Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2010, 05:28 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,535,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
1) In the olden days, you would have called someone close to you who would also be attending said event, and told them, and they would have relayed the information. You actually would not have had to call everyone, especially if you were in labor.

2) You all make it sound like it was difficult to keep in touch with people BEFORE facebook, which is completely ridiculous. You would have called, e-mailed, SENT CHRISTMAS CARDS, sent BIRTHDAY CARDS, etc. You might have chatted at the grocery store. You might have gotten information about extended relatives from your mother or your Great Aunt Hilda. Whatever.

FB has made *some* people more lazy. It has cheapened communication for *many* people. I for one think it is pathetic when my DH's sister posts on FB, "Happy Birthday" or "Merry Christmas" instead of picking up the phone and calling for 5 minutes. Geez, how kind of you to spend 1 second typing in that information instead of taking the effort to spend 5 or 10 minutes TALKING on said Birthday or Christmas.
I don't disagree w/ your sentiment on it. Technology has become massive.
But the post "having contractions" for many women is a mixed bag of feelings; most times extreme nervous excitement. It is a fun thing to post. I would think if one gets feelings of anger towards FB, they should either not be on FB or tell the person. My brother told my mom to text him if she wanted to talk to him. I thought my mom was going to verbally rip his head off when she replied to that comment.
So, I get what you are saying & to an extent, completely agree. But some posts are very lighthearted. Saying "I'm having contractions" is one of them.
As for those who use FB as theraphy sessions or lashouts, I long ago cleaned out my friends list. The over negative, over happy or constantly ripping apart something...don't need to read it.

{I did just get a status update from someone who said that they had no motivation to send out CMas cards this yr, so wishing everyone merry CMas on FB....."} So, definitely, it has done something to how communication use to be. I just read that Apple & FB both think email is the thing of the past & that all commo will be down via text. I still have a flip ph & don't have texting on my plan!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2010, 07:10 PM

1,135 posts, read 2,391,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
Bad guess.

My DH is on FB, so I am quite familiar with many of the postings.

Theoretically, yes FB is a good way of keeping in touch with family and friends, and maybe in your circle, all is well and wonderful.

But I have seen things that should give one pause.

Like my DH's ex-girlfriend, newly divorced, who started befriending his mom, his brothers, his sisters, etc. and posting things like "I miss you so much" and "those were the best years of my life".

BLOCKED from DH's account, but not from his family's.

I know a girl who has had threats made against her which the police took seriously enough.

And, like I stated earlier, in the hands of teenagers, it is a vehicle for bullying and a popularity contest.
Interesting. My brother-in-law posted photos of his girlfriend on facebook while he was still married to (and cheating on) my sister. She's not very computer savvy and didn't have a facebook page so he assumed she'd never see it.

Well, most of her friends and most of our family members have facebook pages. So, other people saw it and let her know what was going on. When she confronted him, he "de-friended" all of their mutal friends and all of our family members.

Needless to say, he's not only an idiot; he's a lowlife, too.

Meanwhile someone told the girlfriend's husband (she was married too at the time) about the facebook posting. He's an attorney so he used the photos of proof of her cheating during the divorce proceedings.

Be carefull about what you post folks. You never know who will see it.

Old 12-18-2010, 07:17 PM

736 posts, read 1,700,642 times
"Extreme nervous excitement" and "lighthearted" sound like exact opposites to me.

Old 12-18-2010, 11:40 PM

852 posts, read 1,368,660 times
Privacy settings or no, I always think of facebook as a public site. Anything I post there can be screen captured and sent anywhere else.

Old 12-19-2010, 05:07 AM

1,279 posts, read 4,784,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3divina View Post
Wouldn't you be more concerned about the baby on the way falling out onto the floor, with the umbilical cord still attached?
Lol- no! There is a big difference between having contractions and pushing a baby out. Some women have some contractions for days or even weeks before they go into active labor (as in, the phase where you cannot talk or walk during a contraction and contractions are generally less than 4 minutes apart). I had 30 hours of active labor- long, but not unheard of.

Old 12-19-2010, 11:03 AM

4,471 posts, read 9,860,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin_ie View Post
Lol- no! There is a big difference between having contractions and pushing a baby out. Some women have some contractions for days or even weeks before they go into active labor (as in, the phase where you cannot talk or walk during a contraction and contractions are generally less than 4 minutes apart). I had 30 hours of active labor- long, but not unheard of.
I really never knew this until I saw the episode of the office where Pam goes into Labor. She doesn't want to go to the hospital yet so everyone is trying to distract her. Then I asked my mom about it. She only had a 4 hour labor however so she went to the hospital fairly quickly.

I guess I can't believe everything I see on TV!

Old 12-19-2010, 11:59 AM

3,842 posts, read 10,535,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3divina View Post
Wouldn't you be more concerned about the baby on the way falling out onto the floor, with the umbilical cord still attached?
Oh, you are right, I forgot, THAT is what happens

It's quite normal during 9 months of pregnancy you share the information you are pregnant and also quite normal that you deliver the baby & contractions are most time the sign the baby is on his/her way.

You are making it sound like posting "I'm having contractions" is top secret information that should be left under lock & key as if it is dangerous or offending to read.

But then again, it's probably the stork that leaves the baby at the doorstep.

Old 12-19-2010, 06:51 PM

736 posts, read 1,700,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteGal View Post
Labor & delivery are nothing like they show on TV, i.e., "I'm having a contraction! Here comes the baby!" LOL
Huh, and most of this is shown on 'reality' TV. How oxymoronic is that.

Old 12-20-2010, 06:43 AM

852 posts, read 1,368,660 times
There are good reasons not to post the "I'm having contractions status" that don't have anything to do with whether or not it's right or wrong to be talking about bodies (and as far as that goes, to each their own). If you've got 400-500 or more friends, you've just announced that you're probably not going to be home for an extended length of time. Can you trust all of those people? I have an acquaintance who is a local activist, and the last three times he's gone on vacation, his house was broken into while he was gone. A saavy police officer finally asked him if he posts on facebook when he's going on vacation. Yep. Every time.

Old 12-20-2010, 11:19 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,308,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucygirl951 View Post
There are good reasons not to post the "I'm having contractions status" that don't have anything to do with whether or not it's right or wrong to be talking about bodies (and as far as that goes, to each their own). If you've got 400-500 or more friends, you've just announced that you're probably not going to be home for an extended length of time. Can you trust all of those people? I have an acquaintance who is a local activist, and the last three times he's gone on vacation, his house was broken into while he was gone. A saavy police officer finally asked him if he posts on facebook when he's going on vacation. Yep. Every time.
If you just skipped over this post, please read it now. lucygirl may just have saved you a lot of grief and heartache.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting