Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2023, 08:51 PM

79 posts, read 48,246 times

Advertisements

Bored

Is it normal to feel bored and lonely now ?
My husband and I have been sharing a car because my car is too small to fit our LO’s car seat + stroller and it’s starting to have mechanical problems.

My husband works m-Fri second shift & he drives the car to work, he’s gone majority of the day.

So I’ve been stuck in the house for the past 2months with the baby. Just watching Netflix and caring for the lo.

Im not depressed yet but I’m going to be if I stay like this until December. (When my maternity leave is over)

We can’t buy another car right now since I won’t be getting paid for the last 4months of my leave and we’re saving to buy a house soon.

My neighborhood isn’t the best neighborhood to go take a stroll through with a baby. Also family and friends don’t live close by to visit me.

My baby is too young to take the public transportation with so I’m stuck in an apartment waiting for the weekend to come every week just to get some fresh air at a park or visit family/friends.

Are there any other mothers dealing with the same issues(I doubt it tho). What are you FTM’s doing while caring for the lo?
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2023, 01:39 AM

22,453 posts, read 11,977,478 times
Yes, it's normal to feel "bored and lonely" and long for adult conversation. However, one thing that helped me get past all that was reminding myself that our daughter wouldn't be this little forever. Thus, I resolved to make the most of my time with her and appreciate all the milestones she hit. Looking back at that time in her life, I have no regrets when it came to being at home with her.

Old 06-23-2023, 03:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
Yes, it's normal to feel "bored and lonely" and long for adult conversation. However, one thing that helped me get past all that was reminding myself that our daughter wouldn't be this little forever. Thus, I resolved to make the most of my time with her and appreciate all the milestones she hit. Looking back at that time in her life, I have no regrets when it came to being at home with her.
Thank you for giving me that way to think of it.
I just feel like maybe I should be doing more or something else also with my time while on leave.

Old 06-23-2023, 05:18 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,666,970 times
OP, I noticed that you mentioned your husband is on 2nd shift. Are you able to do anything in the morning before he leaves on his shift? I had a friend who joined a mommy group at the library, which IIRC was in the morning. It helped her gain some friends/connections while she was staying at home.

My sister was in the same situation as you and she was absolutely miserable. Initially they had a tiny apartment until the baby was about 4 months old. She wasn’t even able to pursue any hobbies when the baby was sleeping because there wasn’t even anywhere quiet he could go. I think it improved when they moved to a larger place, even though that was basically in winter when the weather is pretty awful where they live. They had (and still have) just the one car. My sister is into home-based hobbies like sewing, knitting, etc that are quiet enough to do if you have more than one room and the baby is napping.

Old 06-23-2023, 05:21 AM

22,568 posts, read 47,624,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shill22 View Post

My husband works m-Fri second shift & he drives the car to work, he’s gone majority of the day.

Second shift here is either 3 to 11, or 4 to 12.

So you can have all morning to take the car and do some things outside the house on your own.

Old 06-23-2023, 09:42 AM

7,323 posts, read 4,118,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post

So you can have all morning to take the car and do some things outside the house on your own.
This is a great idea!

When my husband worked 9 to 5, I would go out after dinner. Most times I ran into the supermarket for a couple of item - just to get out of the house! On the way home, I took the longest possible route to listen to my music and to be alone. I joked with friends in a mommy group and every single women did exactly the same thing. Looked for longer routes home to have time alone!

You might want to try a foreign language program/app. It's good for you to exercise your mind and for your baby to hear new sounds. I made homemade Christmas cards in my first year home. Baby scrapbooks are so big because so many women are home looking for things to do. Plotting family trees for your baby's history is fun too.

When I look back at thirty years ago, I remember my boredom and feeling stuck. Mainly, I miss it now. It's such a short period of time and once it's gone, it's over and there is a saddest about it.

Old 06-23-2023, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post

Not necessarily, because we’re tired from being up at night with the LO and by the time we get up to go outside he has to get ready to go to work.

We struggle to make it to morning doctor appointments. That morning window isn’t that much time especially if I’m exhausted.

Old 06-23-2023, 11:12 AM

16,317 posts, read 8,140,203 times
I also agree with just try to enjoy it because it is over VERY quick.

Old 06-23-2023, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I also agree with just try to enjoy it because it is over VERY quick.
Right! Thank you for putting it that way. I will enjoy every moment with my LO before I have to return to work.

Old 06-23-2023, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
This is a great idea!

When my husband worked 9 to 5, I would go out after dinner. Most times I ran into the supermarket for a couple of item - just to get out of the house! On the way home, I took the longest possible route to listen to my music and to be alone. I joked with friends in a mommy group and every single women did exactly the same thing. Looked for longer routes home to have time alone!

You might want to try a foreign language program/app. It's good for you to exercise your mind and for your baby to hear new sounds. I made homemade Christmas cards in my first year home. Baby scrapbooks are so big because so many women are home looking for things to do. Plotting family trees for your baby's history is fun too.

When I look back at thirty years ago, I remember my boredom and feeling stuck. Mainly, I miss it now. It's such a short period of time and once it's gone, it's over and there is a saddest about it.

Thank you those are good ideas. I’ll try the new languages
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting