Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2021, 01:32 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,368,709 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weather088 View Post
I can’t think of any job that somebody can pursue with an economics degree besides economist. But that requires a PhD AND extensive math, which she doesn’t want to do
Then think again:
https://www.thebalancecareers.com/to...majors-2059650

Perhaps employers think more broadly than you do!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2021, 01:34 PM

3,244 posts, read 6,299,863 times
Quote:
I can’t think of any job that somebody can pursue with an economics degree besides economist. But that requires a PhD AND extensive math, which she doesn’t want to do
Paul Tudor Jones got his degree in economics from the University of Virginia. Now is is one of the world's most successful money managers with a net worth of over 5 billion dollars.

https://www.newtraderu.com/2020/01/3...nes-net-worth/

Old 11-07-2021, 01:40 PM

179 posts, read 149,647 times
Where I work, a degree of any sort gets points toward minimum qualifications for most jobs.

But knowing that, if you are still having heartburn, compromise and continue to contribute, just a lesser amount.

Ask her what she intends as her career path. I have an employee getting some sort of degree in mathematics. She's very smart, but still has no idea what she wants to do with the degree.

Old 11-07-2021, 01:43 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,598,476 times
Quote:
We had an agreement with our daughter that in order for us to pay for her college, she needs to pick a major that is in high demand, such as engineering, comp sci, chemistry, finance, accounting, education. She originally chose accounting. She is currently almost finished with her 3rd semester and decided change her major to a Bachelor of Arts in Economics because she thought calculus was “too hard” and she didn’t want to have to take “calculus 2”. Basically, she chose a pretty useless degree while going to school on my dime. My husband and I are paying for her full tuition and I remind her constantly that she is very privileged to be able to afford to go to school debt free. Now, we are having second thoughts about paying her way. It’s pathetic to pay tens of thousands of dollars for somebody to pursue “economics”. I think the real reason is that she is too lazy to do calculus and wants to take the easy way out. Somebody who wants to take the easy way out shouldn’t be in college in the first place.
Not everyone has the math ability to successfully complete calculus 2. Be glad she realized it before she failed. I see nothing wrong with economics. She should still be able to get a good job with that. If you don’t want to pay then don’t pay, but don’t blame it on her making a responsible adult decision by realizing her limitations.

Old 11-07-2021, 02:57 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,173,149 times
My high school boyfriend wasn't good at math and got a B.S. in Economics and then a Master's in Consumer Behavior. He went into marketing and has done very well for himself.

The thing about calculus is, there are a lot of majors that require it (mine did), but the graduates of most of those majors never use it. Is education supposed to be about a passion for learning, or navigating an obstacle course of useless and difficult courses that aren't germane to the workplace majors are supposed to prepare you for?

If you insist she major in a field she doesn't feel capable of excelling in, or worse yet, has no interest in, tell her to get student loans and choose her own path without pressure from her parents.

Old 11-07-2021, 04:33 PM

22,165 posts, read 19,217,049 times
let her finish college and get her degree.
and then you can cut her off financially.

having a degree will help her get a job.
parent is being over-controlling and interfering.

let her make her own decisions. and let her take responsibility for the outcome.
that's what grown-ups do.

Old 11-07-2021, 04:42 PM

24,538 posts, read 10,859,092 times
Quote:
What do you and your spouse do for a living? What are your educational backgrounds?

Old 11-07-2021, 04:52 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,149,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
OP, I have to plead for the student's case. First of all, nearly all the acceptable majors you chose are very math-heavy. This simply would not work for some students (me, for example), and not because they're "lazy". Some people's minds just cannot get around math.

Yet, in spite of that potential stumbling block, your student has stuck with your criteria, and down-shifted to economics, which IMO is a perfectly respectable major. Many majors, while not offering an open door to jobs upon graduation, can be successfully marketed by the grad to fit a variety of niches, and be employment-worthy. It really depends on how resourceful the student is in marketing themselves. For one thing (just off the top of my head), your student could apply for work at a bank (like, NOW, for example), and have strong potential for working her way up the ladder. Banking is a very solid field.

Many majors, including some of the ones you've chosen, aren't the magic key to jobs some people think, without an accompanying MA. Chemistry, for starters. Even engineering at the BA level doesn't pay all that well these days, I hear.

SO, what to do: have your student talk with the Econ Dept's undergraduate advisor, to see what job options there are for a BA in Econ. She should also talk to the university job placement office. This is primarily for people close to graduation, but there's no reason she couldn't make an appointment to see an advisor there now. They would actually be closer to the job market than the department academic advisor, and have experience actually placing Econ students in jobs.

In her new major, she may notice as she goes through her courses, that there are one or two faculty members, who help promising students get jobs. This may be via personal connections, or by writing stellar recommendations that get employers' attention. If she's among the top students (time will tell), she should cultivate a relationship with that (or those) faculty members. They may be able to turn her onto internships, or even hire her as an assistant to their own research.

Really, OP, being an outstanding student is at least as important, if not more important, than choice of major. Perhaps your main criterion should now shift to "we'll keep paying for college if you get a high GPA, and get an economics-related job or internships while you're still in school". Early job experience increases employability.

P.S. Does she have a minor? If she could combine Econ with some tech background, that would increase her employability. (See: the poster above, who majored in Geography, but used his tech skills to get a job that is also relevant to his Geography degree.) Or the job placement office might be able to suggest other fields, that would offer a practical combination with Econ.
Great points.

Old 11-07-2021, 04:57 PM

2,257 posts, read 5,187,812 times
Economics is a very respectable major, and will help the student build reasoning, analytical, and writing skills. Most entry level jobs are not major specific, such as analyst jobs that look more for strong aptitude, communication and personality, and a positive attitude where the kid can think and learn fast. I have helped interview and hire tens of analysts and associates in the banking sector, and I would hire an economics major any day.

Old 11-07-2021, 05:01 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,271,962 times
Quote:
We had an agreement with our daughter that in order for us to pay for her college, she needs to pick a major that is in high demand, such as engineering, comp sci, chemistry, finance, accounting, education. She originally chose accounting. She is currently almost finished with her 3rd semester and decided change her major to a Bachelor of Arts in Economics because she thought calculus was “too hard” and she didn’t want to have to take “calculus 2”. Basically, she chose a pretty useless degree while going to school on my dime. My husband and I are paying for her full tuition and I remind her constantly that she is very privileged to be able to afford to go to school debt free. Now, we are having second thoughts about paying her way. It’s pathetic to pay tens of thousands of dollars for somebody to pursue “economics”. I think the real reason is that she is too lazy to do calculus and wants to take the easy way out. Somebody who wants to take the easy way out shouldn’t be in college in the first place.
Calculus for an accounting degree? Maybe statistics.

I just looked at the curriculum for the degree at a&m and all it has is algebra. Lots of stats though.

In reality she probably would not need your funding. She can get student loans on her own and also a part time job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting