue when they sense the person they are dealing with is hostile or one of those "speak English" types. I don't speak much Spanish but I can understand it ok, I've lived in and worked in predominantly Spanish speaking areas. I never had an issue because I take the same approach you do, I'm generally going to try to be nice right off the bat. Most of the times even if the other person really could not speak English they try to help me by saying very basic words in Spanish, or pointing or gesturing. People generally want to help each other, but if they get the sense you are belittling or frustrating them they will respond in kind. Just a tiip.

Old 02-15-2013, 08:47 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,061,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly Stress View Post
Try Reading and Allentown Pa.
Reading yes. Allentown, they asked for a "safe" place.

Old 02-15-2013, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvOrlando View Post

I do know some very basic spanish and can ask simple questions and say simple phrases in Spanish, but hoesntly I prefer not to speak it unless I absolutely have to

One thing about Puerto Ricans is that a lot of them already speak English (it is taught in schools down there, or so I've heard) Where I live there are a lot of Colombians and Venezuelans who do not speak any English, and have no desire to learn it, even people in my age group

I have met a lot of Hispanics in far South Orlando and Kissimmee who have approached me asking if I speak Spanish, usually I say I don't and often times I get a "Well you need to learn!" Why? The majority of people in Orlando speak English and only English, I'm not going to learn more Spanish just to cater to the few who refuse to learn it

You wouldn't think so, but I had less of a language barrier in Los Angeles than I have had here, or in Las Vegas either, and both cities have a much HIGHER Latino population than Metro Orlando. Los Angeles is around 48% Latino I believe, Orange County is only about 18% and Clark County, NV is 31%

Sorry if that sounded racist, it wasnt meant to be. I just dont think its right that two other major US cities which have higher Latino populations than our own have less language barriers than we do

Old 02-15-2013, 12:03 PM

27,224 posts, read 43,956,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
I have met a lot of Hispanics in far South Orlando and Kissimmee who have approached me asking if I speak Spanish, usually I say I don't and often times I get a "Well you need to learn!" Why? The majority of people in Orlando speak English and only English, I'm not going to learn more Spanish just to cater to the few who refuse to learn it
And that is why precisely why I think parts of Central Florida will become like parts of South Florida, due to the "white flight" from those who have issue with that.

Old 02-15-2013, 12:46 PM

457 posts, read 627,627 times
You know what they say! Put two men who speak different languages on an island and the smarter one will learn the language of the other!

I don't know Spanish well enough to distinguish Columbians from Venezuelans, etc. I hope one day to be that familiar with the language - to be able to hear (and place!) accents/dialects. I have a foreign friend who said she couldn't hear the difference between northerners, southerners and those people in Maine or Massachusetts that say Bah Hahba instead of Bar Harbor. She explained that they all sound the same to her. It surprised me, but now I get it. It's hard enough just starting to learn a language!

You can beat your head against a wall because Orlando is a bilingual city or you can go learn English/Spanish. But whichever group you chose, try to be nice to the folks in the other group, huh? It costs you nothing and the more niceness we have, the happier we will all be.

Just because they fight in Miami doesn't mean we need to. Orlando can be different, unique and cool. We don't all have to have everyone fighting with each other. Wouldn't it be cool if people could point to Orlando as a place where a bunch of different groups live together as friends?

I guess I really like the idea of different people all living happily together. It's very American. It is kind of pleasantly happy. Maybe it's a childish idea. But it beats the alternative, so I'm going to hang on to it.

Old 02-16-2013, 12:01 PM

The idea of all groups of people in Metro Orlando is a nice thought but not a realistic one.

As I've seen the demographics change in Orlando I notice each ethnicity is sticking more and more to only associating with its own. A lot of people of various ethnicities say its 'For the best' to only associate with whatever people share the same ethnicity or skin color as you.

This is especially true in terms of dating. Unless you're a black man dating a white woman, interracial dating is looked down upon (albeit quietly) in this city. Even in 2013 it's not something most people around here approve of.

And it is even become this way with platonic friendships. When I go out I often see more and more white kids only with white kids, Latinos with other Latinos and blacks only with blacks, etc, etc

I don't really agree with these beliefs and ways if thinking but that's just the way it is and there's nothing I can do about it.

The people of Orlando seem happier living life, quietly resenting one another
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando