Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 03:26 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,917,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
That would have been great for me...I was a kid who hated PE. H.A.T.E.D. it. I wasn't obese either (scrawny actually....) just uncoordinated. I always hated PE. Once I got to "jr. high" we had to wear horrid white, one piece gym-suits (and yes, the teachers stood there at the entrance to the showers which consisted of a bunch of shower heads and no curtains and determined whether we had showered adequately before they handed us a towel)....and play team sports. I would have rather done just about anything than PE (but it was required every semester in CA in the 70s). In high school it improved because we could wear shorts and a t-shirt and sign up for things like raquetball and archery or dance. I would have probably done DDR or something...
My 6 year old told me they've been doing Just Dance (the Wii game where you're copying the guy on the screen's dance moves- it's one heck of a workout actually!) in her gym class. I have no problem with that! It's much better than what my 13 year old's gym class consists of (well, according to her)- 50 kids in the gym, and two teachers who set the balls out and tell the kids to go after them. So much for exercising in gym class..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2011, 03:29 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,462,628 times
Yes...we do Just Dance at home with our Wii - it can be a good workout! I'm still uncoordinated but at least it's fun!

Old 01-17-2011, 03:51 PM

497 posts, read 1,694,134 times
We never used the showers in middle or high school because they were just down right disgusting and in poor condition. If you think Just Dance is a good workout, you should try the Michael Jackson Experience game on the wii! Now Beat it, Thriller, etc are all work outs! Lol!

Old 01-17-2011, 06:22 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,945,990 times
What a different world we live in.

When I first started in the 7th Grade - Junior High School - this was way back in ancient times before "Middle School" - Phys Ed was required and you were required to take a shower!

I learned very quickly to lose my modesty. All boys had to strip naked and shower together. Period.

Today when I go to the gym I have no problem getting undressed in the locker room or taking a shower.

Old 03-29-2011, 01:08 PM

1 posts, read 2,119 times
i wouldent to to go nude infront of 40 kids i mean comeon what if you get happy ?

Old 03-29-2011, 02:06 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,234,312 times
The primary / elementary kids do not shower.
The high schooler does. (I assume she actually takes the shower. I have to confess it never entered my mind to ask)

I guess I will wonder down to the school and check up to make sure that the school is keeping the little darlings nice and clean.

Old 04-05-2011, 04:33 PM

79 posts, read 129,759 times
I'm a high school senior right now and when I had Phy-Ed in 10th grade nobody showered. The teachers said it was optional but there simply wasn't enough time even if you wanted to shower.

Old 04-05-2011, 06:47 PM

1,695 posts, read 4,676,402 times
my dd is only in middle school so not to that point yet

i never showered in HS. and they were private showers with curtains- not like a communal one or anything.

i think usually the main ones who do are the ones on sports teams maybe.

Old 04-05-2011, 07:29 PM

45,411 posts, read 60,592,880 times
It was a requirement for a grade when I was in high school. Gym twice a week for all 6 years (7-12). Our teachers made sure we broke a good sweat during class (single sex classes), they considered themselves unsuccessful otherwise. I got called out of the following class one time since I'd skipped a shower after class that day. Had to go take one.

Like someone else, a number of the kids still had no indoor plumbing in the late 60s early 70s.

Old 04-08-2011, 08:17 PM

18,473 posts, read 31,643,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown81076 View Post
i wouldent to to go nude infront of 40 kids i mean comeon what if you get happy ?

LOL, trust me in front of 40 kids, no one is happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting