Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 07:04 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,323,903 times

Advertisements

Orlando/Kissimmee got a mention on NPR today. It's the new hotspot in the state that's overtaken NY as the primary destination for Puerto Ricans coming to the US...

One-Way Tickets To Florida: Puerto Ricans Escape Island Woes : NPR

Quote:
Today, Florida replaces New York as the primary destination for Puerto Ricans coming to the U.S. In Osceola County, Fla., the population has tripled over the past two decades largely because of the migration. It's one of the nation's fastest growing areas, and about half of the population is Hispanic — most of them Puerto Rican.
Quote:
The connection between Florida and Puerto Rico stretches back decades. But many say the Big Bang — the event that created the huge wave of Puerto Rican migration — came on a specific date: Oct. 1, 1971, the day Walt Disney World opened its doors.

Disney World, and the theme parks that came after it, created thousands of jobs in an area that had been largely rural. Opportunities were especially ripe for bilingual speakers like John Quinones, a Puerto Rican who's now a commissioner in Osceola County.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2013, 10:56 PM

200 posts, read 538,379 times
I think Alan Grayson beat John Q last year for US Rep. Anyone remmber the ads about making English the official language? Can't remember if that was a Grayson or John Q ad (against another Republican). I'm surprised he's still commissioner.

As for the population increase, wouldn't a lot of the new Puerto Ricans moving here be coming from New York? I know several who lived in NY for most of their life and recently moved down to Florida for retirement.

Old 02-06-2013, 07:37 AM

97 posts, read 228,972 times
This is why Osceola is what it is today.

A horrific road filled with ancient mom and pop motels where child predators reside alongside homeless families (192).

A 'master planned' community set in swampland because the Rat couldn't do anything else with it (Celebration).

Class C 'attractions' like Old Town, ripoff helicopter rides and no maintenance go kart tracks.

Don't forget the hordes of abandoned buildings and illegal ticket sellers too.

All these benefits and endless Spanglish. Who could ask for more.

Old 02-06-2013, 10:02 AM

4,167 posts, read 9,339,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by americandreamdead View Post
This is why Osceola is what it is today.

A horrific road filled with ancient mom and pop motels where child predators reside alongside homeless families (192).

A 'master planned' community set in swampland because the Rat couldn't do anything else with it (Celebration).

Class C 'attractions' like Old Town, ripoff helicopter rides and no maintenance go kart tracks.

Don't forget the hordes of abandoned buildings and illegal ticket sellers too.

All these benefits and endless Spanglish. Who could ask for more.
And this is all because one group of people? That's not racist at all!

I for one think the migration of Puerto Ricans here has been good for CFL. If nothing else, it adds a different dimension to our community, another spice or flavor to our melting pot if you will. Puerto Ricans and Hispanics in general have contributed greatly to our community. Many have made the most of the opportunities and become very successful. Darren Soto, who started as the State Representative and now is a State Senator is a great representative for the community. What's interesting is that he ran against another prominent Hispanic Republican for his seat. It's good to see that the community is growing and diverse enough to support two major candidates for both parties. They are not the Cubans of Miami but Puerto Rican clout is certainly growing here in Orlando.

Old 02-06-2013, 10:17 AM

105 posts, read 179,618 times
Well said "Crane's Rooster"! Our community doesn't need the type of ignorance being expressed by "americandreamdead". The positive contributions to the community by all races and ethnic groups should be highlighted. That is what strengthens a community not highlighting the negative.

Old 02-06-2013, 11:34 AM

1,531 posts, read 3,100,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocker14 View Post
The positive contributions to the community by all races and ethnic groups should be highlighted. That is what strengthens a community not highlighting the negative.
But if the negative outweighs the positive, you'd be a fool for not mentioning it.

But, we can't "unbuild" Disney, and we by extension, can't "unbuild" BVL, where the problem all started.

Old 02-06-2013, 11:57 AM

5,779 posts, read 14,577,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 912 View Post
But if the negative outweighs the positive, you'd be a fool for not mentioning it.

But, we can't "unbuild" Disney, and we by extension, can't "unbuild" BVL, where the problem all started.

I dont see how Puerto Ricans moving to Orlando is a "problem" for our community if they are legal US citizens and have every right to move here if they choose to do so, and a lot of them already speak English

I live in an area that is over 50% Hispanic, and majority of my neighbors are Puerto Rican. They work hard at their jobs, own homes, and play by all the same rules. Its sad to see that there is prejudice towards them in this town, but any racial prejudice is sad

And BVL is definitely not the best area, but I would certainly rather live there than Oak Ridge, Americana or Pine Hills, or even Azalea Park. I don't go to BVL very often but for the most part I know its a relatively quiet area and the people I've met and know who live there are pretty nice. And some of the developments in BVL are actually pretty nice going east on Osceola Parkway towards Boggy Creek

The same applies to the communities of Meadow Woods and Southchase, both of which are heavily Hispanic yet still nice desirable communities

I've yet to see the "problem"

Old 02-06-2013, 04:45 PM

3,877 posts, read 3,896,280 times
I am cool as long as they work and can speak fluent english.

Old 02-06-2013, 07:28 PM

69 posts, read 189,810 times
Alot of them come here for the benefits . Nothing wrong with that but it should only be temporary till you get a good job and some savings

Old 02-06-2013, 08:42 PM

4,167 posts, read 9,339,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchdaride View Post
Alot of them come here for the benefits . Nothing wrong with that but it should only be temporary till you get a good job and some savings

I have no stats to back this up nor do I feel I need them but most people who come here from elsewhere work hard and are generally adverse to taking assistance unless they absolutly have too, its the immigrant work ethic. Its usually those who have been here for a while that are more likely to accept assistance. This is true for most all ethnic groups not just Puerto Ricans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando