Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2021, 08:56 AM

16,419 posts, read 8,233,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaxwell View Post
At least you have your kid's best interests in mind.

Perhaps you should focus less on "she's going to make me," and more on, "how can I do my best to help my son?"
My thoughts exactly. This seems like such a selfish post. Why would you not want to help your child better their life??

I can understand wanting to have a say in what they major in as that is important and I don't see the point in paying for a useless degree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2021, 08:59 AM

2,454 posts, read 3,219,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
My thoughts exactly. This seems like such a selfish post. Why would you not want to help your child better their life??

I can understand wanting to have a say in what they major in as that is important and I don't see the point in paying for a useless degree.
The kid is six. There's plenty of time to figure out worthwhile pursuits.

Old 09-21-2021, 09:19 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,085,641 times
Married? Probably only an amount which is consistent with your financial capability.

Divorce, or dealing with the courts? They generally believe that today's child is "entitled" to a college education. If it goes into litigation, they will examine the financial resources of both parties (at their respective expense--think about $10,000 or so for a forensic accountant) and make a determination. Trust me, you won't like their ruling.

IF you have a relationship with the child, you can try to do your best to guide them into an education which creates skills that are useable out in the real world. If you are dealing with the type of mother/father who wants to see the child get a degree in "wall art for the adult disabled" (not picking on anyone, please) then you have to fight hard to get them into something which has as an economic future.

If you have a relationship with the mother, the above also applies.

I can offer you two anecdotal comments:

My parents: If you think we are paying for you to go to college, you have another thing coming. Convo lasted about 20 seconds.

My ex wife: Our divorce laid out the language on who was going to pay for college. She did everything she could to shirk her responsibility. Then you have to determine whether it is back to court ($15,000 every appearance PLUS the forensic accountant mentioned above) or just bite the bullet and pay. I paid. A LOT for three children. The kids now know the situation and the mom "that loved them" doesn't love them as much as she pretended -- just to save money.

Whole situation is fugly. You have to do what you feel comfortable with. Be firm, and fair. And do everything you can to keep it out of the lawyers hands.

Old 09-21-2021, 09:36 AM

6,873 posts, read 4,877,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaxwell View Post
The kid is six. There's plenty of time to figure out worthwhile pursuits.
He's discussing a child that is only six? Maybe he should start a college fund now. He has 12 years to save up. He doesn't need to let the child or mother know about it. Maybe the child won't want to go to college or won't have the grades to get in. Maybe the child will get a good scholarship.

It sounds like he's hoping the child makes an ridiculously early marriage in the hopes that will do something to make it so he doesn't have to pay.

Old 09-21-2021, 10:41 AM

3,155 posts, read 2,704,338 times
Guys, guys, guys. Do we really want to open the floodgates to this dude's story of woe by opining on his personal life? That's exactly what he's fishing for. This isn't a real question you ask a bunch of internet strangers, instead of your divorce attorney.

Old 09-21-2021, 12:26 PM

6,460 posts, read 7,801,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wac_432 View Post
Guys, guys, guys. Do we really want to open the floodgates to this dude's story of woe by opining on his personal life? That's exactly what he's fishing for. This isn't a real question you ask a bunch of internet strangers, instead of your divorce attorney.
Yeah, I was going to answer that the OP should consult an attorney if he fears his his assets need protecting (a trust or something).

But I never heard of being forced to pay for college. I would think once someone is 18 (and thereby considered an adult) they are on their own.

Old 09-21-2021, 01:00 PM

1,320 posts, read 858,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post

So bettering their life means getting a “useless” degree

Old 09-21-2021, 01:29 PM

That's not what I said. I said I understand if you don't want to pay for a degree like English, history or creative writing.

Honestly I dont know how much a degree or what it's in even matters these days, but you do have to have a degree in something. Many companies won't even look at you without one. I know people who have useless degrees who managed to get a good job because of someone they knew, they came on board, did great and have made it.

I see people complain about useless degrees but sometimes I wonder if these people are just useless people who couldnt make it work. Life is not fair, but these days if you want to work in a corporate setting a degree is needed. If your child wants to be a welder or plumber then I guess you dont need to worry about 4 year college and they could still do well. Im not sure why you're so worried about this when your kid is only 6.

Old 09-21-2021, 01:39 PM

2,454 posts, read 3,219,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad01 View Post
So bettering their life means getting a “useless” degree
The kid is six. I don't think now is the time to worry about his major. And, hey, with any luck, he'll become a pothead and won't be able to get into college. Lucky you!

Old 09-21-2021, 01:43 PM

It's amazing how parents think they know exactly what will happen to their kids so early on in life...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting