Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2023, 09:45 AM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,335,726 times

Advertisements

You just woke a two and a half year old thread by a user that hasn't been here for over two years. Just an FYI for others that want to give Jessica advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhausted_stepdad View Post
Hey Jessica,
My partner and I are dealing with the EXACT SAME problem!!!

8 year old boy. Pees almost every night. Either won’t take the pull-ups off in the AM or will drop them on the floor super-saturated. 75% of the time his sheets are soaked too. We use pee pads and liners, etc. but the bed still needs to be stripped. If I don’t ask him or check myself, he won’t tell us that the bed is soaked.
I am not the child’s biological father and have only been on the scene for 2 years, so I have to be very careful with what I say. Lately, I am finding it more and more difficult to bite my tongue on this issue.
The child is smart. He knows better. He just doesn’t care. He also struggles wiping his butt and will happily go about his day smelling like crap.
His mom doesn’t want to hurt his feelings about this, but 8 years old is TOO old to not start taking care of one’s personal hygiene.

We were recently on a month long trip out of province and we had to borrow a washing machine from the owners of the cabin we were staying at. Almost every single day I had to ask to use the machine. I would find the child sitting in front of the TV/Laptop/switch device still wearing his soaked pull-up. I’d kindly ask him to put it in the trash. Then ask if his sheets were wet. “Yeah… they are wet…” .

Over and over, I’d say “listen buddy, I know you can’t help peeing, but you’re 8 years old and you have to start taking some responsibility for yourself. You know that pull-ups are ONLY for sleeping in case you pee, so as SOON as you wake up, they need to be put in the garbage. They damage the floor, mattress, or cushions when the pee leaks out. Also, I don’t know if your bed is wet if you don’t tell me. I want to help you, but you have to meet me half way…”
Next morning same deal.
Cabin owner told my son “if you don’t wet the bed, your dad owes you $0.25”
That worked for two nights. But then he continued with his nightly bed wetting.

Like Jessica stated, I believe that he sometimes will pee in the pull-up because he knows it is “allowed”. After all, that is what the pull-up is designed for. We know it still is an unconscious occurrence too because he’ll pee if he falls asleep in the car on a drive, or on a friends couch after a day of playing.

I must admit, one of the last days of the month-long trip I sharply said, “this is becoming a serious concern. I know you can’t help the bed wetting, but you have absolute 100% control what you do once you are awake. You continue to drop your pee soaked pull-up on the floor and leave a soaked bed for me to find when I’m tucking you in at night. I know you know better and I should NOT have to tell you this Every. Single. Day. I am so tired of this. I don’t know what else I can possibly say to you to get you to comply with this extremely simple request. It is unhygienic, it is damaging to not only our belongings, but the property of the man who owns this cabin, it is exhausting to have to remind you (sometimes multiple times in the same day because you simply do not care), and I know you are capable of doing things that are significantly more complicated.
Do you understand? “Yes”
So why are you not doing it? “I will”

“Here’s the thing, -Childs name-
I have asked you almost every morning for nearly two years now that as soon as you wake up, you put your wet pull up in the garbage and let me know if your sheets are wet, and you still aren’t doing it which is extremely concerning to me. Do you understand that?

“Yes”

So, I think that if this pattern of you lounging around in a soaked pull-up, or leaving it soiled on the floor for someone to find, or not notifying me that your sheets are wet and need to be washed continues, we will have no choice but to take you to a doctor to be evaluated. Again, not because you pee at night, that isn’t the problem. The problem is what occurs after you wake up. It is NOT OK and it needs to stop. Do you understand?
“Yes”

And here we are still making empty threats and fighting amongst ourselves because I want to see some change and my partner thinks we should just be supportive and one day he’ll grow out of it. Maybe if she had to clean up after him every morning she would be as annoyed as I am. Lol.
This morning I suggested that we take away the things he likes to do first thing in the morning and he doesn’t get them back until he has shown us that his pull-up is in the garbage and his wet sheets are down in the laundry room. I think it is fair. But then again, he isn’t my biological child and I don’t get to make the rules.

Being their primary care taker while my partner is away for work, I’m tired of putting my foot down just to have it pried back up and being scolded for being so strict.

I personally believe that coddling a misbehaving child doesn’t yield results, it enables the child to do it again because there’s no real reason for them to stop. There are no consequences for their actions- only a pair of open, welcoming arms and a soft voice saying “it’s OK baby, don’t worry, try to remember tomorrow”.

I’m tired of cleaning up after them. I fear it will ruin the relationship she and I have if I don’t see some positive changes soon.

Best of luck everyone.

Jessica- do you have an update?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2023, 10:15 AM

6,873 posts, read 4,873,766 times
Why are you staying home with the kid? Why not get a job and let his mother deal with it? I think it's great that you are willing to help with the kid, but the mother needs to face up to the kid getting evaluated.

Let's say you didn't clean up the sheets. Would he be okay with getting in a wet bed to sleep? I'm not saying to do that, just wondering if he'd be okay with it. It sounds as if something is not quite right upstairs. Does he go to school and is all fine there?

Old 08-02-2023, 12:10 PM

4,386 posts, read 4,239,114 times
I know a guy who wet the bed until his teens because he was such a sound sleeper. He told me he stopped after his mother took him to the doctor. Apparently it took a man reaching DEEP inside him to touch a place that made him stop overnight. I hope you get the picture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting