Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2019, 07:58 PM

9,444 posts, read 6,613,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingvanmorrison View Post
I don't know but I won't go out with people who have kids and I don't want people with kids coming to my house.
People without kids are smarter than people with kids so they don't like us.
And people with kids hate the fact that us childless folks have more peace of mind and freedom than they do.

Smarter? I think not. For example even though I have kids, I know "us childless folks have" is improper grammar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2019, 10:42 PM

2,083 posts, read 1,095,215 times
Quote:
I don't know but I won't go out with people who have kids and I don't want people with kids coming to my house.
And people with kids hate the fact that us childless folks have more peace of mind and freedom than they do.
I don’t have kids either and even I don’t believe this. There’s many smart people with kids and without, just as there are people with kids that are total idiots and people without kids that are really dumb.

Perhaps more peace of mind and freedom is true but I don’t think we are hated . We can plan stuff more easily as others have mentioned but I think everyone is different but can still enjoy other’s company. I have friends that are childless and some who have kids. It’s nice to get together with everyone.

Old 09-09-2019, 10:52 PM

1,644 posts, read 1,671,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wac_432 View Post
I would not be friends with a child free person who had a chip on their shoulder about it.

We are friends with a millennial who doesn't have kids. There are plenty of things we don't invite him to because he's not a parent. We remain friends, and his attitude about not being invited to stuff is on him.

We are certainly more wrapped up in raising our children and staying sane while facing all the challenges of parenting than we are worried about the fragility of our adult child-free friend's feelings.
Are you sure he's the one with the chip on his shoulder?

Old 09-10-2019, 05:48 AM

5,821 posts, read 3,905,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wac_432 View Post
I would not be friends with a child free person who had a chip on their shoulder about it.

We are friends with a millennial who doesn't have kids. There are plenty of things we don't invite him to because he's not a parent. We remain friends, and his attitude about not being invited to stuff is on him.

We are certainly more wrapped up in raising our children and staying sane while facing all the challenges of parenting than we are worried about the fragility of our adult child-free friend's feelings.
Don't twist your arm patting yourself on the back. And don't get vertigo from sitting on that high horse. Parenting isn't easy, but it isn't anything special, either. Humans have been doing it for the past 2 million years. It's only in the past 20 to 30 years that parents started seeing making babies as a license to view non-parents as less than human, and therefore unworthy of respect and consideration. Which is what you're doing right here.

When you read "Sneetches" by Dr. Seuss to your kids, think about its message for yourself as well.

Last edited by MillennialUrbanist; 09-10-2019 at 06:13 AM..

Old 09-10-2019, 07:07 AM

21,380 posts, read 7,999,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
Don't twist your arm patting yourself on the back. And don't get vertigo from sitting on that high horse. Parenting isn't easy, but it isn't anything special, either. Humans have been doing it for the past 2 million years. It's only in the past 20 to 30 years that parents started seeing making babies as a license to view non-parents as less than human, and therefore unworthy of respect and consideration. Which is what you're doing right here.

When you read "Sneetches" by Dr. Seuss to your kids, think about its message for yourself as well.
Tell your mom and dad that. Parenting is THE most important thing in the world.

It sets up society to be good or bad. When parenting is neglected, we all feel the impacts.

Old 09-10-2019, 07:26 AM

669 posts, read 323,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post

It sets up society to be good or bad. When parenting is neglected, we all feel the impacts.
But parenting in the name of love and 'concern' can also lead to negative impacts that we're seeing today with the lack of resilience in youth from being handheld by overprotective and lawnmower parents.

Old 09-10-2019, 07:48 AM

5,821 posts, read 3,905,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post

I was talking more about producing kids, rather than raising them, and the snootiness for having done the former. Hence, the high horse.

Old 09-10-2019, 08:40 AM

3,171 posts, read 2,732,497 times
Quote:
I hate Dr. Seuss. Hated it as a kid, and refuse to even pick up thrift store copies of that garbage. Ugly drawings, lazy writing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
Oh, dear lord, another one! Nice straw man. Quote where I said parenting was special or child-free people were subhuman. That's you. That's all in your head. I don't understand why any child-free person has a chip on their shoulder about extra money, time, and fewer responsibilities, that they have the need to come to a parenting forum and whine about how unfair life is, but here you all are.

I gave good advice. Here it is if you tldr'd; Hell is not going to freeze over for you, snowflake. Find new friends if you don't like how your old ones are acting.

Neither parents nor society at large gives a good goddamn about the OP's life choices. They're not part of some special cadre of persecuted, downtrodden victims. They are DINKS or SINKS: Double/Single Income, No Kids. They should enjoy the freedom from responsibility and and the extra wealth provided by their choice.

Coming to a parenting forum and whinging about how their friends, who are now parents, don't have time to brew Kombucha or hot yoga with them is, suprise, not going to garner them much sympathy. We're all giving you child-free the same news flash parents would give any of our sulking brats:

The world doesn't revolve around you.

Old 09-10-2019, 10:11 AM

13,261 posts, read 8,085,554 times
Funny...I was just thinking...my 3 current best friends are childless. 2 women, 1 man. All three, they never had children. All 3 of them are 40+ yrs old.

Old 09-10-2019, 10:11 AM

1,607 posts, read 1,143,226 times
Quote:
I can't even... just wow. In no way is that accurate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting