Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2013, 01:45 PM

546 posts, read 1,817,843 times

Advertisements

Just curious what you all would recommend for a basement/ rec room? We have 3 boys--all currently under 10. I would like to find something for them to play with in the basement that might be entertaining for them and friends for years to come. I am not really a fan of pool tables. If you have a game room or basement what do think will give us the most entertainment life-- fooz ball table, ping pong table, air hockey or am I missing something? X Box and electronics are not being considered.

I would love to hear what your kids like!
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2013, 01:58 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,334,693 times
We have air hockey and a ping pong table in the basement. The air hockey was/is rarely used. Ping pong continues to be played by the entire family. BTW--we didn't purchase either one totally. Our kids contributed their hard earned cash for both purchases.

The ping pong table folds up and is on wheels making it easy to move in and out of the storage area and outside for summer fun.

Old 11-20-2013, 02:12 PM

546 posts, read 1,817,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
We have air hockey and a ping pong table in the basement. The air hockey was/is rarely used. Ping pong continues to be played by the entire family. BTW--we didn't purchase either one totally. Our kids contributed their hard earned cash for both purchases.

The ping pong table folds up and is on wheels making it easy to move in and out of the storage area and outside for summer fun.

I'm leaning toward ping pong too. It would be really fun to bring it outside in the summer. Good point. My husband wants a fooz ball table but I think that is mostly because he wants to relive his college beer drinking days.

Old 11-20-2013, 02:21 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,939,932 times
The only thing my boys agreed upon was wanting a ping pong table in the basement. They are away at school, but seem to gravitate towards it on trips home.

Old 11-20-2013, 02:31 PM

22,566 posts, read 47,614,734 times
Foosball tables were rarely used among my kids' friends.
Air hockey and ping pong were equally favored, even over pool tables.

Old 11-20-2013, 03:58 PM

3,086 posts, read 7,611,753 times
If I had room and the money, I'd go for one of the basketball games that has two 'lanes' side by side with electronic score keeping. They can play it alone or with friends and since it's electronic you don't have arguments about who wins. :-)

Personally, I love air hockey, but that's because I am pretty good at it. haha Finding opponents gets hard for me after a while...so it wouldn't get used all that often.

Ping pong can be great as long as you actually have the room to play it as actively as you want. (side note, you can also use the table for other things when it's not being played on...folding laundry, sorting papers, as a drink or snack station for a dinner or even seating for the teens at a large dinner)

Foosball seems to be less popular these days. We had a small scale one and it isn't near as fun to play with just 2 people.

Old 11-20-2013, 05:20 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,766,126 times
I would've loved ping pong in the basement when I was a kid. Our basement was just a "cellar" though - unfinished foundation cement with the sub-floor of the second floor over it and exposed beams with nails sticking out of them and what not. Our family room wasn't big enough to share between a table and the TV and our living room was a formal living room - silk couch and a baby-grand piano etc. etc. so definitely no gaming in there.

We had board games, and outdoor activities.

Ping pong would've been awesome though.

Old 11-20-2013, 05:28 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,556,847 times
You can get full-sized pool tables that come with full-sized ping pong tops, that would be my choice.

Old 11-21-2013, 02:18 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,244,561 times
I'd go for the ping pong table, me and my brother were always playing it when we had one in the church hall. The pool table with the ping pong top sounds even better though - I want that if I get a house with a decent basement!

Old 11-21-2013, 08:13 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,774,520 times
We've had lots of different things at different times, but the ping-pong tables get the most use.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting