Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2023, 06:57 AM

22,587 posts, read 47,649,975 times

Advertisements

I am with your wife.
You don't need everyone's opinions on your names.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2023, 06:58 AM

120 posts, read 229,112 times
[quote=SnazzyB;65453597]You know...probably someone somewhere WILL make fun of his name. But if someone doesn't make fun of him for his name, then it'll be something else. That's just how it is with kids.

Regarding your baby's name, maybe as your child grows, explain to him how much you and your wife loved the name, but explain how kids MIGHT make fun of it, and tell him how he can 'come back' at the kids, and not let the name calling bother him.

That's great advice- thank you!

Old 06-23-2023, 07:18 AM

3,024 posts, read 2,238,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
I know three 'first-name' Coopers... all are canines.
People names are very common dog names, and Cooper is high on the list but not number one: https://www.akc.org/expert-advice/li...lar-dog-names/

FWIW, I know two people named Cooper, and both are female.

And whatever is cool today will be awful a generation from now, so... whatever! Pick what you like!

Old 06-23-2023, 07:36 AM

13,714 posts, read 12,427,493 times
Better than Aiden, Brayden, or Caedyn.
https://babylonbee.com/news/kid-at-b...yden-or-jayden

Old 06-23-2023, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shallow Hal View Post
OP this is great advice, to practice yelling the name and saying the full name out loud does make a difference.

Cooper is a fine name and I like Coop too as a nickname.

But it really doesn't matter what I think OP. I'm not sure you're "feeling" the name anymore. Are you moving away from it and looking for justification to do so?

Would love you to share some of the other names you're considering OP. I love names. Even to the point of asking dog owners their dog's names.

That's the thing, I still like it but it is tainted a bit now- so i'm honestly not sure if I'm still "feeling" it now.

Other names on MY list (not necessarily my wife's list):

Carter, Landon, Abbott (don't know if i'm honestly serious about this name or not), Nolan, Owen, Braxton, Fielding.

Old 06-23-2023, 08:32 AM

1,529 posts, read 2,264,024 times
We found we really liked 1 syllable first name w/ middle 2 and last name 2. Just sounded more harmonious to our ears. Our son has less common name but not unusual which is like my name. My husband has a really unusual name and it gets screwed up all the time. I also felt bad for the kids that were Noah 1 and Noah 2, etc. Just don't go for a really popular name that's trending.

Old 06-23-2023, 08:57 AM

1,462 posts, read 659,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samsclubcoffee View Post
That's the thing, I still like it but it is tainted a bit now- so i'm honestly not sure if I'm still "feeling" it now.

Carter, Landon, Abbott (don't know if i'm honestly serious about this name or not), Nolan, Owen, Braxton, Fielding.
I love your picks except I'm not sure about Abbott either....

My niece named her son Brody to the dismay of the family. But now everyone agrees he IS a Brody and no other name would fit as well.

FWIW, I love last names for first names. Apparently a ton of people agree. Especially common practice in the South.

And I still love the name Cooper!

Old 06-23-2023, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shallow Hal View Post
I love your picks except I'm not sure about Abbott either....

My niece named her son Brody to the dismay of the family. But now everyone agrees he IS a Brody and no other name would fit as well.

FWIW, I love last names for first names. Apparently a ton of people agree. Especially common practice in the South.

And I still love the name Cooper!
I really like last names as first names too!

Old 06-23-2023, 09:36 AM

1,131 posts, read 1,246,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samsclubcoffee View Post

Abbott, Braxton, Fielding NO!

Put yourself in the baby's shoes. Would you want to saddled with a moniker like that?
Just say no to faux upscale, gender ambigous, TV characters, unique spelling, trendy names.

Old 06-23-2023, 09:44 AM

6,864 posts, read 4,860,189 times
Why not just take the fifty most popular boys names and throw them out. Let your kid be the only one in his class with his name. I am so glad my parents didn't give me one of the popular names.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting