Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2022, 07:48 PM

13 posts, read 15,476 times

Advertisements

I have a middle schooler and they were supposed to be showering after football practice before going to second period but the showers are broken. My son is very glad. Surprisingly he doesn’t stink after school. Most kids being axe spray and deodorant to put on after practice.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2022, 08:26 AM

3,048 posts, read 1,150,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Txdac16 View Post
I have a middle schooler and they were supposed to be showering after football practice before going to second period but the showers are broken. My son is very glad. Surprisingly he doesn’t stink after school. Most kids being axe spray and deodorant to put on after practice.
Oh my, does that bring back memories of the potent miasma that infiltrated every square inch of my kids' middle school. What is it with middle school boys and Axe body spray?

Old 10-05-2022, 09:10 AM

554 posts, read 1,065,769 times
I never showered in school in the 70's. Just did not feel comfortable getting naked with a bunch of other guys. Even after joining the military I was not comfortable getting naked with a bunch of guys to shower, but sometimes you had to.

Old 10-05-2022, 09:37 AM

16,306 posts, read 8,126,207 times
I havent read this whole thread but I see no need for showers in elementary or middle school. My high school had a pretty big athletic program and there were showers but I dont recall anyone using them. I think it seems like a waste or resources. Kids probably waste water, leave showers running, etc. Shower at home and save everyone some trouble on many levels.

Old 10-05-2022, 03:50 PM

3,048 posts, read 1,150,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I havent read this whole thread but I see no need for showers in elementary or middle school. My high school had a pretty big athletic program and there were showers but I dont recall anyone using them. I think it seems like a waste or resources. Kids probably waste water, leave showers running, etc. Shower at home and save everyone some trouble on many levels.
The showers at our high school are used by athletes who have practice in the morning before the school day. They are not like the open showers in the locker rooms of my youth. Each shower has a separate bay to allow for privacy.

Old 10-05-2022, 04:30 PM

13 posts, read 15,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1065 View Post
Oh my, does that bring back memories of the potent miasma that infiltrated every square inch of my kids' middle school. What is it with middle school boys and Axe body spray?
Haha right. One of my friends is a teacher at the school and she says the boys smell like they bathed in it when they walk into second period. Lol

Old 10-06-2022, 07:06 PM

42 posts, read 19,435 times
After PE in middle school in the sixties, we were required to shower. We learned the trick of sprinkling a few drops of water on our shoulders to make it look like we'd just showered and hadn't dried off thoroughly.

Old 10-06-2022, 10:34 PM

16,214 posts, read 11,325,556 times
I think a lot depends on how the issues of exposure and "communal bathing" are handled by administrators.

I was introduced to this issue upon entering Junior High school at the age of twelve, in 1961. My school district had a long tradition of excellence in sports, but little attention was paid to those of us who, for physical reasons, didn't fit in, and with a noticeable spinal deformity, a "late bloom" with regard to physical/sexual maturity, and being one of a small minority of boys who had not been circumcised in infancy, I definitely did not fit in, and endured more than my share of bullying from the "gangster element" that seems to surface in every middle or junior high school at that age.

The school facilities didn't help; as was common practice in many districts, the former senior high school became a hand-me-down when a new facility was dedicated, just two years before. We had wooden benches, lockers which didn't lock, and the showers ("chain-pull" variety which didn't warm up quickly or stay on) were separated from the dressing area by a cinder block wall, and cracks in the floor patched with paving material, IIRC. There is something about this situation that encourages the "thug mentality", and you had to avoid stepping in puddles of urine left as a gesture of contempt by the aforementioned thugs.

But all this changed when I advanced to senior high; The showers there were modern, and by that time there are usually a few sensitive individuals who reach out to, and bond with the misfits; and once I'd "caught up" with the others physically, recognition that we're all a little different, but with the same "equipment" took root -- what some writers call "locker room camaraderie". I had no problem with this -- welcomed it, in fact -- since the only alternative on my family's farm was a tub under a window.

And as for the thugs, quite a few of them got their "post-secondary education" via the University of Vietnam, and a suprising number, whether drafted or not, came to an early, and bad end.

What goes on in locker rooms used by adolescents is common to every advanced society -- and isn't likely to change anytime soon.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 10-06-2022 at 11:03 PM..

Old 10-07-2022, 04:37 AM

383 posts, read 180,869 times
Never. Well, I think those who played for the football team (possibly other sports) had the option to
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting