Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 10:33 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,946,717 times

Advertisements

I read this article today:

Students taking showers: Shower stalls stay dry at most public schools - South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com

Nobody used the showers in my high school and that was in the late 70's. Our gym teachers would make a big deal out of the "rules" at the beginning of each year, but never followed up to make sure anyone actually got wet. My kids never showered after gym, although they would sometimes use the showers in the field house after football. Usually they would just come right home to clean up.

Should schools even bother building these facilities anymore?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2011, 10:52 PM

970 posts, read 2,212,951 times
No one at my high school showered, ever. This was in '99-03. How many 14-18 year olds are willing to strip off their clothes in front of 40 peers (there were multiple PE classes at a time)?

At my college people showered after my swimming class, but only 3 people (including me) would actually strip down. Everyone else wore bathing suits.

Old 01-02-2011, 11:12 PM

2,059 posts, read 5,747,638 times
We had no choice, if you didn't have a note from your parents you were showering, or you got detention (89-04). Having said that, a lot of us got good at forging our parent's handwriting...

Old 01-02-2011, 11:15 PM

37,131 posts, read 42,200,354 times
Nope. I didn't the 70's either. My kids say very few kids did, and usually wore swim wear, not naked. The sports teams often did, but it was their choice. It wasn't done regularly during PE by everyone.

Old 01-02-2011, 11:27 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,025,167 times
In 7th grade, the gym teacher would stand at the shower entrance and watch us all go in naked. It was freaky weird. From 8th grade on, we wore bathing suits when taking showers.

My chidlren weren't forced to take showers. I think the children should be forced, specially sports teams, especially considering MRSA (methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus). To get away from the freaky weirdness of gym teachers watching, schools could require students to wear bathing suits for showers. But the next challenge would be getting the kids to take the wet bathing suits home to dry.

Should they stop building shower facilities? Hell no. When we have a natural disaster in our area, the school shower facilities are used by the general population. The schools are the only places to get showers for months. And many people who are homeless from natural disasters live at the schools.

For health reasons alone, the schools should always have shower facilities, whether students use them or not, because showers should be available to students who want to shower.

Old 01-02-2011, 11:34 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,647,809 times
Never did when I went. But I only had one year of P.E. to bore me.

Old 01-03-2011, 03:24 AM

4,264 posts, read 9,277,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
In 7th grade, the gym teacher would stand at the shower entrance and watch us all go in naked. It was freaky weird. From 8th grade on, we wore bathing suits when taking showers.

My chidlren weren't forced to take showers. I think the children should be forced, specially sports teams, especially considering MRSA (methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus). To get away from the freaky weirdness of gym teachers watching, schools could require students to wear bathing suits for showers. But the next challenge would be getting the kids to take the wet bathing suits home to dry.

Should they stop building shower facilities? Hell no. When we have a natural disaster in our area, the school shower facilities are used by the general population. The schools are the only places to get showers for months. And many people who are homeless from natural disasters live at the schools.

For health reasons alone, the schools should always have shower facilities, whether students use them or not, because showers should be available to students who want to shower.

You really think the sports teams should be forced to take showers at school because of MRSA? If I recall correctly when MRSA made the news they were saying that showers like those at schools were places to be very careful of, for that reason I would prefer my kids shower at home.

To answer the OP, my son who plays football would shower occasionally but showers were not available for PE only, there just wasn't enough time.

Old 01-03-2011, 05:12 AM

4,502 posts, read 13,468,489 times
No. As a matter of fact, I called the gym teacher at the beginning of this school year because there was word that from 7th grade on up, you had to shower after gym. I told the gym teacher I did not want my DD showering at the school ---- honestly, how sweaty can a 12 year old get from a 40 minute gym class?!?! If you're showering at home, you don't need to shower after gym class and, in this day and age of camera/video phones? My child will NOT be showering in a public place. In addition, I don't want my child exposed to MRSA, athletes foot, or anything else from a public shower.

The teacher told me they haven't been making them shower for years and she agreed with my take on it.

Old 01-03-2011, 05:35 AM

2,059 posts, read 5,747,638 times
Obviously school funding in the current economy doesn't allow for it but perhaps it's time to build more private facilities.

Old 01-03-2011, 07:31 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,902,950 times
My son never used the shower after his weightlifting class, but sometimes if he has somewhere to go after football practice he showers at school. He prefers to shower at home and if he has time he comes home to shower.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting