Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2022, 07:31 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,956,787 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
I can tell this is your first child. For your second and third youngster, even at 2 years old when they could care less or know better, you'll be telling them to be glad they have what they got.
As for the cardboard boxes somebody mentioned, when my sons were 8 and 10, I used to get a couple refrigerator boxes, tape them together in a 90 degree angle and let them play in them. They loved it! I also found an old vinyl play house somebody was throwing away. Part of the roof was gone and one of the shutters that close in one window was also gone. They didn't care! We would have several of their friends out playing in that broken down house.

Just quit making a big deal out of everything and enjoy watching him grow up.
Kids LOVE to make playhouses out of big boxes! They also love to make "forts" out of old bedspreads or sheets covering a folding card table (are those still around?), to create a private space underneath.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2022, 10:14 PM

23,869 posts, read 33,575,259 times
Since you said nappies, I assume you're in the UK.

Here in the US, we have Facebook groups that are town specific that we can post in. Make a post asking for toy donations if people are getting rid of stuff. They'd be happy to pass it on to you for free.

People put toys on their curbs in my old development, then post to our development Facebook group. Someone always responded.

I recently moved, donated my grand kids toys to a woman who's son was almost two. Gave her a bunch of trucks, a trike, toddler scooter, bunch of other electronic toys, Thomas trains. She and her hub work hard but are in the same boat after rent and food.

Also try thrift shops, they have toys very cheap.

Best is to give them your old phone when you upgrade. You can install baby games on it. Very educational, kids you tube too. My grandson has learned a lot from you tube, granddaughter too who are 9 and 5.

People don't know there is need unless you reach out for help. Local community center, church may have people that would donate to you.

Old 08-29-2022, 04:38 AM

12 posts, read 7,286 times
Yes 100% they can!!

Take them out to the park and beach etc.
Get them a ball to kick around
PLay games with them at home
Cook with them
Watch a film with them

Old 08-29-2022, 06:32 AM

13,286 posts, read 8,460,871 times
My generation and my childrens' were able to use the best resource. Their imagination!
Got popsicle sticks , they made mini forts.
Had old Lincoln logs they made a army base.
Got crayons, playdough .. paper . They created some interesting art work!

Sand box was a summer of fun.

Of course the big boxes were a hit for summer camp outs!

Sadly when they started getting the Nintendo games, they played less with the neighbor kids .

My niece loved doing the beaded jewelry but we had to keep her supervised . We found old wigs from garage sales. She loved styling or cutting them. What a hoot that was!

I only have the experience of ' budget limitations ' growing up with six siblings. So we were absolutely ready for higher education when we had to be innovative or find resources . We thought inside and outside of the box so to speak.

Old 08-29-2022, 08:28 AM

19,814 posts, read 9,371,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looking_for_hope View Post
I have a baby, less than 2 years old and while we try to do our best for our baby, we live in low income and don´t have much money at the moment. We buy all the necessary clothing, nappies, wipes, food but we can only buy few toys. Despite working hours we spend the rest of the day with him and we love him much than he will know. But I am afraid, he realizes that he has no the same opportunities and goods like other kids.
My opinion is that children CAN be happy with very few things until they are older and if and when they see their classmates having more things and/or more freedom than they are allowed. With my kids, that started at about age 12.

Of course, YMMV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
I can tell this is your first child. For your second and third youngster, even at 2 years old when they could care less or know better, you'll be telling them to be glad they have what they got.
As for the cardboard boxes somebody mentioned, when my sons were 8 and 10, I used to get a couple refrigerator boxes, tape them together in a 90 degree angle and let them play in them. They loved it! I also found an old vinyl play house somebody was throwing away. Part of the roof was gone and one of the shutters that close in one window was also gone. They didn't care! We would have several of their friends out playing in that broken down house.

Just quit making a big deal out of everything and enjoy watching him grow up.

Just wanted to ditto the cardboard box thing, and also say that with my kids until they were about nine or so, their favorite toys were all under $10 and VERY simple. A pad or paper and some crayons or markers, or some sidewalk chalk, or a big rubber ball were all they needed to have fun. And, of course, when they are small, they LOVE it when you play with them. My kids favorite thing until they were about six years old or so was this stupid little game I invented called "find the hairbrush". Before I had kids, I was suddenly faced with entertaining a neighbor's preschool child when the neighbor had to leave on some kind of emergency, and I had absolutely nothing no choice to amuse the child, so out of desperation, I invented a hide and seek game with my hairbrush in which we took turns -- you guessed it -- hiding the hairbrush in places like behind a throw pillow. Entertained her for more than an hour!

Last edited by katharsis; 08-29-2022 at 08:45 AM..

Old 08-29-2022, 10:06 AM

1,140 posts, read 618,456 times
I love my parents, esp my mom. They both worked hard to keep us fed, clothed and free to goto school.

As an adult, in hindsight I realize that we were basically at the poverty line and had almost no luxuries for most of our lives... but guess what? We were happy. I had a carefree and good childhood with almost no toys, etc. Obviously I would keep asking my mom if she can buy things for me, but 99.999% of the time the answer was no because the reality is that we couldn't afford it. In time that became no big deal... and in reality - it isn't.

Things can bring "some" joy. But too much things makes you entitled and not appreciate life.

Kids feeling secure, loved, fed, clothed, warm and the freedom to be kids (playing with their friends, going to school, going to the park, etc) is all they need. A stable family with as little conflict as possible is what you need to provide.

Things don't matter. They will ask for things... that is the nature of children. But if you explain to them why you can't get it, then they will understand. Kids are way smarter than we give them credit for.

Old 08-29-2022, 11:56 AM

5,655 posts, read 3,158,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Just stop. Toys do not equal love. Your child wants love and security top of his list.

Kids with lots of toys don't play with all those toys. Buying kids lots of toys doesn't do anything but make them entitled consumers.

Buy few toys but select them carefully so they are safe and sturdy and are something a child will play with.

At two years old a cardboard box big enough to use as a cave is probablyy the toy he will enjoy the most.
When my oldest was a little squirt, his favorite 'toy' was a styrofoam Happy Meal box, with an old stale french fry in it, that he would shake like a rattle.

Down through the ages, kids have often made common items into toys. Corn husk dolls come to mind. To my mind, giving a child the opportunity to play is more important than having lots of toys. Like, filling a washing tub with water, and giving him measuring cups to play with. Kids learn through play. Take him to a park and let him climb and run...these are things little boys need. Let him 'help' you cook dinner...or wash dishes, etc. Experiences with play are more important than a specific store bought toy.

Old 08-29-2022, 12:01 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,353,101 times
Children don't need the latest, greatest toys or electronics at 2 years old. When my children were very young they had basic toys like blocks or legos, plain scrap paper and chunky crayons, puzzles, a few stuffed animals for make believe and even a set of plastic measuring cups became a bath toy. Things you probably have in your home are toys. Children love to play with plastic bowls, cardboard boxes, plastic dishes, make tent forts out of blankets, etc. The absolute best thing you can do with them is to read to them and provide them with books borrowed from a library.

Old 08-29-2022, 12:32 PM

6,871 posts, read 4,873,766 times
Sure they can be happy. Also, tell them when you can't afford something. Kids need to grow up understanding about money.

Some kids will be unhappy even when given a lot of stuff, so there is that, too.

Old 08-29-2022, 12:36 PM

5,655 posts, read 3,158,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Twist View Post
Sure they can be happy. Also, tell them when you can't afford something. Kids need to grow up understanding about money.

Some kids will be unhappy even when given a lot of stuff, so there is that, too.
Yeah, this for sure! There's always that "grass is greener on the other side" thing going on.

My mom tells a story about a friend she had when she was a little girl. Her friend was Potawatamie Indian, and her family were well off from oil money. All the little girl's clothing was store bought. My mom's mom made all my mom's clothes.

Both of the little girls always admired the other's cloths, each wishing they could have what the other had. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting