Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2021, 12:55 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,810,844 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsuperfly View Post
I'll say a few things. You'll probably completely disagree, and it won't matter. But here goes:

1) I don't believe college should be seen as "trade school for the professional class."

2) Just about all really well paying jobs these days are going to require graduate work. Many of those BAs/BSs that you probably see as worthless, such as Poli-Sci, History, English, Psychology, are acceptable and common stepping stones toward graduate degrees, especially if you're talking about becoming a politician. Going on to get a JD is a very common step for many politicians. FL Gov Ron DeSantis has a BA in History. MO Senator Josh Hawley has a BA in History. KY Senator Mitch McConnell has a BA in Political Science. MA Gov Charlie Baker has a BA in English. UT Senator Mitt Romney has a BA in English.

3) So then, even if you say, "Fine. I'll pay for that worthless English degree as long as you go to law school," he might agree at first but then down the road decide he wants to get a PhD in literature or get an MFA in Creative Writing. Or not go to graduate school at all. That's the thing about other people, even our own children: We can't control them.

4) A college-aged child is an adult that can legally do what they want. As such, I believe that paying for an adult child's education should be seen as a gift. And gifts should generally come with no strings attached. If the receiver is flunking a bunch of classes, sure, some reassessment on payment is undoubtedly in order. But, as long as the effort is there, the adult child should be able to choose their own path. Otherwise, it's just manipulation.
This. It’s a gift and a privilege. We were very clear with our kids that we were happy to pay for their college educations provided they worked hard and finished in 4 years with no summer school. We did not insist on choosing their classes or majors as a prerequisite of us paying. Both of them went on to get a Masters on their own dimes.

OP, your kid is SIX. You should be more concerned with instilling a life long love of learning instead of worrying about what major he/she will choose.

Last edited by UNC4Me; 09-24-2021 at 02:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2021, 01:17 PM

1,320 posts, read 857,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
This. It’s a gift and a privilege. We were very clear with our kids that we were happy to pay tor their college educations provided they worked hard and finished in 4 years with no summer school. We did not insist on choosing their classes or majors as a prerequisite of us paying. Both of them went on to get a Masters on their own dimes.

OP, your kid is SIX. You should be more concerned with instilling a life long love of learning instead of worrying about what major he/she will choose.
Higher education is a RIGHT for all citizens who qualify based on their competance [ it should not just be a gift or privilege]
im already doing that he knows more about natural history and animals than most grown ups
[amongst other things ] he is obsessed with eschatology too which is most amusing

Old 09-24-2021, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruegel View Post
1. You assume (in advance) that your grown son will not pick his path according his strengths and weaknesses.

2. You assume (in advance) that he won't pick his own path, won't be responsible for his actions, and will blame others for his decisions.

4. You assume (in advance) that your son will be blaming others for his choices.

--- This is a very dark picture of your son as an adult you are having.

This thread looks more like a projection of your own grievances with the world, onto your future adult son.
its called a contingency plan , you hope for the best and prepare for the worst
not pessimism but realism

Old 09-24-2021, 02:19 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,810,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad01 View Post
Higher education is a RIGHT for all citizens who qualify based on their competance [ it should not just be a gift or privilege]
im already doing that he knows more about natural history and animals than most grown ups
[amongst other things ] he is obsessed with eschatology too which is most amusing
My nephew knew more about dinosaurs at 6 than most adults and yet he didn’t become a paleontologist. Kids get hyper focused on lots of things. Doesn’t mean that translates to anything as an adult.

Higher Ed is an option available to those who academically qualify and can afford to pay. It’s not a right like public education K-12. Your academic aptitude and financial ability do not disqualify you to attend public school. Both can and do disqualify people from Higher Ed.

Old 09-24-2021, 04:04 PM

1,250 posts, read 679,664 times
How is the federal loan organization able (on what basis) to ask for parental income information?

What if a prospective college applicant is independent, of legal majority (age 18), and doesn't want their parents involved?

On what basis does the federal government ask for parental income information?

Old 09-24-2021, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkingandwondering View Post
How is the federal loan organization able (on what basis) to ask for parental income information?

What if a prospective college applicant is independent, of legal majority (age 18), and doesn't want their parents involved?

On what basis does the federal government ask for parental income information?
great point

Old 09-24-2021, 06:23 PM

Quote:
My nephew knew more about dinosaurs at 6 than most adults and yet he didn’t become a paleontologist. Kids get hyper focused on lots of things. Doesn’t mean that translates to anything as an adult.
i figured that, i remember when i was fixated on apes
Quote:
Higher Ed is an option available to those who academically qualify and can afford to pay. It’s not a right like public education K-12. Your academic aptitude and financial ability do not disqualify you to attend public school. Both can and do disqualify people from Higher Ed.
well thats the problem higher ed should be free as long as you academically qualify regardless of ability to pay

Old 09-24-2021, 09:00 PM

661 posts, read 881,648 times
You are not obligated to pay for his or her tuition.
My son is in College and I only helped him to find some loans, and only gave him $7,000 dollars when we opened his bank account.

Old 09-25-2021, 05:30 AM

3,085 posts, read 1,548,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad01 View Post
no issue at all ... if my child does not get brain washed by this "follow your passion" BS
you know what your kid needs? A new father! cause you arent a very good one!

Old 09-25-2021, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Williepaws View Post
you know what your kid needs? A new father! cause you arent a very good one!
great are you volunteering ? how do I contact you ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting