Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2023, 04:31 PM

493 posts, read 326,157 times

Advertisements

I see those portable hoops around town, but most of them look broken and unused. When I was a kid, we played football, basketball and baseball for hours. I hardly ever see kids outside throwing a ball around around town. Are they all playing video games or on their phones?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2023, 04:47 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,676,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rokuremote View Post
Never liked those, you're just asking for garage door damage.
Not to mention that a lot of people don’t or can’t place their cars into the garage- and it’s wildly impractical to use them if your cars are parked in front of the garage. I am also in the Chicago suburbs and they are popular, but typically the portable ones on the side of the driveway nearer to the sidewalk. If you miss, it just goes into the yard and not the door or possibly a window depending on how the garage is oriented.

Old 05-22-2023, 05:43 PM

3,155 posts, read 2,700,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snackmaster View Post
I see those portable hoops around town, but most of them look broken and unused. When I was a kid, we played football, basketball and baseball for hours. I hardly ever see kids outside throwing a ball around around town. Are they all playing video games or on their phones?
Can't speak to other kids.

Ours are practicing ballet, swimming, piano, a second language, and team basketball.
When they are home, they are studying, eating, reading, or sleeping.

When I play basketball with them, we walk, ride, or drive down to the local middle school. They have a half-dozen full-sized concrete courts and hoops where we can play full 2-on-1 games.

The same thing applied to playgrounds after they passed the age of 2. Instead of wasting money on a rinky-dink home playset, we went to parks with big expansive playgrounds and lots of other kids to play with.

The parks in our town are pretty busy. The basketball courts at the highschool are in pretty much constant use. The ones at the elementary and middle schools are emptier, but I think that's because nobody with kids can afford to live in those parts of town.

If you're anyplace even somewhat urban or suburban, there are probably parks or schools nearby with better courts than a hoop hung over a garage. I would guess that is where the kids are. If you are in a high COL area, it's likely that parents are opting for public parks/pools/courts over the expense of installing smaller/lesser-quality ones at home. Those old broken freestanding hoops are probably leftovers from a bygone era.

Old 05-22-2023, 08:29 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
The ones on the house are too loud, the freestanding ones tend to be abandoned for years before being removed, the nets are always the first thing to go so they end up looking trashy. At one point we had 4 in a cul-de-sac with 11 houses, now we don't have any. I've been in my house 32 years so I'm familiar with the cycle...

Old 05-26-2023, 06:06 AM

350 posts, read 229,819 times
My next door neighbors have one in their driveway and I can hear them using it every morning before they go to school and in the evenings as well. They are a family with three boys ranging from 9 to 14 and all three are heavily into baseball. Their lives are all about baseball so if they weren't gone all the time at games and practices, I'm sure I would hear the pounding of the basketball more often.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting