Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2023, 09:53 AM

2,869 posts, read 1,148,568 times

Advertisements

You've chosen the name. It's really between the two of you.
If I were an auntie to this guy, I'd call him super duper Cooper.
Enjoy him, and love him up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2023, 10:04 AM

1,462 posts, read 658,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOldPuss View Post
You've chosen the name. It's really between the two of you.
If I were an auntie to this guy, I'd call him super duper Cooper.
Enjoy him, and love him up.
Sweet post Old P.

Sam, If you want, you could certainly choose the other names for Cooper's middle name. They all sound really good with Cooper. Abbott as a middle name fits well IMHO. As another poster so rightly said: Watch out for those initials. Making sure they don't spell out something unflattering.

Old 06-23-2023, 10:15 AM

45,336 posts, read 60,512,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Twist View Post
Why not just take the fifty most popular boys names and throw them out. Let your kid be the only one in his class with his name. I am so glad my parents didn't give me one of the popular names.
Not having a "popular" name isn't all it's cracked up to be. I have hated my name for, well, I'll be 69 Sunday.

It's androgynous and is a shortened version of a couple others. The latter has created problems my entire life. When I was 16 and took my driver's license test the PSP trooper wasn't going to approve it unless I listed my "real" name. Which I had already done.

I once had my picture in the local paper for something and the caption writer used a longer incorrect version. I never heard the end of it from my mother. In fact, she brought it up the last time I saw her two weeks before she died, which was 40 years after it happened.

My military paperwork always had to be corrected as did my dog tags.

Old 06-23-2023, 11:13 AM

2,912 posts, read 2,045,913 times
I always liked the name Jackson as a first name.

Old 06-23-2023, 11:42 AM

1,462 posts, read 658,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Not having a "popular" name isn't all it's cracked up to be. I have hated my name for, well, I'll be 69 Sunday.

It's androgynous and is a shortened version of a couple others. The latter has created problems my entire life. When I was 16 and took my driver's license test the PSP trooper wasn't going to approve it unless I listed my "real" name. Which I had already done.

I once had my picture in the local paper for something and the caption writer used a longer incorrect version. I never heard the end of it from my mother. In fact, she brought it up the last time I saw her two weeks before she died, which was 40 years after it happened.

My military paperwork always had to be corrected as did my dog tags.
^^^^^^
This. Agree wholeheartedly.

Popular names are popular for a reason. There's nothing wrong with picking a pleasing, popular, young sounding name IMO.

Old 06-23-2023, 01:24 PM

1,529 posts, read 2,263,242 times
Yikes, I would hate to be one of 5 girls in my class named Madison. My son has an internship this summer and two out out the five interns are Noah and THREE others in this small company are Noah as well. I worked for a company many years ago and we had 3 Heather's in a department of 20.

Old 06-23-2023, 01:57 PM

5,587 posts, read 8,399,588 times
I always thought Cooper Kupp was a perfect name for an NFL wide receiver. But who knows, he might have been made fun of too, especially with Kupp as a last name. But anyway, I wouldn't eliminate the name because of your dumb family member -- kids will find a way to make fun of anything. However, two things: How well does it go with your last name, and are you sure you want to use a name that's trendy (with both kids and dogs)? I would try to find a name that's not going to have multiples in the class.

I'm not a fan of androgynous names (see above, many girls are also named Cooper), although I always liked the name Kyle for a girl. Also, I like alliterative names (see Cooper Kupp above, or say, January Jones).

My family is famous for naming the kids Junior, or III, or even V, in one case. (Even the girls.) I spoke to one friend who said he'd never name his kid Junior again. It's caused many problems and confusion with official documents and passports. Looks like the younger generation is wising up -- now picking names like Theo and Sloane. (Except for the family with the kid named the 5th).

Please keep us posted!

Old 06-23-2023, 04:05 PM

50,343 posts, read 63,918,476 times
You and your wife should choose whatever name you love. It does not matter what anyone thinks.

All I will add is that I am old and have done the family genealogy. If your family story is important to you, at all, then try to maintain the family connection in some way.

Old 06-23-2023, 04:17 PM

9,114 posts, read 6,160,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shallow Hal View Post
Sweet post Old P.

Sam, If you want, you could certainly choose the other names for Cooper's middle name. They all sound really good with Cooper. Abbott as a middle name fits well IMHO. As another poster so rightly said: Watch out for those initials. Making sure they don't spell out something unflattering.

Barbara Jeans have had this problem!

Old 06-23-2023, 04:21 PM

11,085 posts, read 17,530,236 times
I know somebody named Ben. Went from Ben, Ben, a big fat hen, in grade school days to hearing people sing Michael Jackson's "Ben". Like others said, no matter what you name him, SOMEbody will come up with something. He, and you, will just have to grin and bear it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting