Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2024, 09:42 AM

4,022 posts, read 1,876,931 times

Advertisements

Seems like you'll have that worked out before your kid ever gets to school. You'll be having to find daily care every day long before then, right? Do you plan to send your 3 month old or 6 month old child to day care?

So it's grandparents - then a thoughtful neighbor - then paid help - then professional help - then change of career.
Back in the day, "work at home" as not a thing. Now it is.

But whatever you do - and I say this with all the sympathy I can muster - you do not get to make the decision to have children - then complain later that you can't get by or afford a sitter or whatever. Figure it out NOW.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2024, 07:04 AM

36,531 posts, read 30,856,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roodd279 View Post
Seems like you'll have that worked out before your kid ever gets to school. You'll be having to find daily care every day long before then, right? Do you plan to send your 3 month old or 6 month old child to day care?

So it's grandparents - then a thoughtful neighbor - then paid help - then professional help - then change of career.
Back in the day, "work at home" as not a thing. Now it is.

But whatever you do - and I say this with all the sympathy I can muster - you do not get to make the decision to have children - then complain later that you can't get by or afford a sitter or whatever. Figure it out NOW.
Someone once said “Mann Tracht, Un Gott Lacht”.

Old 01-24-2024, 07:13 AM

4,022 posts, read 1,876,931 times
Mann Tracht, Un Gott Lacht

hahaha 1000x agree. That is why I made the statement. Few folks have the "option" to make plans...but this is maybe a time when it can be done.

Old 02-05-2024, 11:57 PM

7,975 posts, read 7,350,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I have had co-workers in long term monogamous marriages in which the father (my co-worker or co-workers' husband) never would take off work for sick kids or kids dr. appts. It all fell on the working mother who often had to go to part time due to all the missed days.
I work for a school district cafeteria, and we are very "family friendly"...most of us older workers are of that age where we have grandchildren, aging parents, and often aging husbands with health issues. Supervisors are understanding, but the particular co-worker I posted about and her four kids have had THREE bouts of stomach flu THREE weeks in a row, missing days every week. Always, the call offs are Monday morning. "The kids and I have been throwing up all night". This is getting old.

Old 02-07-2024, 06:14 AM

9,454 posts, read 5,216,910 times
Agree on settling all of this BEFORE you have children. I've seen every iteration of 'someone has to stay home with the sick kid.'

Old 02-08-2024, 02:55 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,350,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
I work for a school district cafeteria, and we are very "family friendly"...most of us older workers are of that age where we have grandchildren, aging parents, and often aging husbands with health issues. Supervisors are understanding, but the particular co-worker I posted about and her four kids have had THREE bouts of stomach flu THREE weeks in a row, missing days every week. Always, the call offs are Monday morning. "The kids and I have been throwing up all night". This is getting old.
Okay, update on this situation...co-worker was back to work yesterday, and I asked her what her kids' doctor says about these frequent bouts of stomach bug (I suspect norovirus). Three times in three weeks is NOT normal. Deer in the headlights look. "They have a new doctor". Granted, this co-worker isn't very bright. Having four kids in a row from four different men kind of explains it.

I told her if they were MY kids I'd be insisting on some answers, starting with the doctor, and push to find out about the day care's sanitary practices and cleanliness. The constant illness of her kids could be caused by fecal contamination. She claims her youngest (age one) hasn't been eating. I told her she should keep a journal of her kids' illnesses, symptoms, and health issues, document them, inform the doctor, and report it to the Board of Health if necessary. Deer in the headlights look. Uhhh...when they are sick, write it down. In a notebook. Write down the dates when they are sick or not eating normally. If they are throwing up. The dates and times. If they have diarrhea write it down. And the dates and times. Duh.

They should start with taking some surface culture samples, or at least make sure those day care workers are washing their hands. I asked her if the workers at that daycare were even trained and certified. Deer in the headlights look.

I'm done. I'm almost 64, 38 years older than she is, more than old enough to be her mother, more than a little judgmental, and maybe I shouldn't have butted in. But I'm the one who has to fill in for her when she constantly misses work every week and at my age I'm frankly getting tired of it. She's a struggling single mother, and she is not paid for all those missed days, so it's got to be a financial hardship on her part. Frequent bouts of stomach bug like that, with vomiting and diarrhea can be serious for young children, causing electrolyte imbalances. Deer in the headlights. She had the youngest in the ER two weeks ago and was informed she was dehydrated.

Old 02-12-2024, 09:05 AM

423 posts, read 267,547 times
Quote:
Okay, update on this situation...co-worker was back to work yesterday, and I asked her what her kids' doctor says about these frequent bouts of stomach bug (I suspect norovirus). Three times in three weeks is NOT normal. Deer in the headlights look. "They have a new doctor". Granted, this co-worker isn't very bright. Having four kids in a row from four different men kind of explains it.

I told her if they were MY kids I'd be insisting on some answers, starting with the doctor, and push to find out about the day care's sanitary practices and cleanliness. The constant illness of her kids could be caused by fecal contamination. She claims her youngest (age one) hasn't been eating. I told her she should keep a journal of her kids' illnesses, symptoms, and health issues, document them, inform the doctor, and report it to the Board of Health if necessary. Deer in the headlights look. Uhhh...when they are sick, write it down. In a notebook. Write down the dates when they are sick or not eating normally. If they are throwing up. The dates and times. If they have diarrhea write it down. And the dates and times. Duh.

They should start with taking some surface culture samples, or at least make sure those day care workers are washing their hands. I asked her if the workers at that daycare were even trained and certified. Deer in the headlights look.

I'm done. I'm almost 64, 38 years older than she is, more than old enough to be her mother, more than a little judgmental, and maybe I shouldn't have butted in. But I'm the one who has to fill in for her when she constantly misses work every week and at my age I'm frankly getting tired of it. She's a struggling single mother, and she is not paid for all those missed days, so it's got to be a financial hardship on her part. Frequent bouts of stomach bug like that, with vomiting and diarrhea can be serious for young children, causing electrolyte imbalances. Deer in the headlights. She had the youngest in the ER two weeks ago and was informed she was dehydrated.
The woman is 26 with four kids fathered by four different men? I’m not certain you’ll be able to reason well with her.

Old 02-13-2024, 10:30 AM

36,531 posts, read 30,856,131 times
Quote:

We have an employee who has a young child, now in first grade, I think. She is a good parent and this is her second go around, with her older child almost finished with her bachelors degree. She calls out all the time with sick child. It is usually on a Friday or Monday, sometimes both. She is out a lot. She had to take Friday off to go to truancy court. Her child has already missed over 10 days this year.

Some of us have our doubts about the actual frequency of her child's illnesses and think it is sometimes just an excuse to blow off work.

Old 03-02-2024, 11:02 PM

11,159 posts, read 7,961,718 times
I am a SAHM and homeschooler so……

Old 03-05-2024, 08:09 PM

7,341 posts, read 4,131,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
We have an employee who has a young child, now in first grade, I think. She is a good parent and this is her second go around, with her older child almost finished with her bachelors degree. She calls out all the time with sick child. It is usually on a Friday or Monday, sometimes both. She is out a lot. She had to take Friday off to go to truancy court. Her child has already missed over 10 days this year.

Some of us have our doubts about the actual frequency of her child's illnesses and think it is sometimes just an excuse to blow off work.
My kids' school allowed up to 20 sick days a year. We barely made it every single year. I guess my kids had worse immunity than their classmates. Well, my son was asthmatic which was a significant issue. Even today, my son is sick more frequently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting