Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 11:56 AM

852 posts, read 1,368,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
If you just skipped over this post, please read it now. lucygirl may just have saved you a lot of grief and heartache.
Thanks, DewDrop!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2010, 01:41 PM

28,163 posts, read 25,409,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
If you just skipped over this post, please read it now. lucygirl may just have saved you a lot of grief and heartache.
LOL Yeah, never know who might just turn cat burglar over night!

Old 12-20-2010, 02:05 PM

1,933 posts, read 3,761,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucygirl951 View Post
There are good reasons not to post the "I'm having contractions status" that don't have anything to do with whether or not it's right or wrong to be talking about bodies (and as far as that goes, to each their own). If you've got 400-500 or more friends, you've just announced that you're probably not going to be home for an extended length of time. Can you trust all of those people? I have an acquaintance who is a local activist, and the last three times he's gone on vacation, his house was broken into while he was gone. A saavy police officer finally asked him if he posts on facebook when he's going on vacation. Yep. Every time.
While I agree that having anything more than a 100 plus friends and annoucing that you are not going to be home for an extended length of time can be a cause of trouble, stating that you are having contractions doesn't really necessarily mean your in hospital. I wrote it down in my FB status. I also did not get robbed.

Why? Because as a person who uses FB I take my privacy settings very seriously. Not everyone sees my status updates, not everyone sees my family pictures, you can not contact me through the usual channel where you put my name through the search box and try to find my profile.

With FB, my feelings are the following:

1) Keep your FB to only family and close friends. If a so called friend is complaining about a status update or you disagree with what your friend does on FB then there is the delete button or you can block their updates.

2) Do not friend request everyone you have come in contact with in your entire life. Seriously do I need to be friends with my nursery school teacher?And do not make friends with your boss or any employees you may work with. Heck I have two emails one for professional use not connected to FB and another for FB. And vice versa.

3) Do not Farmville, City Ville or what ever Ville or Applications...it exposes your information to anyone and everyone. I do not do applications, never have never will.

4) Sexy pictures of yourself are just plain ole nasty and if your profile is open, all you have to do is google your name and POW there goes a picture of you in your skivvies for the whole world to see. I have a cousin who has been out of work for over two years. She couldnt understand why after hundreds of interviews she wasnt offered a job. Well one interviewer knew a friend of hers and told her that she didn't hire her because she found her picture on the internet half naked by a toilet.

5) Do not post your location or any personal information or your childrens names, birthday dates, dogs name and what not. Easy target for identity theft.

People need to use common sense and really what I wrote is always constantly on the news.

But for as I am having contractions, I do not know why its such a BIG DEAL. Really is it that offensive? And if it was so horrible then just call the person and say "Hey you wrote on your FB that your having contractions and I can't understand why you wrote such a PERSONAL thing, I really didn't want it to be the first thing I read."

And if I was the person on the end of the line, I most likely would have hung up and pressed the delete and block button on my FB account.

Life is too short for miserable people who just can't let other people be happy whether your having contractions or not.

Old 12-20-2010, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOriginalMrsX View Post
While I agree that having anything more than a 100 plus friends and annoucing that you are not going to be home for an extended length of time can be a cause of trouble, stating that you are having contractions doesn't really necessarily mean your in hospital. I wrote it down in my FB status. I also did not get robbed.

Why? Because as a person who uses FB I take my privacy settings very seriously. Not everyone sees my status updates, not everyone sees my family pictures, you can not contact me through the usual channel where you put my name through the search box and try to find my profile.

With FB, my feelings are the following:

1) Keep your FB to only family and close friends. If a so called friend is complaining about a status update or you disagree with what your friend does on FB then there is the delete button or you can block their updates.

2) Do not friend request everyone you have come in contact with in your entire life. Seriously do I need to be friends with my nursery school teacher?And do not make friends with your boss or any employees you may work with. Heck I have two emails one for professional use not connected to FB and another for FB. And vice versa.

3) Do not Farmville, City Ville or what ever Ville or Applications...it exposes your information to anyone and everyone. I do not do applications, never have never will.

4) Sexy pictures of yourself are just plain ole nasty and if your profile is open, all you have to do is google your name and POW there goes a picture of you in your skivvies for the whole world to see. I have a cousin who has been out of work for over two years. She couldnt understand why after hundreds of interviews she wasnt offered a job. Well one interviewer knew a friend of hers and told her that she didn't hire her because she found her picture on the internet half naked by a toilet.

5) Do not post your location or any personal information or your childrens names, birthday dates, dogs name and what not. Easy target for identity theft.

People need to use common sense and really what I wrote is always constantly on the news.

But for as I am having contractions, I do not know why its such a BIG DEAL. Really is it that offensive? And if it was so horrible then just call the person and say "Hey you wrote on your FB that your having contractions and I can't understand why you wrote such a PERSONAL thing, I really didn't want it to be the first thing I read."

And if I was the person on the end of the line, I most likely would have hung up and pressed the delete and block button on my FB account.

Life is too short for miserable people who just can't let other people be happy whether your having contractions or not.
I have 400+ "friends" and I take my privacy settings seriously too. Because of my involvement with a local non-profit, I have friends who aren't really "friends," and I manage them through friends lists and customized privacy settings. However, not everyone knows how to use those features, and some people are just dumb about how much they reveal, like my acquaintance who got himself robbed three times because he likes to brag to his 1000+ facebook friends about his travels.

Also, I block people from tagging me with the places feature. I don't need other people's friends knowing where I am at any moment.

I don't think talking about contractions or being in labor on facebook is the least bit offensive. A friend of mine just had her baby two weeks ago, and we were all following the action on her facebook page. I wouldn't do it just because I don't do that, but I have no judgment about others who do. None whatsoever. Just because I wouldn't do something doesn't mean it's wrong. My friend took a lot of criticism for her labor updates, and honestly, I don't know why people would be so uptight about it.

I was just offering a heads up bit of safety advice for those who might need it.

Old 12-20-2010, 03:19 PM

736 posts, read 1,701,001 times
There are parents who post naked pictures of their babies and toddlers...just the other day one of my facebook friends did that. This "friend" is actually my boyfriend's brother-in-law's sister, whom I have not yet met. She wrote about how all her two-year-old wanted to wear that day was boots and his birthday suit. She took a picture and put it up on facebook, I don't find it offensive, nor do I judge her, but from an objective point of view that's not a very good idea...

I'm not telling her "you might want to take that down..." because it's not my place to do so.

Old 12-20-2010, 03:27 PM

5,258 posts, read 9,166,719 times
One of the reasons I'm not on FB is because of the pointless status updates a lot of people seem to make.

Old 12-20-2010, 04:15 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,536,181 times
Quote:
I have 400+ "friends" and I take my privacy settings seriously too. Because of my involvement with a local non-profit, I have friends who aren't really "friends," and I manage them through friends lists and customized privacy settings. However, not everyone knows how to use those features, and some people are just dumb about how much they reveal, like my acquaintance who got himself robbed three times because he likes to brag to his 1000+ facebook friends about his travels.

Also, I block people from tagging me with the places feature. I don't need other people's friends knowing where I am at any moment.

I don't think talking about contractions or being in labor on facebook is the least bit offensive. A friend of mine just had her baby two weeks ago, and we were all following the action on her facebook page. I wouldn't do it just because I don't do that, but I have no judgment about others who do. None whatsoever. Just because I wouldn't do something doesn't mean it's wrong. My friend took a lot of criticism for her labor updates, and honestly, I don't know why people would be so uptight about it.

I was just offering a heads up bit of safety advice for those who might need it.
Like everything else in nature-moderation & common sense goes a long way. I don't have 400 friends nor do I work/belong to things that force me to have "friends" who are no where near being a friend. I cleaned out my FB acct a few mnths ago & strictly have on there people I talk to or are in my family.
I was pregnant this past summer when a handful of my friends were also. We had a lot of fun posting things back & forth. Never once did I read anyone taking offense to such posts as " I need name help" or "6 weeks left". So seeing "I bet this baby will be here by tommorow" or "i'm having contractions" is so minut it is funny.

The privacy settings on FB are fairly decent. But like email or credit cards or ANYTHING online, no matter how "private" & "secure" one tries to be...if the bad guy wants the info, he'll get it. But I don't keep the front door unlocked for him, so I don't have my email on there, my phone number, names of kids, where my child goes to school. I've seen FB pages where physical addresses are posted & to allow access to the new thing where you can tell FB where you are that moment..that is very unsafe.

Playing the games & signing up for certain things on FB is probably the #1 biggest security issue. I won't play Farmville for the sheer fact of how much I couldn't stand getting "Sarah needs you to buy a pig so she can finish her farm" until I learned how to block those things.

One can go under privacy features & block certain friends from their updates & pics.

Last edited by 121804; 12-20-2010 at 04:41 PM..

Old 12-20-2010, 05:08 PM

9,549 posts, read 7,117,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOriginalMrsX View Post
But for as I am having contractions, I do not know why its such a BIG DEAL.

Mrs. X: Many good points in your post. However, I believe the argument has gone beyond the original question about contractions specifically.

Old 12-20-2010, 05:26 PM

6 posts, read 7,288 times
Quote:

I run my own computer business and I have about 2000 fb friends. I use lists and privacy settings too. Not hard if you know what you're doing but like you said a lot of people don't know. Nothing is foolproof.

Old 12-20-2010, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
Like everything else in nature-moderation & common sense goes a long way. I don't have 400 friends nor do I work/belong to things that force me to have "friends" who are no where near being a friend. I cleaned out my FB acct a few mnths ago & strictly have on there people I talk to or are in my family.
I was pregnant this past summer when a handful of my friends were also. We had a lot of fun posting things back & forth. Never once did I read anyone taking offense to such posts as " I need name help" or "6 weeks left". So seeing "I bet this baby will be here by tommorow" or "i'm having contractions" is so minut it is funny.

The privacy settings on FB are fairly decent. But like email or credit cards or ANYTHING online, no matter how "private" & "secure" one tries to be...if the bad guy wants the info, he'll get it. But I don't keep the front door unlocked for him, so I don't have my email on there, my phone number, names of kids, where my child goes to school. I've seen FB pages where physical addresses are posted & to allow access to the new thing where you can tell FB where you are that moment..that is very unsafe.

Playing the games & signing up for certain things on FB is probably the #1 biggest security issue. I won't play Farmville for the sheer fact of how much I couldn't stand getting "Sarah needs you to buy a pig so she can finish her farm" until I learned how to block those things.

One can go under privacy features & block certain friends from their updates & pics.

My non-profit doesn't require me to have a facebook account. I just prefer it as an easy way to keep in touch with people, organize volunteers, that kind of thing. I thought about using two separate accounts, but I just find it easier to create groups. My non-profit friends can message me through facebook and see my basic info, but they can't see my pictures (except the non-profit related ones) and status updates and they can't post on my wall. I've customized every single setting. There are only about 50 people who have full access to my page. But you're right. Privacy settings are never completely secure.

I hide all the farmville and mafia wars stuff too. lol. I also hide the updates of everyone except my good friends and family. It cuts down on the clutter.

One of the things I like about facebook is that I can check in during the day with most of my people. Another friend underwent surgery today, and he was able to let everyone know how it went with one post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting