Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2021, 11:41 AM

2 posts, read 10,817 times

Advertisements

We had an agreement with our daughter that in order for us to pay for her college, she needs to pick a major that is in high demand, such as engineering, comp sci, chemistry, finance, accounting, education. She originally chose accounting. She is currently almost finished with her 3rd semester and decided change her major to a Bachelor of Arts in Economics because she thought calculus was “too hard” and she didn’t want to have to take “calculus 2”. Basically, she chose a pretty useless degree while going to school on my dime. My husband and I are paying for her full tuition and I remind her constantly that she is very privileged to be able to afford to go to school debt free. Now, we are having second thoughts about paying her way. It’s pathetic to pay tens of thousands of dollars for somebody to pursue “economics”. I think the real reason is that she is too lazy to do calculus and wants to take the easy way out. Somebody who wants to take the easy way out shouldn’t be in college in the first place.

Last edited by Weather088; 11-07-2021 at 11:49 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2021, 11:51 AM

6,792 posts, read 9,340,858 times
It’s your money, so I think your questions are valid. However, I also think you should talk to her about her career plans, like what liked about the Economics program, and what kinds of jobs she thinks she would want to pursue.

Only reason why I say this is because I got similar feedback from my parents when I changed my major from something “in demand” to Geography. Definitely a lot of questions like “what does someone do with a degree in THAT” - but I’ve worked in the tech industry for the past 10 years and have made a very comfortable living, and I actually use what I learned in that degree program, pretty much every day. So like, if someone were to ask “do you actually use your degree” or “do you actually work in that field” - the answer is YES.

Old 11-07-2021, 11:55 AM

2 posts, read 10,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyxjon View Post
It’s your money, so I think your questions are valid. However, I also think you should talk to her about her career plans, like what liked about the Economics program, and what kinds of jobs she thinks she would want to pursue.

Only reason why I say this is because I got similar feedback from my parents when I changed my major from something “in demand” to Geography. Definitely a lot of questions like “what does someone do with a degree in THAT” - but I’ve worked in the tech industry for the past 10 years and have made a very comfortable living, and I actually use what I learned in that degree program, pretty much every day. So like, if someone were to ask “do you actually use your degree” or “do you actually work in that field” - the answer is YES.
I can’t think of any job that somebody can pursue with an economics degree besides economist. But that requires a PhD AND extensive math, which she doesn’t want to do

Old 11-07-2021, 12:09 PM

102,195 posts, read 107,823,938 times
OP, I have to plead for the student's case. First of all, nearly all the acceptable majors you chose are very math-heavy. This simply would not work for some students (me, for example), and not because they're "lazy". Some people's minds just cannot get around math.

Yet, in spite of that potential stumbling block, your student has stuck with your criteria, and down-shifted to economics, which IMO is a perfectly respectable major. Many majors, while not offering an open door to jobs upon graduation, can be successfully marketed by the grad to fit a variety of niches, and be employment-worthy. It really depends on how resourceful the student is in marketing themselves. For one thing (just off the top of my head), your student could apply for work at a bank (like, NOW, for example), and have strong potential for working her way up the ladder. Banking is a very solid field.

Many majors, including some of the ones you've chosen, aren't the magic key to jobs some people think, without an accompanying MA. Chemistry, for starters. Even engineering at the BA level doesn't pay all that well these days, I hear.

SO, what to do: have your student talk with the Econ Dept's undergraduate advisor, to see what job options there are for a BA in Econ. She should also talk to the university job placement office. This is primarily for people close to graduation, but there's no reason she couldn't make an appointment to see an advisor there now. They would actually be closer to the job market than the department academic advisor, and have experience actually placing Econ students in jobs.

In her new major, she may notice as she goes through her courses, that there are one or two faculty members, who help promising students get jobs. This may be via personal connections, or by writing stellar recommendations that get employers' attention. If she's among the top students (time will tell), she should cultivate a relationship with that (or those) faculty members. They may be able to turn her onto internships, or even hire her as an assistant to their own research.

Really, OP, being an outstanding student is at least as important, if not more important, than choice of major. Perhaps your main criterion should now shift to "we'll keep paying for college if you get a high GPA, and get an economics-related job or internships while you're still in school". Early job experience increases employability.

P.S. Does she have a minor? If she could combine Econ with some tech background, that would increase her employability. (See: the poster above, who majored in Geography, but used his tech skills to get a job that is also relevant to his Geography degree.) Or the job placement office might be able to suggest other fields, that would offer a practical combination with Econ.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 11-07-2021 at 12:19 PM..

Old 11-07-2021, 12:13 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,067,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weather088 View Post
I can’t think of any job that somebody can pursue with an economics degree besides economist. But that requires a PhD AND extensive math, which she doesn’t want to do
Did you even Google?

https://www.thebalancecareers.com/to...majors-2059650

Besides that, she could go on to get her masters, even an MBA, and then she would have even more options.

Frankly I think you are being overly antagonistic towards her. She is having to do the work, not you. If she fails calculus 2, she would then be wasting your money.

What if she eventually decides to be a stay at home mom? Will you constantly regret what you paid for college and resent her for it?

Old 11-07-2021, 12:17 PM

17,361 posts, read 16,498,076 times
You can't browbeat a non math person into being "mathy". She is way better off switching to a major that she has the ability to master and be good at.

Are you expecting your daughter to support you when you're old or something? I only ask because I have 2 college kids and I can't imagine putting this kind of expectation on them regarding their major.

I've known people who majored in Econ, they all went on to get decent jobs. I guess I just don't understand your angst.

Old 11-07-2021, 12:29 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,067,374 times
Also an economics major is much more challenging than being an education major.

You sound unreasonably angry. Is there more to the story?

Last edited by calgirlinnc; 11-07-2021 at 01:25 PM..

Old 11-07-2021, 01:21 PM

7,118 posts, read 12,657,474 times
Geez, I majored in English Lit which I guess is considered a useless degree for one not wanting to teach-- but I loved words-- and after graduation went on to form a successful career in marketing communications where having a strong research & writing background gave me solid grounding in my field.

I've no regrets for my "useless" field of study and am glad my parents helped support my education (I'd won a partial scholarship and did some part-time work while in school) and future success. Will always be grateful to them.

And they were proud of me.

Old 11-07-2021, 01:30 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,358,121 times
As a parent, sure, you want your child to be in a field where not only can they succeed can they make a "good" living. But I often hear parents that have extremely narrow views of what those majors are that lead to a good living. Just to be extreme, many Indian parents say only doctors, engineers, or lawyers are acceptable.

I think the OPs choices are far too limited - likely due to a lack of knowledge about what is truly in demand. As another poster said, majoring in Geography got him a high-paying tech job - bet his parents would never have thought that! I got a master's in experimental psychology (lots of classes in statistics that my parents wouldn't have known about!) and also work in a tech-related field making well into 6 figures and will be getting a pension.

Also, this is a first post and extremely strongly worded and provocative - wonder how much they'll be back to c-d?

Old 11-07-2021, 01:31 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,469,646 times
Some day she will look back and be glad she took Economics.
We will all have to deal with economic issues in our life,so why not learn something about it now.
You are being rather narrow minded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting