Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2021, 10:01 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,421,898 times

Advertisements

Zoos. Aquariums. Mini golf. One of those places where you can paint a plastercraft/ceramic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2021, 09:46 AM

1,346 posts, read 877,363 times
thanks guys
I think Ive done all except mini golf and kaleidoscope
right now we taking a lot of hikes where he brings all his animal toys and we create different ecosystems as go along [guess who carries the big bagpack full of toys ?]
building a model airplane tommorrow

Old 07-22-2021, 10:29 AM

1 posts, read 689 times
I enrolled my kid in an online creative drawing and acrylic painting class in https://georgia.edu.ph/ (since im still not comfortable with my kid going out bec of the corona virus). Maybe you can also try that for a bonding activity. I also listened during the class and sometimes draw and paint with my daughter. sort of our bonding activity.
You may also do some fun, unique art activities. There's lots of activities that you can see on youtube. you can be creative with your son with even stuff available at home.

Old 07-29-2021, 10:55 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,421,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad01 View Post
I'm taking some time off to spend with my son

was hoping for suggestions for activities that can be done with a six yr old boy

he is pretty average kid likes animals dinos some outdoor stuff like hiking /biking or "adventures" as he call it

he is a geek like me unfortunately

not big into sports

any ideas /suggestions ?

thanks
Its great yr kid actually likes to do things! Both my stepsons hate everything but video games.

Does he like to ride his bike? Maybe you guys could bike together, assuming he doesnt need yr help too much.

Fishing?

Old 07-29-2021, 11:34 AM

9,546 posts, read 7,096,781 times
I love the camping, fishing, archery ideas. Do you have access to a canoe or other small boat? That could be fun (life jackets, of course). Lots of boys who aren’t into organized sports still really like outdoor activities.

My son loved making really complicated hot wheels tracks and then we would race the cars. Lego sets, train or airplane museums, riding bikes, skateboarding?... he will have fun whatever you do if you are putting all your enthusiasm in it. Just going to a new playground can be fun at that age.

Old 07-29-2021, 02:11 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,023,078 times
We have a 6yo boy (and 3yo boy as well fwiw) and below are a few things he loves to do (either by himself or with us)...

-Playing with Legos: can't get enough of them!
-Drawing pictures or doing arts/crafts
-Playing at a park or doing anything that involves physical activity that's a game (doesn't have to be a sport, could just be playing tag or tossing/kicking a ball)
-Watching (child appropriate) movies (including the Lego movies which he loves)
-Board games (as some have mentioned above)
-Swimming (either pool or beach)
-Reading books with an adult
-Exploring new places and doing new things (my wife and I aren't big on camping so we set up a small tent indoors this year and both our boys slept in the tent in their sleeping bags and then watched movies with us while in the tent, they thought that was so cool, it was "camping" to them lol)

Those are just a few ideas

Old 07-29-2021, 02:48 PM

13,261 posts, read 8,067,163 times
Something we did with our granddaughter when she was 6ish...

first of all, I bought a bunch of googly eyes at Michaels. When the granddaughter came out to the country, my husband and I and granddaughter rode around on our Side by side, and would occasionally jump out and stick googly eyes to trees.

We all three thought it was the silliest thing ever and had a lot of fun.

Old 07-30-2021, 01:53 PM

4,272 posts, read 6,316,187 times
My son hates sports but he LOVED taking tae kwon do. He did it for three years and got his black belt. We saw many kids that started when they were 6, 7, or 8 years old and were already blackbelts by the time my son started (my son was 11 when he started).

Old 07-30-2021, 02:01 PM

3,030 posts, read 2,257,971 times
I think it's weird that you are his DAD and have no idea what to do with him. Unless you share custody and spend very little time with him, I can't imagine not having at least a few ideas of fun things to do around town or even literally in your own backyard.

I'm sorry if that is harsh, but I imagine that if a mother posted a similar thread, she would be raked over the coals.

Old 07-30-2021, 03:19 PM

32,706 posts, read 48,282,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gus2 View Post
.......I'm sorry if that is harsh, but I imagine that if a mother posted a similar thread, she would be raked over the coals.

I disagree with that. Mothers of six year old boys who have never raised a six year old boy before are often online asking for advice about activities and all sorts of other child rearing questions. New activities for kids is a favorite topic of conversation with mothers. The discovery of a new activity is shared with all the group and investigated and discussed.

Maybe a father who would only take his kid to do the things he did himself as a child and insisted the child did those activities whether or not the kid enjoyed it, that guy could expect to get raked over the coals. No one thinks it is incompetent parenting to inquire about new activities for a kid to try or to be asking about good ways to bond with a child.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting