Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2024, 02:31 PM

17,372 posts, read 16,518,282 times

Advertisements

I quit working to be a SAHM when our first was born and I was lucky to have my mom nearby who could watch the kids when I had a doctor/dental appt come up.

Before we had kids both my husband and I worked long hours, sometimes on weekends with occasional business trips. It was great when it was just us to consider but once we had a baby something had to give.

I've seen other couples stagger their work schedules so that one of them is home with the kids during most of the day. They might put the kids into daycare for 2 or 3 hours a day which gives the kids time to play and socialize with other children.

You just have to be creative and do what works for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2024, 12:57 AM

250 posts, read 148,202 times
Some go to work anyway. I was shocked when my coworker said the other day that her 9 yr old son was home sick and ALONE. He had a fever and had thrown up that morning. She had given him tylenol, which he kept down, but I would have stayed home with my kid! A phone call away doesn't cut it imo.

Old 03-11-2024, 09:14 AM

36,519 posts, read 30,856,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aboom View Post
Some go to work anyway. I was shocked when my coworker said the other day that her 9 yr old son was home sick and ALONE. He had a fever and had thrown up that morning. She had given him tylenol, which he kept down, but I would have stayed home with my kid! A phone call away doesn't cut it imo.
I'm sure there are some who have to weigh staying home with a sick 9 year old who will most likely sleep all day with their livelihood.

Old 03-12-2024, 09:09 PM

32,932 posts, read 36,351,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I'm sure there are some who have to weigh staying home with a sick 9 year old who will most likely sleep all day with their livelihood.
That's sad but quite true.

Old 03-14-2024, 05:06 PM

25,962 posts, read 22,113,827 times
My husband and I worked different shifts, and considered it one of the "joys" of parenting. Some kids can stay by themselves by a certain age, as with cell phones today, it is a much different world. Degree to which they are sick, or maybe the required days after the fever or something is gone makes a difference.

Old 03-17-2024, 06:45 AM

9,414 posts, read 11,162,803 times
When I was a kid and out of school sick, I'd be at home alone. I don't think kids need caretakers all day, I didn't.

Old 03-17-2024, 07:43 AM

7,184 posts, read 9,317,614 times
We're one set of grandparents. We gratefully help out taking care of grandkids when childcare arrangements break down.

We also compete with the other extended family grandparents who live nearby to help out. We all enjoy it.

We think it's our duty and and it's so much fun watching them grow up.

There is a huge advantage of having extended family nearby.

Old 03-17-2024, 04:28 PM

524 posts, read 246,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
When I was a kid and out of school sick, I'd be at home alone. I don't think kids need caretakers all day, I didn't.
Depends on the age of the child and the level of illness. If one of my high schoolers is home vomitimg and febrile, damn straight I’m going to take the day off to care for them. Dehydration and all that.

Old 03-17-2024, 05:55 PM

2,299 posts, read 1,518,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
We're one set of grandparents. We gratefully help out taking care of grandkids when childcare arrangements break down.

We also compete with the other extended family grandparents who live nearby to help out. We all enjoy it.

We think it's our duty and and it's so much fun watching them grow up.

There is a huge advantage of having extended family nearby.
Our problem as grandparents is that both our sons-in-law have their families living too far away to help out. We enjoy helping with the grandkids too and have been doing it for eleven years now. But it would be good to have backup from the other side.

We do a school run for each daughter weekly but when you throw in an extra day for a sick child (first since Covid last week of a 7am call) a night for each of them for going out, it can end up being very busy.

Old 03-23-2024, 05:56 PM

2,194 posts, read 1,139,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
What is a parent who is at home all day? A stay at home parent. If they are also working for someone else and getting a paycheck while they are at home, they are a SAHP and working.

I have never had anyone, myself included, that had to create a commotion and tell everyone in the office that I am leaving to pick up my sick kid. Of course it is easier to WFH because no one has to know that you are not actually working when you are taking care of your children. It is a great option for any woman planning on having a family if they can find it. Sometimes it is the only way to balance kids and career.
There's a world of difference though between say a parent of a toddler that is paid hourly for doing non-stop call center work and the parent of a 5th grader who does project/output work on salary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting