Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2021, 05:06 PM

12,058 posts, read 10,264,721 times

Advertisements

https://catalog.tamusa.edu/undergrad...ccounting-bba/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2021, 05:15 PM

17,352 posts, read 16,492,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
Calculus for an accounting degree? Maybe statistics.

I just looked at the curriculum for the degree at a&m and all it has is algebra. Lots of stats though.

In reality she probably would not need your funding. She can get student loans on her own and also a part time job.
Weirdly enough, a lot of Accounting programs do, in fact, require Business Calculus and, at least at my son's school, some of the Econ majors need to take Calc 1 which is for the sciences and generally viewed to be more difficult than Business Calc.

Business Calc does not have Trig or proofs so the math prerequisites for taking it are less than what is required in Calc 1. I haven't heard of Business programs requiring Calc 2 or 3 but I also haven't looked at every program out there. My knowledge of the programs is pretty limited.

Old 11-07-2021, 05:17 PM

25,558 posts, read 17,263,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weather088 View Post
I can’t think of any job that somebody can pursue with an economics degree besides economist. But that requires a PhD AND extensive math, which she doesn’t want to do
You're a vertical thinker.
I retired from business and worked for several people with economics degrees and history degrees. They all had the internal latitude necessary to make their degree work. People with latitude will make the decision right, rather than fret over making the right decision.

Old 11-07-2021, 05:25 PM

6,852 posts, read 4,850,706 times
Hmmm..... I don't know about current trends, but the daughter of friends got a degree in economics and got a job for some big bank. That was about 15 years ago. She is no longer in the U.S., she was promoted to a position in London and my understanding is she is very well paid.

Old 11-07-2021, 05:34 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,338,167 times
I was out to be an engineer from elementary school. When I got to the last years of my EE program I lucked into the perfect job. A one man engineering dept. in a high level Biology Institute. Shared a three story walkup with a mess of scientists including two Nobel Prize winners. Interesting place to work...the lingua Franca was French. Do not claim to have learned it but pick up enough for minimal survival.

I did very well in my early career...more a scientist than an engineer. Later on I had a high level staff including some Phds. When I started discussing going back for a PhD. they told me I was nuts...Basically I was already the senior PhD in most of the areas of my interest. So I kept on leading the place rather than getting more academic credentials.

At one point I had over 30 PhD's in my shop. Among my favorites was the PhD who invented the US version of the mouse. He was a biologist though quite at home in hard core electronics.

So leave the lady alone. Let her spin her own web. I will bet she does well.

Old 11-07-2021, 05:56 PM

2,020 posts, read 1,122,666 times
I dual majored in Economics and Marketing. I landed a very high-paying job in Finance.

You would be better off helping her chart her career path than complaining about a very respectable major. Internships are very useful in procuring employment upon graduation.

Old 11-07-2021, 06:16 PM

15,406 posts, read 7,468,300 times
I'm biased because I have an accounting degree, but I found that far more marketable than an economics degree. And, accounting majors tend to start at a higher salary. I've switched over to supporting accounting systems, because knowing how to do the accounting really helps when it comes to system issues and in showing users how to perform their tasks. I support SAP and a small accounting package that we use for our smaller companies where the cost of setting them up in SAP doesn't make sense.

I would have her tough out the second math class and get the accounting degree.

Old 11-07-2021, 07:53 PM

10,292 posts, read 6,818,131 times
Default You want fries with that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weather088 View Post
We had an agreement with our daughter that in order for us to pay for her college, she needs to pick a major that is in high demand, such as engineering, comp sci, chemistry, finance, accounting, education. She originally chose accounting. She is currently almost finished with her 3rd semester and decided change her major to a Bachelor of Arts in Economics because she thought calculus was “too hard” and she didn’t want to have to take “calculus 2”. Basically, she chose a pretty useless degree while going to school on my dime. My husband and I are paying for her full tuition and I remind her constantly that she is very privileged to be able to afford to go to school debt free. Now, we are having second thoughts about paying her way. It’s pathetic to pay tens of thousands of dollars for somebody to pursue “economics”. I think the real reason is that she is too lazy to do calculus and wants to take the easy way out. Somebody who wants to take the easy way out shouldn’t be in college in the first place.
Kick her out of college, now that you're 3 sem's in?

If you think the cost of college is expensive, you can not imagine the cost of ignorance. Do what you can to help her achieve her goal. (Please notice, I said "HER" GOAL.)

Now, if you want her to "help" out with her costs (ie. books/tuition) then this usually proves to make the student try harder. If "mom & dad" are footing the bills, then she has no "skin in the game."

Changing major's mid-stream isn't the end of the world. The percentage of people's occupation being directly attributed to their major, is quite small. This is just not unusual.

Accounting is always in demand, AND it can be done anywhere, in all 50 States (plus the territories.) From home, even.

Economics isn't a "useless" sheepskin. It can open doors to things you may not have considered.

Cut your losses, she could switch to liberal arts...

Remember: the purpose of a sheep skin isn't that you know something. You may still be obsolete to current technologies, as schools just don't have the latest greatest equipment, nor the staff that can run it.

The purpose of college is to prove to a potential employer that you have the ability to learn. That's really all there is to it.

The largest scam currently are the costs associated with colleges. Almost as bad as hospitals...

Old 11-07-2021, 10:08 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,408,468 times
Calc 1 and 2 are easy if you target a good teacher and get a tutor.

Old 11-08-2021, 05:11 AM

17,003 posts, read 12,585,284 times
While certainly not as in demand as say engineering, I would not put economics on the same tier of low demand such as gender studies, various history, etc.

Calc did suck. Hated it. I said I would never use calc or trig. Never used it and I ended up in engineering. I do use trig every day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting