Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2021, 05:03 PM

1,299 posts, read 849,213 times

Advertisements

I'm taking some time off to spend with my son

was hoping for suggestions for activities that can be done with a six yr old boy

he is pretty average kid likes animals dinos some outdoor stuff like hiking /biking or "adventures" as he call it

he is a geek like me unfortunately

not big into sports

any ideas /suggestions ?

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2021, 06:11 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,334,693 times
Why is the fact he's a "geek" unfortunate?

I see you're in Illinois. Not knowing where exactly it's difficult, but I'll assume it's the Chicago area. Other areas have similar places.

My kids loved going to the zoo. We sometimes took the train from the Western suburbs and walked from the Zoo stop. The train was part of the fun.

The Field Museum has dinos. The Museum of Science and Industry has some hands on exhibits my kids liked. Obviously check the hours and covid rules.

Illinois has lots of trails for hiking and biking. Maybe drive to one you wouldn't normally visit. If you're up for a longer drive, head over to Indiana and the Dunes parks. There is some great hiking there. There are also many smaller parks for biking in natural areas.

Is there a Children's museum nearby? Those are typically pretty fun for kids.

Old 07-06-2021, 07:14 PM

2,731 posts, read 6,115,684 times
Geocaching! You can start with the free app and upgrade to premium if you like it.

Old 07-09-2021, 02:42 PM

7,974 posts, read 7,346,874 times
I have two grandsons, ages 7 and 4, whom I babysit during the week over the summer vacation months. The 4-year old is very athletic, unlike his older brother. The 4-year-old loves to play outside, the older brother not so much. He's 7 and entering 4th grade this fall, if that helps you get the picture. He started Kindergarten at 4 and skipped second grade. He attends a private school for accelerated gifted kids. Nose is ALWAYS in a book or on the computer. Think "Sheldon" from "Big Bang Theory". The psychologist who recommended his school placement actually called him as much. He's a "geek" to a T, and there's nothing wrong with that.

Sometimes getting him interested in an activity outside is like pulling teeth.

Go out in the garden or yard, if you have one. Look underneath logs, rocks, etc. and observe the insects and ant colonies (trying not to disturb them). Sow bugs really fascinate the four-year-old...how they're rolled up in a ball one second and stretched out and walking with a zillion little legs the next, until you poke them and they roll up in a ball again. He's also amazed at a slug's eye stalks, how they draw inwards like a periscope when you poke them with a blade of grass. We had a whole bunch of baby toads last year, all congregated at the side of the house. The kids loved watching them up close, but weren't allowed to pick them up.

The 7-year-old has a microscope, which he got for Christmas, and that's been useful getting him to have some fun outside. He likes to examine moss, insects, tree bark, or anything else under it (this includes his own mucus, scabs, fingernail and toenail cuttings, etc.)

Kids are also fascinated with growing things. Give them a small patch to plant and some seeds, doesn't matter if it's zucchini or zinnias. Have them water it regularly and weed it. Kids get so excited when they see those shoots come up and the plants getting bigger and bigger every day. Warning, though...this year my 4-year-old grandson planted a row of sunflowers in his flower bed, only to have a pesky groundhog eat them all down to the quick. Luckily the stupid rodent didn't touch the zinnias or bachelor's buttons he planted. I've always planted flowers and a vegetable garden at son in law's and oldest DD's (their mom's) every summer, since I'm there so much and can take care of it. Plus, they have the room to do it, but not the time. Now that the kids are older, they help ME plant and take care of it, and enjoy it. We grow flowers and vegetables. Plus, now that they are older and responsible for it, when DH and I go away on our vacation next week, THEY will water it and take care of it, so it'll hopefully be alive and thriving (not like some other years) when I get back.

Plus, there's no better incentive to get kids to eat vegetables than when they can pick them right before they are cooked. I can't get oldest grandson to eat string beans (frozen from the store) during the winter, but he'll eat them every day when he picks them from the "giant bean stalk" during the summer.

Old 07-09-2021, 08:02 PM

32,632 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Is there a local museum with dinosaur bones?

Kids vary so much. My 6 year old nephews were bored by anything and everything unless someone was buying them something. It was just about impossible to entertain them in any way that didn't involve sitting in front of the TV.

My six year old went horse back riding, camping, fishing, bird hunting, beach combing, loved the zoo and the planetarium and the model train museum. He was learning to cook and barbecue and cook on a campfire. He was fascinated by fire so I set up a safe place for him to play with fire under supervision.

He helped with gardening with a special interest in growing things that can be eaten. He was also interested in raising chickens, which can be eaten.

He liked swimming and canoeing and happily helped me clean stalls and care for the horses. He went with me to horse shows and dog shows and rode with me in the pony cart. He had a cousin with a dairy and he loved to go over there and "help" milk cows.

He liked learning about outdoor survival and camping safety.

Mostly, it was whatever I was doing he wanted to do,

Old 07-09-2021, 08:12 PM

32,632 posts, read 47,975,309 times
I don't know what is in your area, but if he likes camping and hiking, take him camping and hiking. That can be really bonding.

Go panning for gold since he likes an adventure. Some places have areas where you can dig for gem stones or fossils. See if there is something like that in your area.

If the budget isn't tight, ask if he is interested in those little radio controlled boats that you sail on small ponds.

Is there a calm small lake where you can rent a small motorboat and take him boating?

I'm trying to remember when my son developed an interest in archery. I think he was about 6 when I bought him a child's size bow and set up some hay bales for him.

Are there powwows in your area in the summer? Kids seem to like going to those.

There is a "sport" in my area where you paint and decorate small rocks and then go for a hike and hide them for other kids to find. he might get a kick out of that.

I don't know if geo- caching can be done at his age. Maybe there are easy routes for kids? He might enjoy that since he likes an adventure.

Old 07-10-2021, 08:01 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times
Take him to the park and teach him to play chess.

Go to the beach, let him help you fix a picnic basket to take.

Has he shown an interest in food or cooking? Let him plan and color a menu, take him shopping for ingredients and let him help prep and cook 'his' meal for you. My kids loved to play 'restaurant' at that age.

Go online and look for simple but cool science experiments or crafts the two of you can do together. https://www.scienceworld.ca/resource/egg-bottle/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yShrIOj34r0

Old 07-10-2021, 01:11 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,434,576 times
Check out what your local library has for kids. Most usually have a story hour or sometimes a movie. Combine that with a restaurant outing.

Lego or some other model the two of you can put together.

Petting zoo or regular zoo. Go carts. Mini-golf. Water park. Any local fairs or carnivals with rides in town? Any local or nearby festivals that have kid friendly activities? Any historical sites that have kid friendly appeal?

Visit a toy store or store with a toy dept and let him pick out a toy or two. Ditto with a book store.....read to him and/or let him read to you.

Pick your own fruit/vegetable at a nearby farm and then do something with it or share with neighbors/friends. Or, find a roadside produce stand/farmers market and buy a watermelon to bring home for a backyard feast.

Teach him something......a new card game, a board game, some skill you have that will serve him well. Or learn something new with him.

If you live in suburbs take him to something in the nearest big city or out into adjacent rural territory. A one day or overnight road trip....most kids love to stay in motels/hotels especially if there is a pool.

If you're up for it have a few of his friends over for a cookout and let him help plan & prepare it start to finish.

Check out Next Door for your neighborhood and your town website for a calendar of events. If there is a facebook page for you town/neighborhood ask this question there and you will get answers more specific to your location.

Ask him what he would like to do!!

Old 07-11-2021, 09:30 PM

6,849 posts, read 4,847,655 times
Take him fishing. Google kids activities in your area. Like someone else said.... Ask him what he would like to do. If he says he doesn't know have a list of things of activities for him to choose from. Swimming, miniature golf, a kids art class, etc.

Old 07-15-2021, 11:36 AM

6,457 posts, read 7,789,115 times
When my kid was that age and I wanted to bond with him I took him on a long weekend trip. Just me and him. We did nature stuff like hiking. He gut stung hard by a bee/hornet, than I got stung while running away and carrying him in my arms. Ahhh memories. He still talks about that.

Go do adventurous (not dangerous) things to make some memories.

Have fun!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting