Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2023, 08:20 AM

3,933 posts, read 2,190,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shill22 View Post
First of all, I never said I don’t do anything with the LO. I want to go outside also since it’s summer time.
this is an infant they cannot talk & they only drink milk. I sing to my lo, play with them but they’re only awake for maybe an hour full alert. After that it’s sleep wake up to eat back to sleep. You don’t sound like you have children or you had them a very long time ago. A 2 month old only drinks milk what food would I be preparing for them?
A 2 month old can’t even hold their head up, teach them words? You are out of touch with reality.
Deleted
2 month the baby should be able to hold their head.

https://my.clevelandclinic.org/healt...estones-safety

(Btw, FWIW the US standard for baby development milestones as in the above - are not as advanced as in some other countries - we have children in diapers routinely until they sometimes 2-3 years old - an abomination to support the pumpers industry)

Obviously- if your baby still can’t hold their head up unless you are supporting it in your arms - to offer spoonful of puréed food like vegetables, fruit and meat.
It is healthier for them - earlier introduction of tiny amounts of different tastes vs contaminants in commercial food.

Think if you have to survive, grow and develop on a bunch of chemicals in formula, etc.

Mother’s breast is so better, but still an early introduction of puréed fruit, veggies and meats is helpful to baby’s development.

P.S. no need to be angry with me: the advice is given in good faith and a desire to help your baby.
(And keep you from being bored - so much to learn)

Last edited by june 7th; 07-29-2023 at 03:02 PM.. Reason: A bit rude on a new mom...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2023, 08:41 AM

3,143 posts, read 1,599,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L00k4ward View Post
Orphaned

(Btw, FWIW the US standard for baby development milestones as in the above - are not as advanced as in some other countries - we have children in diapers routinely until they sometimes 2-3 years old - an abomination to support the pumpers industry)

Obviously- if your baby still can’t hold their head up - you can’t offer spoonful of puréed food like vegetables, fruit and meat.
It is healthier for them - earlier introduction of tiny amounts of different tastes vs contaminants in commercial food.

Think if you have to survive, grow and develop on a bunch of chemicals in formula, etc.

Mother’s breast is so better, but still an early introduction of puréed fruit, veggies and meats is helpful to baby’s development.

P.S. no need to be angry with me: the advice is given in good faith and a desire to help your baby.
Give it a rest. I am sure the OP has a pediatrician and takes her baby for check ups.

My daughter tried to do everything according to guidelines and even used a lactation consultant who kept pressuring her to continue. The baby wasn't gaining weight and she was becoming a wreck. I told her to give up as I did when it didn't work for me. (My pediatrician concurred.) Postpartum depression is real.
We need to support mothers and not just give "recommended" guidelines for helping baby.

Last edited by june 7th; 07-29-2023 at 03:02 PM..

Old 06-24-2023, 09:08 AM

16,351 posts, read 8,174,665 times
Postpartum depression is definitely real. I see nothing wrong with asking for advice on a forum, having a newborn isn't easy for everyone. I personally enjoyed it, I really savored the moments of just being able to lay there with my baby on me during my maternity leave. I went back to work when my kids were 13 weeks old. These days seems like people get a longer maternity leave.

I do sometimes wonder why people don't think more about what they will do when they are home alone with a baby for months on end before the baby arrives. It doesn't get any easier when you go back to work and they start walking ether. lol.

Old 06-24-2023, 09:55 AM

7,334 posts, read 4,127,994 times
Quote:
Orphaned

Obviously- if your baby still can’t hold their head up unless you are supporting it in your arms - to offer spoonful of puréed food like vegetables, fruit and meat.

It was given in good faith.

Like LOOK4forward said - I had an old (past retirement age) doctor advise me to start feeding solids at four months. My son began eating at four months without any problems vs my daughter who didn't eat until almost a year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddie104 View Post
My daughter tried to do everything according to guidelines and even used a lactation consultant who kept pressuring her to continue. The baby wasn't gaining weight and she was becoming a wreck. I told her to give up as I did when it didn't work for me. (My pediatrician concurred.)

Adding my two cents - my first child had a very trauma birth with a c-section. When my doctor delivered my child, she was blue from her umbilical cord wrapped round her neck three times. I couldn't produce enough milk to breastfed her. My second birth, my son lack the mouth coordination to breastfed. Yet, if you listen to the "experts" my children were doomed to serious illness without breastmilk. Of course, if I listened to the "experts" I would have insisted on a natural birth which would have killed my first born. Personally, I think it's the difference between reality and "expert" opinions adds significantly to postpartum depression.

------------------

Our go-go, productive society is the exact opposite of what babies and new mothers need. There is no reason to justify your time spent. Think of this as getting to know your baby time. When you were getting to know your husband, you spent large amount of time just hanging out. It's the same here. You are getting to know your baby by hanging out.

You may not realize it but babies recognize their mother's smell. As their eyesight is so bad in the beginning, smell is how they find mom. Babies remember their sound of their mother's voice from the womb. I used to sing to my daughter when I was pregnant with my son. The first time I sang after he was born, you could tell he recognized the song. So you may not think you are doing much, but your child is learning by hearing your voice everyday. It's why:

Quote:
"Studies of the phonetic units of language have shown that early in life, infants are capable of discerning differences among the phonetic units of all languages, including native- and foreign-language sounds. Between 6 and 12 mo of age, the ability to discriminate foreign-language phonetic units sharply declines
"https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC166444/#:~:text=Studies%20of%20the%20phonetic%20units,lan guage%20phonetic%20units%20sharply%20declines.

Last edited by june 7th; 07-29-2023 at 03:03 PM..

Old 06-24-2023, 10:28 AM

32,638 posts, read 48,015,234 times
If you are bored sitting at home and watching TV, then stop sitting at home. Bundle the kid up and go places. Go to the park, go to the library, go for walks in the woods. Not only is it good for you, it is extremely good for the kid to start young and learn to go to strange places and be adventurous. When my kid was itty bitty, I took him camping with me, and to the beach with me, and to visit friends with me. He gardened with me, sitting there is his little baby carrier. All that time spent doing stuff with your infant is bonding time.

As soon as his neck got strong enough to hold his head up, he went horse back riding with me.

He was raised with dogs and chickens and did chores with me as soon as he was barely able to walk.

For the times you must sit home, find an interest. Take up needlepoint, or mosaics. Decide to become an expert in an interesting subject and bring out the books. Focus on your child's development and learn what games to play with the child to make him smarter and faster and more socialized. Write a novel.

I almost can't comprehend the idea of sitting at home and doing nothing.

Old 06-24-2023, 10:37 AM

16,351 posts, read 8,174,665 times
Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
If you are bored sitting at home and watching TV, then stop sitting at home. Bundle the kid up and go places. Go to the park, go to the library, go for walks in the woods. Not only is it good for you, it is extremely good for the kid to start young and learn to go to strange places and be adventurous. When my kid was itty bitty, I took him camping with me, and to the beach with me, and to visit friends with me. He gardened with me, sitting there is his little baby carrier. All that time spent doing stuff with your infant is bonding time.

As soon as his neck got strong enough to hold his head up, he went horse back riding with me.

He was raised with dogs and chickens and did chores with me as soon as he was barely able to walk.

For the times you must sit home, find an interest. Take up needlepoint, or mosaics. Decide to become an expert in an interesting subject and bring out the books. Focus on your child's development and learn what games to play with the child to make him smarter and faster and more socialized. Write a novel.

I almost can't comprehend the idea of sitting at home and doing nothing.
She did say they don't live in a great neighborhood and she has no car. I take that to mean there are unsavory people in the neighborhood who would make a walk with a baby unpleasant? The last thing I'd want is to be heckled or lord forbid mugged while walking with a newborn.

I am someone who enjoys lounging and that's fairly easy to do with a newborn so I'd be ok. Netflix would be a blessing...also maybe some cooking if you're up for it.

Old 06-24-2023, 12:02 PM

7,990 posts, read 5,385,476 times
Quote:
I am not going to argue with you : it is your baby and their future.
Oh my goodness. OP came in here for support. Be gentle--she is a new mother.

Old 06-24-2023, 12:50 PM

22,469 posts, read 11,990,487 times
Quote:
First of all, I never said I don’t do anything with the LO. I want to go outside also since it’s summer time.
this is an infant they cannot talk & they only drink milk. I sing to my lo, play with them but they’re only awake for maybe an hour full alert. After that it’s sleep wake up to eat back to sleep. You don’t sound like you have children or you had them a very long time ago. A 2 month old only drinks milk what food would I be preparing for them?
A 2 month old can’t even hold their head up, teach them words? You are out of touch with reality.
I, for one, also agree that you don't feed a 2 month old any solid foods. When our daughter was a baby, the pediatrician said to wait until she was 6 months old for that.

You can talk to your little one and point out things. They won't understand at that young an age but as they get older, even though they aren't able to talk, they will recognize items that were consistently pointed out to them.

When my husband would come home from work, I was often sitting on the couch. The door to our apartment opened up right into the living room. Once I would hear him unlock the door, I would point to the door and say to our daughter "Daddy". Fast forward to when she was a year old and not yet really talking. I was at a Mommy and me class when someone opened the door to the classroom. Our daughter saw the door open and whispered "Dada" One of the other mothers saw and heard that. She asked what was happening. I guess our daughter thought when the door opened "Daddy" would be there.

I would take our daughter outside during the summer, weather permitting. One day I was walking around our apartment complex when a woman came out to her balcony and asked if I would take care of her son when she went back to work! Okay...I understand that she needed a sitter but ask a total stranger? Anyway, when I would take our daughter out for walks, sometimes people would stop to fuss over her. That was nice as I would end up chatting a bit with them.

Old 06-24-2023, 01:39 PM

9,117 posts, read 6,174,802 times
Have you decided to break your lease and move to the other apartment?

Regardless of where you live you can take the bus to almost any place in NYC. NYC buses have added space for strollers. "Strolling Right Along: MTA Adds Baby Carriage Space on More Buses"

"Danielle Avissar, a Manhattan mother who was among several parents who campaigned last year for the MTA to create space for strollers, said the option to board a bus with an unfolded carriage has been “life-changing.”

“I don’t have to deal with the awkwardness of getting on the bus anymore,” Avissar told THE CITY. “Even when the bus is packed, I tell people, ‘Hey, you’re sitting in a designated area,’ they get up, there’s no arguments, everyone’s behaving.”"

https://www.thecity.nyc/2023/1/24/23...ace-more-buses

If you are uncomfortable taking the bus, call an Uber or Lyft.

Uber to the park. As you said, Central Park is free, available, and accessible with stroller. The Central Park Zoo is good for visual stimulation for the baby.

Uber to a mall. This works if you are in the Outer Boroughs.

Uber to a museum. Ton of museums in NYC.

Uber to a better neighborhood and walk around the shops and talk with other people. If you are in Manhattan, walking up and down Madison Ave in the 60's, 70's, and 80's is wonderful. Lots of window shopping and good sidewalks.

Uber to a casual restaurant and treat yourself to lunch. Don't forget to take care of you. Some indulgence is good for you.

Last edited by Lillie767; 06-24-2023 at 01:53 PM..

Old 06-24-2023, 02:39 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,909,665 times
Quote:
Bored

My baby is too young to take the public transportation with so I’m stuck in an apartment waiting for the weekend to come every week just to get some fresh air at a park or visit family/friends.

Are there any other mothers dealing with the same issues(I doubt it tho). What are you FTM’s doing while caring for the lo?
You can put the baby in a carrier and take her on public transit. She is NOT too young for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting