Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2013, 05:23 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,418,279 times

Advertisements

We have air hockey. It got used a lot....at first....now it just collects dust. Hubs insisted on getting one..now all he does is complain about how much space it takes up They are heavy as heck too. Get a ping-pong table.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2021, 04:08 AM

1 posts, read 535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
We have air hockey and a ping pong table in the basement. The air hockey was/is rarely used. Ping pong continues to be played by the entire family. BTW--we didn't purchase either one totally. Our kids contributed their hard earned cash for both purchases.

The ping pong table folds up and is on wheels making it easy to move in and out of the storage area and outside for summer fun.
Ping pong really is a family sport, the best way to spend some quality time with the kids for me. Especially when it's rainy outside, and you still feel like being active with. Do you know the brand of your table?

Old 10-20-2021, 07:33 AM

19,128 posts, read 27,743,434 times
Ping pong hands down. It is very active game, requiring - and developing - great reflexes, eye to hand coordination and strategy. We had table on the 2nd floor landing, literally 1 meter away from walls and yet, it was great bonding with sons.

Old 10-20-2021, 08:36 AM

2,217 posts, read 2,176,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter01 View Post
Just curious what you all would recommend for a basement/ rec room? We have 3 boys--all currently under 10. I would like to find something for them to play with in the basement that might be entertaining for them and friends for years to come. I am not really a fan of pool tables. If you have a game room or basement what do think will give us the most entertainment life-- fooz ball table, ping pong table, air hockey or am I missing something? X Box and electronics are not being considered.

I would love to hear what your kids like!
We have a multi use table that is foosball, air hockey and pool. Our teen sons and his friends use it all the time. Foosball is huge in our house and it is most often in that configuration. Me and my wife prefer air hockey and use that often as well. Its really a terrible pool table, and almost never used for that.

Old 10-20-2021, 12:08 PM

6,477 posts, read 7,827,325 times
I perfer ping pong but would have guessed that air hockey would be more favored by the kids. But looks like many who have experience with this are saying ping pong, go for that and be prepared for lots of smack talk.

Best of luck.

Old 10-20-2021, 08:33 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,397,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisTucker79 View Post
Ping pong really is a family sport, the best way to spend some quality time with the kids for me. Especially when it's rainy outside, and you still feel like being active with. Do you know the brand of your table?
I just looked. It says Butterfly Outdoor Playback Rollaway. It's green. Even though this post was originally posted 7/8 years ago, we still have the ping pong table. The kids are grown and out on their own for the past 6 years or so. It still gets used when they visit or the one that lives a plane ride away comes to stay for a week or so. The now spouse and the serious girlfriend have enjoyed it as well.

I laughed when I saw someone mention using it as an extra dinner table. Last summer we had an outdoor party for my parents' anniversary. We ended up folding the ping pong table in 1/2, putting it against a wall and using it to put food on since all the other tables were for dining.

Good investment for years of fun.

Old 10-20-2021, 08:45 PM

19,608 posts, read 9,598,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
I perfer ping pong but would have guessed that air hockey would be more favored by the kids. But looks like many who have experience with this are saying ping pong, go for that and be prepared for lots of smack talk.

Best of luck.
Yes, and that also depends on what you have to protect in the basement. I've seen/heard how some of those pucks go flying in the air. The ping pong balls won't hurt as much but can depending on who's playing.

Old 10-20-2021, 08:47 PM

19,608 posts, read 9,598,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.strangelove View Post
We have a multi use table that is foosball, air hockey and pool. Our teen sons and his friends use it all the time. Foosball is huge in our house and it is most often in that configuration. Me and my wife prefer air hockey and use that often as well. Its really a terrible pool table, and almost never used for that.
Oh, I also saw in Costco this past week, arcade gaming machine.

Old 10-21-2021, 08:07 AM

15,835 posts, read 20,626,008 times
I have all three, with an 8 and 9 year old boy. (and a 3 year old but he's too young to really play it)

Ping pong results in the ball getting lost and ultimately a loss of interest as they aren't really good enough to keep it going more than 1-2 cycles. This table mostly gathers dust so we will likely be giving it away soon.

Foosball gets used more, but one of the boys has trouble coordinating the handles, so he ultimately gets frustrated and leaves. I play with my older son frequently. I can see them all growing into this one as they get older.

Air Hockey gets used by everyone all the time. Some smashed fingers now and then, but overall even the 3 year old is able to partake. If i had to keep one, it would be this one

We also have one of those arcade style basketball games with two hoops side by side. This one also gets used quite a bit. Whenever there are parties and such, we are playing this one the most. Even the adults play. I played basketball in HS, so i sometimes find myself playing it alone.

Old 10-21-2021, 01:49 PM

2,217 posts, read 2,176,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat1116 View Post
Oh, I also saw in Costco this past week, arcade gaming machine.
Yeah, lots of places have them. We got ours in Sears a few years back, but it is a lot of fun. The arcade machines are cool too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting