Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2022, 05:24 PM

817 posts, read 643,093 times

Advertisements

At 18 your stepson is an adult and capable of making his own decisions, you literally have no say in what he does, and you need to accept that. In some countries like Scotland for example the age of majority is 16 and you are considered an adult at 16. Americans have infantilized teens to the extreme in recent years. Once someone turns 13 they're no longer kids that need to be coddled, they are young adults and need room to grow into full fledged adults. By 18 most people are ready to go out into the world and should already have the skills necessary to support themselves.

Last edited by NearFantastica; 06-12-2022 at 05:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2022, 02:13 PM

3,048 posts, read 1,166,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
My stepson is 18. I dont @ all feel he is an adult but my husband says bc he is 18 he is an adult & can make his own decisions. The law doesnt dictate maturity. I dont believe that @ 18 a parent should treat them like they’re a full-on adult. I am not saying to treat them like children either … but there does have to be a line drawn.

Stepkiddo is in college & skips classes a lot. His grades are overall good but my husband doesnt ever say anything about it & says to me “its his life” … i still think that @ 18 you are not really an adult yet & still need parental advice & intervention.

Idk. Maybe it’s just me. Some 18 year olds are probably more mature. I think my stepson still needs some guidance … & thats ok!
My eldest arrived into this world as an old soul. Incredibly self-reliant and possessing a strong sense of herself from toddlerhood, she needed just a light touch of guidance as she grew into adulthood. She was ready to take on the world at 18, but my youngest was not. The three years between 18 and 21 made a huge difference in his maturity. Kids are on their own schedule with their own individual needs, and we parents have to roll with it.

Old 06-15-2022, 02:16 PM

48,708 posts, read 35,181,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1065 View Post
My eldest arrived into this world as an old soul. Incredibly self-reliant and possessing a strong sense of herself from toddlerhood, she needed just a light touch of guidance as she grew into adulthood. She was ready to take on the world at 18, but my youngest was not. The three years between 18 and 21 made a huge difference in his maturity. Kids are on their own schedule with their own individual needs, and we parents have to roll with it.
My husband's youngest daughter was the same, always focused, sports/academics, straight to college, became an RN in nothing flat, got a great job at a hospital. She's ALWAYS been a responsible adult.

On the other hand, I know some 40 year olds who shouldn't be allowed to make their own decisions.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting